Journey to Ring 3: Club Evaluation & Building Another Champion

DreamKid

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yea this is where the strategy really comes in for FOs during the draft. I remember Dan, our long lost OL & Safety fanatic, was in love with OBJ as a prospect and wanted him even over a theoretically surprise faller in Derwin James. And I would go back and forth with him about the subject because even if you do believe in a prospects ultimate talent, if the rest of the league isn't going to pick said player through the first 80 picks- it's exceedingly poor strategy to not 'play the game' and just draft them at the first chance you have.

Then you also have scenarios where guys just last to picks you could've never guessed. I mean just last year I'd say Dobbins, Madubuike, and Harrison are three players I don't think FO saw being available close to where they were and they've hinted at such. 

All of these angles make the draft so exciting.

Exactly. It’s a Game Of Thrones.

Trying to be Ned Stark on draft day just earns you a face plant to the ground.

As long as you win more than you lose in predicting where players will go then that’s all you can ask for.

• Like 1

with Zietler signed I don’t see us signing anymore offensive line free agents unless it’s like a Rick Wagner for dirt cheap which I’d like.

otherwise let’s get Wolfe back in the building and maybe another body at edge.

with those two the only Wide Receivers I could see us going for that we could afford would be Emmanuel Sanders or AJ Green. As the money stands right now I’d take AJ as a direct 1 to 1 upgrade over Boykin then hit the draft and see what happens. In that case I’d be happy with whoever we draft in the first although trading back and getting our hands on the best centre in the draft would be the holy grail for me. 

this is all provided we DON’T free up more cap which we very well may still be looking to do.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

On 3/13/2021 at 5:18 PM, DreamKid said:

Yea this is where the strategy really comes in for FOs during the draft. I remember Dan, our long lost OL & Safety fanatic, was in love with OBJ as a prospect and wanted him even over a theoretically surprise faller in Derwin James. And I would go back and forth with him about the subject because even if you do believe in a prospects ultimate talent, if the rest of the league isn't going to pick said player through the first 80 picks- it's exceedingly poor strategy to not 'play the game' and just draft them at the first chance you have.

Then you also have scenarios where guys just last to picks you could've never guessed. I mean just last year I'd say Dobbins, Madubuike, and Harrison are three players I don't think FO saw being available close to where they were and they've hinted at such. 

All of these angles make the draft so exciting.

What happened to Dan?

I feel like he just disappeared mid-season

18 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

My spidey sense is telling me we're going to sign Corey Davis today. 

Davis would mean id handicap us going EDGE round 1 at like 70+%

BUT...what if we signed Davis and drafted Bateman round 1...😯

Thatll do donkey

48 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

What happened to Dan?

I feel like he just disappeared mid-season

Speculation, but probably me. I can be difficult to deal with (as I’m sure you know 😅). We had an exchange about my posting style and that was that.

Which is unfortunate because I enjoy his DB and OL prospect evaluations, even if I don’t always agree with them, he generally turns me onto some strong prospects annually that I had not been aware of.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Speculation, but probably me. I can be difficult to deal with (as I’m sure you know 😅). We had an exchange about my posting style and that was that.

Which is unfortunate because I enjoy his DB and OL prospect evaluations, even if I don’t always agree with them, he generally turns me onto some strong prospects annually that I had not been aware of.

Dang that's crazy. Disagreeing with each other is part of the appeal of this place...hearing and weighing opinions that aren't your own. I hope that's not the case, but if so his opinions will be missed

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Dang that's crazy. Disagreeing with each other is part of the appeal of this place...hearing and weighing opinions that aren't your own. I hope that's not the case, but if so his opinions will be missed

Exactly. That’s exactly why I like it. Having my opinions challenged thoroughly and doing the same for others. You can’t get that in the modern PC world.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I thought these were some relevant tweets from DJ as we begin to take a close look at EDGE.

I am in complete agreement with DJ on this one! I much rather a defensive front that will collapse the pocket then a bunch of edge rushers who rarely get home. This is why I am not a huge advocate on spending a first on guys like Ossai and Oweh in the draft. Fast and athletic profiles off the edge sometimes work out in the NFL but more often then not they get swallowed up by the bigger and athletic tackles in the NFL. I much rather have an edge player who packs more of a punch!

Edited by Letsch80

2 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Fast and athletic profiles off the edge sometimes work out in the NFL but more often then not they get swallowed up by the bigger and athletic tackles in the NFL. I much rather have an edge player who packs more of a punch!

Well you'd still want an athletic player, just one who has a strong power game with the ability to collapse the pocket and condense the rush arc. 

A non athletic power rusher would be someone like Jaylon Ferguson. An athletic power rusher would be someone like Khalil Mack.