Dallas Cowboys TCMD Thread

D82

1 hour ago, JWingate said:

Someone gave us a B- for getting Surtain. People just grade to grade I guess 😂😂😂 obvious need and BPA. He also is the best player at the position to fit our scheme. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That grade seemed low to me as well.  Need vs value was spot on.  Was going to draft him myself at 11.

We just drafted with the 75th overall pick:

Elijah Molden, CB, Washington

I think he is the best nickle corner in the draft and filled a huge need.

Our current draft:
1. Patrick Surtain III, CB, Alabama
2. Richie Grant, S, UCF
3. Elijah Molden, CB, Washington

On 2/27/2021 at 12:28 PM, JWingate said:

Someone gave us a B- for getting Surtain. People just grade to grade I guess 😂😂😂 obvious need and BPA. He also is the best player at the position to fit our scheme. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’d give you a B. Maybe a B+. I don’t hate the pick, but I definitely don’t agree that he was a clear BPA given who else was on the board. 

At the very least, it’s not laughable that someone might think the pick could have been used better elsewhere.

On a separate/related note, if this mock draft even remotely mimics the reality of the CB draft, with the names at #44 (Campbell, Samuel, Stokes, Newsome) and #75 (Molden, Joseph, Melifonwu, Robinson), I am totally fine waiting on the position.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’d give you a B. Maybe a B+. I don’t hate the pick, but I definitely don’t agree that he was a clear BPA given who else was on the board. 

At the very least, it’s not laughable that someone might think the pick could have been used better elsewhere.

On a separate/related note, if this mock draft even remotely mimics the reality of the CB draft, with the names at #44 (Campbell, Samuel, Stokes, Newsome) and #75 (Molden, Joseph, Melifonwu, Robinson), I am totally fine waiting on the position.

Given what we had at the position and and not knowing what would be available at pick 44 we had to make Surtain. Also who do you think is better than Surtain at that pick? Slater?

19 minutes ago, JWingate said:

Given what we had at the position and and not knowing what would be available at pick 44 we had to make Surtain.

The thing about #44 and #75 was separate. Just an interesting point to consider as we talk about the draft over the next months. I said I don’t hate the pick.

20 minutes ago, JWingate said:

Also who do you think is better than Surtain at that pick? Slater?

In my opinion, Farley and Waddle are better prospects. Slater,  I probably view as the Surtain equivalent at OT. And I know I’m currently in the minority on this, but I also think JOK is going to be a big time playmaker.

If I were making the pick, I’d have taken Farley. Between Waddle, Slater, Surtain, and JOK, I’m mostly indifferent. Give me any of the 3, and I’d be happy.

I just think this is a reasonable difference of opinion. I can see why you like the pick. I can also see why someone might not view it as a clear home run.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The thing about #44 and #75 was separate. Just an interesting point to consider as we talk about the draft over the next months. I said I don’t hate the pick.

In my opinion, Farley and Waddle are better prospects. Slater,  I probably view as the Surtain equivalent at OT. And I know I’m currently in the minority on this, but I also think JOK is going to be a big time playmaker.

If I were making the pick, I’d have taken Farley. Between Waddle, Slater, Surtain, and JOK, I’m mostly indifferent. Give me any of the 3, and I’d be happy.

I just think this is a reasonable difference of opinion. I can see why you like the pick. I can also see why someone might not view it as a clear home run.

I think it’s a philosophical difference. I don’t think Farley will be a large contributor year 1 in a heavy zone schemed defense. You want him playing man either off ball or bump and run. Surtain can come in year 1 and be the #1 corner for Dallas he has flex to play man and zone at a high level. 

Farley has a higher ceiling, but Surtain’s floor is just so high right now.

Drafting Waddle made no sense since we have Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, OBJ on the roster. 

the decision came down to JOK and Surtain and looked at the roster and we had Brown and Diggs at CB and some bodies. Surtain was the pick for that reason.

2 hours ago, JWingate said:

I think it’s a philosophical difference. I don’t think Farley will be a large contributor year 1 in a heavy zone schemed defense. You want him playing man either off ball or bump and run. Surtain can come in year 1 and be the #1 corner for Dallas he has flex to play man and zone at a high level. 

Farley has a higher ceiling, but Surtain’s floor is just so high right now.

Drafting Waddle made no sense since we have Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, OBJ on the roster. 

the decision came down to JOK and Surtain and looked at the roster and we had Brown and Diggs at CB and some bodies. Surtain was the pick for that reason.

Didn’t see that we had OBJ, haha. And I obviously agree that Farley is an upside pick.

But anyway, I understand your reasoning, and I wouldn’t be upset if the Cowboys did that, too. I just saw you laughing at someone for giving the pick a B-. That grade doesn’t seem totally unreasonable to me, is all I’m saying. Surtain in that spot is not a clear, no-debate-necessary selection.