2021 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

10 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I mean, it absolutely is. Cap space isn't a one year thing. We have room and have Campbell and Williams on expiring and they are two of our highest cap hits.

I understand that cap space isn’t a 1 year thing. But you still need to pay a WR1 what he thinks he’s worth this year in 2021 and unless we do pretty much nothing else in FA we won’t be able to do that this upcoming season.

People are talking about Arob being in the $17-20 a year range. It’s fine and dandy that we’ll have more cap in 2022 (that most will go Lamar’s extension) from Williams/Campbell but it’s not feasible to expect Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay to take like 8-10 mil this year before their salary gets bumped up in 2022-onward. Some other team will structure an offer where those guys will make that 15-20 range figure in the early years of their deal - starting in 2021.

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I understand that cap space isn’t a 1 year thing. But you still need to pay a WR1 what he thinks he’s worth this year in 2021 and unless we do pretty much nothing else in FA we won’t be able to do that this upcoming season.

People are talking about Arob being in the $17-20 a year range. It’s fine and dandy that we’ll have more cap in 2022 (that most will go Lamar’s extension) from Williams/Campbell but it’s not feasible to expect Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay to take like 8-10 mil this year before their salary gets bumped up in 2022-onward. Some other team will structure an offer where those guys will make that 15-20 range figure in the early years of their deal - starting in 2021.

With the way teams can structure contracts, specifically with how signing bonuses work and the cap prorations involving them, the Ravens could give Robinson a contract that only has a $8-10 million cap hit but the actual money he's making in the first year is that $15-20 million number. If Baltimore wants to sign a receiver to a big contract they absolutely have the space to do so with a little wiggle room left afterwards. I'm doubting that's the case though.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Robinson or Golladay having a $8-10m cap hit is not the same as them getting paid $8-10m this year. We can pay them what they want while minimizing the damage in Year 1. Long term contracts give you the opportunity to be creative with how you structure it. 

If you think we had the room to do it at 20m of cap space then I don't really see how it being impossible at 15m. Reality is we have the room to do it either way. Whether we go for it is a different question, but we should be clear that it's a choice that the organization is making, not just circumstances conspiring against us. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

If you think we had the room to do it at 20m of cap space then I don't really see how it being impossible at 15m. Reality is we have the room to do it either way. Whether we go for it is a different question, but we should be clear that it's a choice that the organization is making, not just circumstances conspiring against us. 

Exactly. 100% cap space is such a simple problem. It's a conscious choice if we don't make any given move. Not circumstances. The team is smart enough to know that.

It'd sign everyone we can this offseason to 3-5++ year deals. The salary cap is going to absolutely explode in the next couple years. I'm super confident about that (Sports betting, streaming, demand for content, changes in viewing habits). The amount of thought by fans that goes into saving a few million in cap space for and NFL franchise to help their chance at a title... it's an utter waste.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

The other factor to consider is just how much Steve Bisciotti is willing to pay. If he’s liquid enough, like everyone said, we could easily bring in an Allen Robinson. The DeAndre Hopkins deal being a model for how to structure Robinson’s cap hits. If Bisciotti has the money, we could pay Allen Robinson a signing bonus of $27.5m, with a 2021 base salary fully guaranteed at $1.5m, which would pay Robinson $29m in cash year one, while only providing us a cap hit of $7m.

Which in turn would give us another $8m to play around with. We could then use extensions to current players to free up the amount of money needed to retain some of our defensive performers like Wolfe, McPhee, and Ward OR going all in on Ngakoue instead (if his asking price APY is somewhere closer to that $12-13m range.). Now obviously they would have to leave enough cap left to sign draft picks and pay out incentives and sign guys in-season, so they’d be very much capped with these moves.

But just saying with the current cap space they could technically get very creative.

18 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The other factor to consider is just how much Steve Bisciotti is willing to pay. If he’s liquid enough,

IIRC He's one the wealthiest owners in the league. Don't think that would be an issue.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

AB is still a scumbag and that hasn't changed.  Until it has changed, there is next to zero chance the Ravens sign him imo

I want zero part of that dude. I don't want him that close to Hollywood. He's done some horrid stuff. No way we touch him. 

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

The other factor to consider is just how much Steve Bisciotti is willing to pay. If he’s liquid enough, like everyone said, we could easily bring in an Allen Robinson. The DeAndre Hopkins deal being a model for how to structure Robinson’s cap hits. If Bisciotti has the money, we could pay Allen Robinson a signing bonus of $27.5m, with a 2021 base salary fully guaranteed at $1.5m, which would pay Robinson $29m in cash year one, while only providing us a cap hit of $7m.

Which in turn would give us another $8m to play around with. We could then use extensions to current players to free up the amount of money needed to retain some of our defensive performers like Wolfe, McPhee, and Ward OR going all in on Ngakoue instead (if his asking price APY is somewhere closer to that $12-13m range.). Now obviously they would have to leave enough cap left to sign draft picks and pay out incentives and sign guys in-season, so they’d be very much capped with these moves.

But just saying with the current cap space they could technically get very creative.

If there has ever been a year to show how overrated the cap is, it's this year. Look at the moves already made. When there's a will, there's a way. Teams will get it done. 

I know a lot of people were upset with Yannicks sack production this year but he really played well and what he did didn't show up on the stat sheet but he was darn good. He's the priority and then AR, in my eyes. See if we can get a guy like Ertz too. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I know a lot of people were upset with Yannicks sack production this year but he really played well and what he did didn't show up on the stat sheet but he was darn good.

Felt like he was centimeters away on like 8 Strip Sacks. Dude's pressure stats started to resemble his breakout year in Jax too. I was happy with how he played tbh.

Re: Cap Space for WR

Got it, that makes sense. Will be interesting to see if they go that route or try and do OL and OLB in FA and a WR in the draft.

With our penchant for drafting WRs I'd honestly rather prefer the former.

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Re: Cap Space for WR

Got it, that makes sense. Will be interesting to see if they go that route or try and do OL and OLB in FA and a WR in the draft.

With our penchant for drafting WRs I'd honestly rather prefer the former.

Same. Especially when we combine just exactly how deep this draft is along the OL with our penchant for drafting studs and developing them to their highest potential.

Matt Skura was fodder that we made look mediocre. Just imagine if we added top talent OL like whats available in this draft. I have no issues relying on rookies, if they’re good. Brown Jr, Kelechi Osemele, Marshal Yanda all looked good as rookies. I trust the coaches to get this OL core up and running without a Brandon Scherff FA addition if enough talent is provided to the unit.

• Like 1