Why Offensive Line Should Remain the Focus

NJC33

Now that the idea of retaining Sam seems at least formidable, I've seen a lot of people on here advocating for Smith with our top pick. I get it, but the case for building an elite offensive line should remain clear as day.

It's incredibly rare in this league to field a top tier OL and not be at the very least competitive - to take it a step further, aside from quarterback, offensive line play is the single most identifiable indicator of overall success.

Here's a look at the top 10 offensives lines this season, according to PFF:

1. Browns
  2. Packers
  3. Rams
  4. Patriots
  5. Buccaneers
  6. Washington
  7. Colts
  8. Saints
  9. 49ers
  10. Bills

8/10 of these teams are in the playoffs, and that isn't just by chance. Historically, there's a patent correlation between offensive line play and team success - the last three seasons elucidate this trend: 2017 (8/10), 2018 (8/10), 2019 (7/10)… And so, the case for Penei Sewell + Thuney/Scherff.

Before deciding to forgo this season, Sewell was characterized by most 'pundits' as a generational OT. The prospect of pairing him with Mekhi would give us the most tantalizing OT tandem in memory, and potentially serve to equip this team for sustainable success. With the addition of Thuney or Scherff, and thus the foundation of a truly elite OL, we should expect to compete on any given Sunday.

This isn't to say the need for offensive weapons isn't dire - go out and sign one of Arob, Golloday, Goodwin or Davis, draft another guy in rounds 2-4 or with Seattle's pick for that matter. Point being, the ROI stemming from a heavily invested offensive line group is unparalleled. With the resources we have available, and dare I say... competent coaching/management, there's reason to foresee a quick turnaround, and the recipe to do so starts up front.

I think most here agree and have been advocating for an upgrade to the OL for a while. JD knows this and started to address it last year. He is not done. Thuney or Linsley will be looked at and one of them signed, hopefully. Clarke will be evaluated in TC. I can also see a day 3 pick spent on iOL if we sign a starting OG/C or a day 2 pick if we do not. The iOL will be upgraded.

Not sure OT will be upgraded. I read a good post on another forum that explains why Sewell is not a good choice for us at 2. In short, it is because Fant can succeed in an outside zone running scheme and you do not draft a RT at 2. Becton may not be the best choice to slide to RT because the RT needs to move horizontally very well in an outside zone scheme. Becton is awesome going forward but is he athletic enough like Fant to move horizontally?  Plus Fant did OK in pass blocking. His only real issue is health. Then again so is Becton’s. If the FO wants to upgrade RT wait until a little later and get that athletic fluid OT. 

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

I think most here agree and have been advocating for an upgrade to the OL for a while. JD knows this and started to address it last year. He is not done. Thuney or Linsley will be looked at and one of them signed, hopefully. Clarke will be evaluated in TC. I can also see a day 3 pick spent on iOL if we sign a starting OG/C or a day 2 pick if we do not. The iOL will be upgraded.

Not sure OT will be upgraded. I read a good post on another forum that explains why Sewell is not a good choice for us at 2. In short, it is because Fant can succeed in an outside zone running scheme and you do not draft a RT at 2. Becton may not be the best choice to slide to RT because the RT needs to move horizontally very well in an outside zone scheme. Becton is awesome going forward but is he athletic enough like Fant to move horizontally?  Plus Fant did OK in pass blocking. His only real issue is health. Then again so is Becton’s. If the FO wants to upgrade RT wait until a little later and get that athletic fluid OT. 

I think the discrepancy in value between LT/RT has been, and will continue to diminish. No longer do teams alienate their best pass rushers to one side of the field. To be clear, I wouldn't move Becton - Sewell would be drafted as a RT. I remember a similar narrative existing when the Colts drafted Nelson..

I do like Fant, so this isn't to say I'm steadfast on drafting Sewell, though I feel it's the best direction to take at the moment (assuming we keep Sam).

I agree that the stigma of the RT being the guy who could not play LT is not valid anymore. Nor is the stigma of not drafting iOL before day 3. We have more important holes to fill than RT.  And I still do not think drafting a RT at 2, even if we needed one, is the best choice unless they are being drafted to replace the LT in a year or two.

Fans and talking heads are getting enamored with Sewell and are anointing  him as the next Pace. I am certain he will be good but the hype is exceeding reality at this point. If we did not have Becton it would be a no brainer. But we do and we have Fant who should be even better this year.

As for Sam, the best direction for him has already taken place. We have a new coaching staff. If we keep Sam they will put him in a position to succeed if he has that capability. The OL will be upgraded but not at 2. 

Yup. Thuney, or Linsley in FA. Likely Thuney since we know Douglas loves him. Add some depth in the 3rd or in day 3. I agree with you on Fant.

A #1 WR is up there too though. They help a ton. OL as a unit is more valuable. But WR #1 is possibly the second most valuable position behind QB. They make life so much easier for a QB.

Becton-Thuney-McGovern-Elflein-Fant

That's a good start while giving us flexibility in the draft.  Then we see how Clark does if Elf doesn't work out and we can draft a RT and/or iOL Day 3.  It's time to start hitting on those guys.  Not all OLs have to be top picks.  Just work together as a unit, and not be GVR.

7 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Now that the idea of retaining Sam seems at least formidable, I've seen a lot of people on here advocating for Smith with our top pick. I get it, but the case for building an elite offensive line should remain clear as day.

It's incredibly rare in this league to field a top tier OL and not be at the very least competitive - to take it a step further, aside from quarterback, offensive line play is the single most identifiable indicator of overall success.

Here's a look at the top 10 offensives lines this season, according to PFF:

1. Browns
  2. Packers
  3. Rams
  4. Patriots
  5. Buccaneers
  6. Washington
  7. Colts
  8. Saints
  9. 49ers
  10. Bills

Browns- Wills(R1), Bitonio (R2), Tretter, (FA,R4), Teller (R5,trade), Conklin (FA, R1)

Packers- Turner (FA, RD3), Jenkins (R2), Linsley (R5), Patrick (UDFA), Wagner (FA, R5)

Rams- Whitworth (FA, R2), Edwards (R5), Blythe (FA, R7), Corbett (R2), Havenstein (R2)

Pats- Herron (R6), Thuney (R3), Ferentz (FA, UDFA), Mason (R4), Eluemenor (FA, R5)

Buccs- Smith (R2), Marpet (R2), Jensen (FA, R6), Stinnie (FA, UDFA), Whirfs (R1)

WFT- Lucas (FA, UDFA), Schweitzer (FA, R6), Roullier (R6), Scherff (R1), Moses (R3)

Colts- Green (FA, R3), Nelson (R1), Kelly (R1), Glowinski (FA, R4), Smith (R2)

Saints- Armstead (R3), Peat (R1), McCoy (R2), Ruiz (R1), Rammer (R1)

49ers- Williams (trade, R1), Tomlinson (R1), Brunskill (FA, UDFA), Skule (R6), McGlinchey (R1)

Bills- Dawkins (R2), Boettget (UDFA), Morse, (FA, R2), Winters (FA, R3), Williams (FA, R4)

So here is a breakdown of current depth charts.  Would you guys say it's more talent, more OL coach or more scheme?  Some teams have a bunch of random mid round picks.

We have a weapon at LT who needs to be unleashed. 

Keep adding onto the line and it can be a great unit. I want to see this team actually be able to run the football,  Darnold never had a run game. 

I'm not drafting a ot 2nd overall though.  Rather trade down get picks and add to the team.

Edited by NYJets4716

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If we can somehow get Thuney or Scherff... I think we’re in great shape. Resign Elf (shouldn’t cost too much) and I think we are set. Draft a RT in the mid rounds to take over for Fant.

I think signing a top guard in free agency is a given really....certainly should be!! Would we not try developing Edoga more than use another pick on a developmental olineman? 

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

I think signing a top guard in free agency is a given really....certainly should be!! Would we not try developing Edoga more than use another pick on a developmental olineman? 

Both teams can resign them is the thing. Both NE and WAS have money