Journey to Ring 3: Club Evaluation & Building Another Champion

DreamKid

Really hoping Calais doesn't call it a career. I think he was an invaluable addition this year that brought layered impact. Especially with significant potential turnover amongst our defensive coaching staff this offseason, a presence like Campbell's is keystone. 

I believe we can eliminate 10 Million in dead cap in 2021 if we're able to prove Earl Thomas was a sufficient enough head case to the point where he had to be released no matter what. Situations like this really help that cause...about as much as they hurt his family. Great work Earl you POS 👍-

Position groups in need of upgrade:

1. IOL
2. WR
3. S

FAs need to resign:

1. Some OLBs (Bowser, McPhee, Ward should be cheap resigns - Yannick and Judon might be too expensive)
2. Derrick Wolf

Coaching moves:

1. Improve passing scheme (not sure how this is done without firing Roman - I don't think he would accept demotion to run game coordinator)

Notes on other position groups:

1. QB - good
2. RB - good (cut Ingram)
3. TE - good assuming Boyle can come back health. Draft for depth
4. OT - need a swing tackle. Is Andre Smith coming back?
5. DL - good 
6. ILB - good. I think Queen and Harrison will be fine players with more experience and full offseason
7. CB - good

• Like 1

Underrated bright spot from a franchise perspective is Devin Duvernay emerging as an impact return option at KR & PR. Short of us drafting someone like Jaylen Waddle, I think Devin has the role(s) locked down and bears Pro Bowl/All Pro upside there.

We really haven't had anyone at the position make a splash since Jacoby Jones left and Cyrus Jones flashed enough at PR in 2018 to secure a 53 spot and help push Darious Williams off the roster 😐.

I feel he has a strong future for us on offense too. At least as an explosive 4th/5th option within the system, similar in another way to Jacoby Jones who occupied a role like that behind Anquan, Torrey, Pitta, and Rice. Of course getting different minds in on offense and possibly a better WR coach is likely a pre requisite to this happening.

58 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I believe we can eliminate 10 Million in dead cap in 2021 if we're able to prove Earl Thomas was a sufficient enough head case to the point where he had to be released no matter what. Situations like this really help that cause...about as much as they hurt his family. Great work Earl you POS 👍-

Yup, looks like he's doing all the work for us on this front. What a piece of human garbage. The man needs to seek help. 

• Like 1

First and foremost. Roman has to go. Unless we hire someone to completely re-design the passing game in tandem with Roman. This just isn't working. 

We also need to find Lamar some more offensive weapons and some interior O-line. 

Our pass rush has also been piss poor. 

- Re-sign Yannick

- Trade or wait for Jason Kelce to be released. (Eagle's are in cap hell) If you draft a center, he can help groom him, or a current player currently on the roster. Bolsters the middle immediately. 

- Sign Corey Davis in Free Agency. He can block and he's a big target for Lamar. We have a big target in Boykin but I think Corey brings an immediate impact without breaking the bank. 

- I'd bring Dez back on a cap Friendly deal and see how he progresses with a complete off-season with us. 

As far as the draft goes. I'd like to target a Dynamic Safety if one falls to us. IOL, WR and a TE to pair with Boyle and Andrews. (This could potentially be addressed in FA). We absolutely need an edge rusher in the worst way. 

This is all I can think of right now.. 

• Like 1

I know this is way out of the box and won't happen but we should see the interest in a team wanting to trade for Harbaugh. He's well respected around the league. 

Replacement? Bieniemy. Word is he may not get a head coaching gig. He would completely overhaul our offense and bring in new energy. 

Will this happen? No. I'm a Harbaugh guy and I believe in him but I'm not sure how much longer I can watch this guy be loyal to a fault and firing guys 2 years too late. 

3 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Position groups in need of upgrade:

1. IOL
2. WR
3. S

FAs need to resign:

1. Some OLBs (Bowser, McPhee, Ward should be cheap resigns - Yannick and Judon might be too expensive)
2. Derrick Wolf

Coaching moves:

1. Improve passing scheme (not sure how this is done without firing Roman - I don't think he would accept demotion to run game coordinator)

Notes on other position groups:

1. QB - good
2. RB - good (cut Ingram)
3. TE - good assuming Boyle can come back health. Draft for depth
4. OT - need a swing tackle. Is Andre Smith coming back?
5. DL - good 
6. ILB - good. I think Queen and Harrison will be fine players with more experience and full offseason
7. CB - good

I most agree with this viewpoint. Except I’m all in on firing Roman... assuming he doesn’t go for the demotion.

Obviously since we have an early period to resign our FAs first I would look to sign Wolfe and Ngakoue back to friendly deals. Wolfe somewhere in that $6-7.5m range would be great.

I think Ngakoue will be a mutual parting- if only because he’ll want a bigger role elsewhere and more money than we’d be willing to offer, he feels like he’ll be a Patriots or Jets player... should net us a 3rd/4th round comp pick. Judon I would let walk. He’s a good player, but worth more to the market than to our team IMO, unless he’s willing to return for $10-11m. Someone mentioned the Raiders, that certainly seems like it would fit him, he’s either another 3rd round comp pick.. or if we can resign a WR... then he won’t be.

Assuming we can’t resign either Ngakoue/Judon then I would give McPhee a quality $4m type deal that is incentive base; $2m guaranteed and another $2m in incentives. I’d look to resign Bowser for a one year prove it deal worth around $4m, which should be rough market value. Resign Jihad Ward for about $2m as well.

I’d target either Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin... but Godwin only if he’s willing to take a Cooper Kupp type deal in that $16m range. Robinson I would be willing to give roughly $17-18m. If we strike out on both players, address the position in the draft.

In addition to this I’m all in on taking out a flyer on Malik Hooker. He’s coming back from a torn Achilles, so he should come cheap. I’d give him a two year deal with incentives included. I’d rather we not go into the draft without having a fallback option available, in case things fall better with other positions.
———

Ideally we’re able to obtain a veteran WR above and in that scenario, I’m especially looking at Alex Leatherwood, he could instantly slide into OG and be an elite fixture.

If we don’t grab a WR then it becomes a bit more muddied. Chris Olave, Pat Freiermuth, and a Wyatt Davis could all be in the conversation at pick 27/28. If Leatherwood is available, I’d still choose him, particularly under a new OC, I trust Lamar to make things happen with elite OL play. Same as how both Baker and Allen have looked far better this season with great OL play. I think Drake Jackson should be a staple Ravens selection on day 3 of the draft to upgrade/compete for the center spot as well. I’d rather have too much talent along our OL than too little. Whoever falls off, falls off... even if it’s Tyre Phillips who we just spent a 3rd round pick on this past draft.

In the event that we don’t go WR in round 1 and don’t address WR in free agency, than getting Tylan Wallace in the 2nd round would be my fallback and an imperative.

Hopefully Ardarius Washington’s size gets slept on and in addition to bringing in Hooker, we could get Washington on day 3 of the draft... or if we get some additional draft compensation from a trade down, perhaps with a team needing a QB that wants to get a 5th year option, we could use that draft capitol to ensure we select Washington. Let him compete with Hooker and Elliot for the starting FS role.

3 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

- Sign Corey Davis in Free Agency. He can block and he's a big target for Lamar. We have a big target in Boykin but I think Corey brings an immediate impact without breaking the bank. 

Corey Davis is a name I've been targeting for months, but TBH he should be plan B, IMO. Let's go for the big fish in Allen Robinson.

Every single team in the NFL but us can find and develop stud WRs with mid round draft picks. It's just us (and the Eagles and the Patriots) who can't. We can solve all our other problems (like O-line) with draft picks. But we just can't, go through another draft with "wE hAvE ReCeIvErS wE lIKe In EvErY rOuNd" and walk away with a special teams/niche player. The big takeway I have 24 hours postmortem on the season, is that the best WR on the market has more value to us than any other team in the league. Go ahead and take Orlando Brown or Stanley or whatever else (besides Lamar) that we could spend money on, it won't add as much value to this team as finally getting us that real go-to #1 receiver.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1