2021 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

It's dumb for him to make comments that could even slightly be construed as negative. Baltimore is a highly respected club league wide and him saying one of best run organizations "Wasn't the place for him" won't look good to the non existent club that's actually in need of his services. He's way past cooked. 

I think he's saying this wasn't the place for him based on the scheme we run on offense. It's not a WR-friendly place to be. Never has been, but is definitely not under Greg Roman.

I feel like you guys are being a little hard on Dez. Even his 'I realize it wasn't the place for me' was said with all sorts of disclaimers about how he understood why that was and how much respect he has for the org - how we have a certain program/mindset and also how he was behind a lot of guys in terms knowing the playbook, etc. And he responded directly to someone asking him to flame Roman with a pretty diplomatic response.

I feel like he's being honest without being inflammatory and that extra level of transparency/commentary we get from him at least helps me understand a little more about the organization than I otherwise would. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I feel like you guys are being a little hard on Dez. Even his 'I realize it wasn't the place for me' was said with all sorts of disclaimers about how he understood why that was and how much respect he has for the org - how we have a certain program/mindset and also how he was behind a lot of guys in terms knowing the playbook, etc. And he responded directly to someone asking him to flame Roman with a pretty diplomatic response.

I feel like he's being honest without being inflammatory and that extra level of transparency/commentary we get from him at least helps me understand a little more about the organization than I otherwise would. 

As soon as Dez got that 15 yard penalty in the playoffs I knew it was done.

no hard feelings Dez I actually think we could have used him a bit more, but I knew he would never return from Harbaugh’s dog house 

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Probably. I didn’t read the actual comments in this particular scenario (yes, I’m that guy). I just see no reason for him to make such comments until he’s secured his bag and he’s playing for another squad. It’s dumb.

Which is the point, so many of his decisions are thought out on the level of a MS/HS athlete with Twitter fingers and not an NFL athlete that has nearly a decade of professional ball on his resume.

He basically closed the door with Baltimore. They probably weren’t going to bring him back anyway, but in the event that things didn’t work out in the draft and FA completely how we hoped, maybe we might’ve been willing to dip back from the same well.

Now, that door is closed entirely. Though maybe he’s already got something lined up, who knows. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Probably. I didn’t read the actual comments in this particular scenario (yes, I’m that guy). I just see no reason for him to make such comments until he’s secured his bag and he’s playing for another squad. It’s dumb.

Which is the point, so many of his decisions are thought out on the level of a MS/HS athlete with Twitter fingers and not an NFL athlete that has nearly a decade of professional ball on his resume.

He basically closed the door with Baltimore. They probably weren’t going to bring him back anyway, but in the event that things didn’t work out in the draft and FA completely how we hoped, maybe we might’ve been willing to dip back from the same well.

Now, that door is closed entirely. Though maybe he’s already got something lined up, who knows. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

I think you're right that it definitely closed the door on him coming back to Baltimore, but I think that was already set in stone either way and I took his comments moreso to be confirmation of that rather than the thing that actually ended the chance. 

In any case I think the more interesting player comments that didn't get as much attention was this from Willie Snead (and was actually the thread that Dez was replying to I think).

I think we had all sort of assumed he was gone but this to me was confirmation of that and it certainly reads like someone preparing to hit FA and trying to put a little shine on the mediocre stats he's going to have to walk into negotiating rooms with. 

I get what he's saying in general and it's definitely pretty telling that Snead, Dez, and Hollywood have all basically made noise this offseason that point to some discontent with Roman's system... but there's also not a universe or system out there where Willie Snead is a #1 receiver lmao. No hard feelings though, the dude's gotta go chase his bag elsewhere now and he should say or do whatever he needs to in order to get it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

I'm just not a fan.

Yeah I'm not a big Corey Davis guy. I've been on the "don't break the bank for a Robinson/Golladay" train all offseason but if it comes down to Corey Davis for 15-16 or Allen Robinson for 22-23 I'd rather they just sign Robinson...like you're already using a decent amount of cap on a WR just spend a little more for the big upgrade lol.

Potentially may not even have Robinson/Golladay on the market though...apparently Bears/Lions may tag them so 🤷‍♂️ who knows what'll be available come FA

• Like 1

With how often everyone complains about us not acquiring or pursuing certain talents at WR...

I'm beginning to get the feeling you guys don't believe in Miles Boykin taking that big Year 3 leap.

What more does that man have to prove to you??!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Potentially may not even have Robinson/Golladay on the market though...apparently Bears/Lions may tag them so 🤷‍♂️ who knows what'll be available come FA

Yup, and in this scenario Corey Davis becomes the de facto number #1 UFA WR on the market- which means we "Likely Won't Pursue" him either. Our FO isn't going to get into a bidding war over someone like Davis or whoever the top dog is. They'll try to snake a bargain option and if one doesn't manifest, they'll wait till the draft or look at trade options. Our typical strategy.

I guess there's always the 'Ryan Grant' wildcard move out there too. 😬...

• Like 1