Joe Flacco was a much better postseason QB.

RamblinMan99

When John Harbaugh had the nerve to embarrass Joe Flacco by cutting him from the team while being injured, he thought Lamar Jackson was his ticket to multiple Super Bowls. 

Nah, Lamar Jackson was his ticket for multiple playoff appearances.  

He really didn't think about how he'd perform in the postseason.  

When Joe Flacco was in Baltimore for 10 years, he got them to 3 AFC title games and also won the Super Bowl.  With Joe Flacco, it wasn't always about how he performed in the regular season even though the team made 6 playoff appearances in that 10 year span (since his defense bailed him out a lot), but the way they performed in the playoffs had a hell of a lot to do with Joe Flacco.  

Honestly don't think John Harbaugh's ever going to see that with Lamar Jackson.  

We've seen enough at this point.  Jackson's played in three playoff games.  The first one you can kind of omit, because that was his first season in the league, but last year made Jackson look like a joke, and last night's game made him look like a bonafide postseason liability.  

Now, you can clearly make the case that it was time for Baltimore to move on from Flacco when they did, but that's not the point.  

If I was the head coach of an NFL team, and I had a stellar defense that was fully capable of carrying my offense to even just a last seed postseason berth, I'd want a QB like Flacco in his prime.  I wouldn't want somebody like Lamar Jackson, who has clearly proven to us at this point that when it comes to the postseason, his mind clearly isn't in it.  

If you’re in the playoffs, you have a chance. I’m not a bog believer regarding Lamars longevity. But I do think he and that scheme could get them into the playoffs more often than not over the next 4-5 years. No chance I’m giving Lamar a 10 year contract or anything like that...but a high paid 5 year deal seems reasonable. It’s too late to turn back now...they’ve completely designed their team and coaching staff to play to Lamars strengths. And BTW...Flacco wasn’t very good. He had a few nice playoff runs...but sometimes that just comes down to luck and good timing. Not a huge believer in a QB being so ordinary in the regular season then being elite in the playoffs. You can take advantage of a small sample size in playoff runs. 

• Like 1

It's a couple games and he's young.  He was the MVP of the league lol.  You don't get rid of that so easily.

Don't know why I'm even saying this, should be common knowledge.  Look at the one and dones Peyton had, or Montana's bad stretch, or Brees lately, or even Rodgers early in the decade.  

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It's a couple games and he's young.  He was the MVP of the league lol.  You don't get rid of that so easily.

Don't know why I'm even saying this, should be common knowledge.  Look at the one and dones Peyton had, or Montana's bad stretch, or Brees lately, or even Rodgers early in the decade.  

Those guys are all elite throwers of the football. Lamar is below average at best. Their team showed more life when Tyler Huntley stepped in.

Is this for real?

Jackson isn't perfect, but the Ravens need to get him a better offensive line and we core. He has, twice now, taken a similar team to the one Flacco was failing with to the playoffs. His mobility has covered up a lot of holes in their offense. 

Also, what the hell has Flacco done since he left Baltimore? Dude is washed. 

This is like saying Jim Harbaugh was a better postseason QB after Peyton Manning's first three playoff games which were an AFC divisional loss to Tennessee at home, wild card loss on the road to Miami, and a 41-0 shutout wild card loss at against the Jets on the road. But since Jim helped guide the Colts to the AFC title game in 1995, he was the better triggerman. Don't think Colts fans even after that third loss bought that for a second. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

This is like saying Jim Harbaugh was a better postseason QB after Peyton Manning's first three playoff games which were an AFC divisional loss to Tennessee at home, wild card loss on the road to Miami, and a 41-0 shutout wild card loss at against the Jets on the road. But since Jim helped guide the Colts to the AFC title game in 1995, he was the better triggerman. Don't think Colts fans even after that third loss bought that for a second. :)

Ok, both these guys were good at throwing the football. Lamar Jackson isn't.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Is this for real?

Jackson isn't perfect, but the Ravens need to get him a better offensive line and we core. He has, twice now, taken a similar team to the one Flacco was failing with to the playoffs. His mobility has covered up a lot of holes in their offense. 

Baltimore had the best OL last year.

This year he had a top defense.

When he gets paid he will likely have neither.

I don't agree with the premise of the thread, but the conclusion going forward is that Baltimore won't win in the playoffs. Next year is likely their last chance before his extension kicks in but even then, their team outside of Lamar can't really get better. Sure, the OL can be improved, but the defense would likely get worse.

He's a talent, but people need to realize that Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers have each only won the NFC once and haven't played each other in the playoffs - which means every year they're losing to a worse QB, who happens to have a better team.

If you get the QB, pay them for winning seasons/playoff appearances and primetime games - but don't expect the same level of playoff success as in the regular season.

Edited by FrantikRam
  • Like 1

Joe Flacco's first 4 post-season starts:-

• 37/85 - 43.5% CMP
  • 471 Yd's
  • 1TD
  • 4INT's
  • 45.76 Passer Rating
  • Had a 3:1 Record because of his Defence.
  • Won a game where he had 4 completion's on 10 Attempts and threw an INT. 33-14
  • Opponent QB's threw 7 INT's in 4 games | Opponent QB's were sacked 11 Times in 4 Games.

Whilst I do have questions about Lamar's passing consistency, given the start Joe Flacco had in his post season career and what he morphed into from 2012 onwards I don't understand why we're throwing Lamar under the bus.

I think the Patriots success in the 2010's has warped peoples expectations of QB's and how hard it is to win consistently in the playoffs.

Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers are some of the finest QB's of this generation and have been to 3 and 5? Conference Games respectively. Just getting there is hard enough.

Edited by Magnifico
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Is this for real?

I’m sorry...but this rationale is just silly. They have built the team to play to Lamar’s strengths. They have everything they need to win if they are ever going to win with Lamar...Lamar just has to get better in the passing game. But he is 24...he can still improve to some extent.