2021 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

Those carries to Mason to close out that WFT game essentially sealed his fate. Teams that like quality FBs were always going to pounce. He’s got PB caliber FB traits and we let him go.

The team is deep so it’s hard to say who should’ve gotten cut in his place, but considering I don’t have much hope for Miles Boykin, my list probably would’ve began with him.

Though the opportunity for Mason will certainly be better elsewhere considering the redundancy we have here. However that redundancy was present when we drafted him. Can’t help but feel that was a wasted pick/opportunity. Oh well.

I think another interesting choice re: cutting Nigel Warrior was choosing to keep ILB Kristian Welch over him. I get that we were thin with #s there after the Fort injury, and they both ideally would be special teams only guys this upcoming year, but can’t help but think the ceiling on Warrior as an actual defender is much higher. Now that we have Bynes to supplement the ILBs, I wonder if the team is second guessing keeping Welch over Warrior.

Bummed we couldn't get McCrary on our Practice Squad. Expected to lose Warrior, but I liked McCrary's upside and was hoping we could stash him. 

Remember though, Geno Stone wasn't with us last year and now he is. So sometimes these things have a way of just working out.

Think the Bynes move was a smart one. He played great for us last time around. 

The zoom out on the Ben Mason pick isn't pretty, feels like a waste, but I'm happy the FO isn't trying to save face by keeping the redundancy on the roster. We didn't need another FB and there's only a few teams in the league that utilize the position. Not a shock that he'd get picked up by someone like the Pats. I'm sure they're geeked about their running game this year.

Hard agree with Ken here. It's pathetic that we're in any way still attached to Andre Smith. He isn't a fieldable player. Shows had bad our situation at OT is.-

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Now that we have Bynes to supplement the ILBs, I wonder if the team is second guessing keeping Welch over Warrior.

They might be, but I think they're rightfully confident in their ability to identify young upside DBs at this point. I mean just this offseason we had 4 young options(Stone,Washington,Westry,Warrior) who weren't on the active roster last year that fans would've loved to retain. It's possible they're less confident at LB. Can't forget Warrior was more of a S than he is a CB too. Our depth at S likely forced him down to CB(to good preseason results), and the FO might've viewed him as a S with CB versatility- which we already have in Brandon Stephens and Ardarius Washington who were above him at S. 

Also I think they thought Warrior had the best chance to survive waivers. I mentioned it earlier, there's a chance we could get him back at some point like we did Geno Stone. So that's something to monitor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike Warrior and McCrary...Ben Mason cleared waivers. So he chose to sign to the Pats PS over ours. There's a growing thought out there that Mason's selection was heavily pushed by John, with Ben being his Michigan guy, and EDC accommodated him. Leading to this situation where Harbaugh might've felt he had a relationship with the kid and possibly an agreement that he wanted to come back to our PS. Yet he didn't, and now John is fuming(leading to edged comments like the one below) that a pick he stuck his neck out for essentially burned him.

If that's the case it's a dumb move by Mason. It'd be understandable if the Pats signed him off our PS and elevated him to their main roster then. No one could begrudge him for that. To sign him to their PS though, giving them more room to maneuver before elevating you, that's directly aiding the enemy and likely burning a bridge with our organization/HC. 

Wonder if this whole situation mutes Harbs' voice in the war room come next draft? Wouldn't blame him.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike Warrior and McCrary...Ben Mason cleared waivers. So he chose to sign to the Pats PS over ours. There's a growing thought out there that Mason's selection was heavily pushed by John, with Ben being his Michigan guy, and EDC accommodated him. Leading to this situation where Harbaugh might've felt he had a relationship with the kid and possibly an agreement that he wanted to come back to our PS. Yet he didn't, and now John is fuming(leading to edged comments like the one below) that a pick he stuck his neck out for essentially burned him.

If that's the case it's a dumb move by Mason. It'd be understandable if the Pats signed him off our PS and elevated him to their main roster then. No one could begrudge him for that. To sign him to their PS though, giving them more room to maneuver before elevating you, that's directly aiding the enemy and likely burning a bridge with our organization/HC. 

Wonder if this whole situation mutes Harbs' voice in the war room come next draft? Wouldn't blame him.

This is why I didn't understand the argument that drafting Mason wasn't a waste because it meant that the Ravens would have first dibs on him in terms of keeping him on the Practice Squad.  I think people forget that signing to a PS is an option, and that players can decide to sign with another team's PS

14 minutes ago, drd23 said:

The answer to that is @DreamKid

If everyone wants the GDT early I can fire it up, but I typically wait until we're a little bit closer to game day just so the thread's conversation is more centered. It's cool with me if the forum wants to get it going now though. Just let me know folks.

22 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I think people forget that signing to a PS is an option, and that players can decide to sign with another team's PS

My best guess- It's so rare for us to not sign a player we want(Or the fans expected us to sign) to the PS, that they're probably just ignorant to there actually being an alternative. Despite the terminology "Signed to the Practice Squad" being pretty self explanatory. 

Also, I feel like an uncomfortable number of our fans just learned who Chuck Clark was last year and an even larger number probably thinks Morgan Cox is still our LS. This fanbase has it's blind spots 😆.