Journey to Ring 3: Club Evaluation & Building Another Champion

DreamKid

Our interior DL was great at stopping the run but with all the pieces we had, they really underperformed when it came to rushing the passer and creating pressure from the inside. 

I really hope Mads and Travis Jones take that next step next year as pass rushers. We saw glimpses of Jones dominating early on but he kind of fizzled out as the season went on.

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Our interior DL was great at stopping the run but with all the pieces we had, they really underperformed when it came to rushing the passer and creating pressure from the inside. 

No they didn't, all of them had strong years. This is just what good/great, but not elite, pass rush productivity looks like in our two-gap system. Look at the names next to our guys just in a pure pass rush evaluation, Campbell-Grady Jarrett, Washington-Vita Vea, Madubuike-Ed Oliver. The defense is built to force the ball out quick and as such it's going to be hard for players to put up crazy numbers, but the efficency and wins are all there.

FmHYes7X0AEsxNW?format=jpg&name=4096x409

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I really hope Mads and Travis Jones take that next step next year as pass rushers. We saw glimpses of Jones dominating early on but he kind of fizzled out as the season went on.

....This was Week 18 vs the Bengals-

With Broderick Washington's ascension and MacDonald starting to run more racecar(using EDGE players as inside rushers) towards the end of the season there just weren't as many opportunities. Jones still flashed that game wrecking ability on the opportunities he did get though. Alex Cappa is a Top 15 Guard getting wrecked instantly.

The only game the DL was noticeably pushed around was the Steelers game in Baltimore week 17.

It also happens that Campbell missed that game, so it has to be at least a slight concern that without Campbell next year (if that were to be the case) we may see some performances like that again.

Im not expecting that to be the case with Travis in year 2 and Pierce back in the fold and buike and washington still here, but it was certainly a concerning game with most of our hopeful impact guys out there all night like Travis/Buike/Washington

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

The amount of proven and potential young blue chip talent on this roster is strong right now, and I wonder where it ranks all time for the club?:

QB: Lamar Jackson

HB: JK Dobbins

WR: Rashod Bateman, Zay Flowers

TE: Mark Andrews, Isaiah Likely

Center: Tyler Linderbaum

DI: Justin Madubuike, Travis Jones

EDGE: Odafe Oweh, David Ojabo

LB: Roquan Smith, Patrick Queen

CB: Marlon Humphrey

SCB/S: Kyle Hamilton

S: Marcus Williams

KR/PR: Devin Duvernay

The oldest players on that list are Marlon Humphrey and Mark Andrews at 27 Y/O, majority are 25 & Under.

HM: DI Broderick Washington & S Geno Stone- Both turned in plus 25 & Under seasons, but might not have the ceiling or positional Top 5-10 potential the other names do.

Our Championship Season Rosters for comparisons-

(2000) https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2000_roster.htm 

(2012) https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2012_roster.htm

We've always had quite a bit of a star power young & old on defense, but it's nice to see that injection of impact youth on offense as well.

From an overall comparison standpoint I like the direct look at our 2012 build vs the present day lineup(23'):

2012                                                        2023

QB:        Joe Flacco                                    Lamar Jackson

QB:       Tyrod Taylor                                 Tylan Wallace

HB:        Ray Rice                                       JK Dobbins

HB:      Bernard Pierce                             Gus Edwards

HB:       Anthony Allen                              Justice Hill

FB:        Vonta Leach                                 Patrick Ricard

TE:       Dennis Pitta                                 Mark Andrews

TE:        Ed Dickson                                   Isaiah Likely

TE:        Billy Bajema                                 Charlie Kolar

WR:     Anquan Boldin                              Odell Beckham Jr.

WR:     Torrey Smith                                 Rashod Bateman

WR:    Jacoby Jones                               Zay Flowers

WR:   Tandon Doss                                 Devin Duvernay

WR:    David Reed                                   Nelson Agholar

WR:    LaQuan Williams                          Tylan Wallace

LT:       Bryant McKinnie                           Ronnie Stanley 

LG:     Kelechi Osemele                           Ben Cleveland

OC:    Matt Birk                                       Tyler Linderbaum

RG:    Marsal Yanda                                Kevin Zeitler

RT:     Michael Oher                                Morgan Moses

DI:      Haloti Ngata                                Justin Madubuike 

DI:      Ma'ake Kemoeatu                       Michael Pierce

DI:      Arthur Jones                               Broderick Washington

DI:      DeAngelo Tyson                         Travis Jones

ED:     Terrell Suggs                               Odafe Oweh

ED:      Courtney Upshaw                      Tyus Bowser

ED:     Paul Kruger                                 David Ojabo

EI:      Pernell McPhee                           Tavius Robinson

EL:     Albert McClellan                         Malik Harrison

LB:     Ray Lewis                                    Roquan Smith

LB:     Dannell Ellerbe                            Patrick Queen

LB:     Jameel McClain                          Josh Ross

LB:     Josh Bynes                                 Trenton Simpson

LB:     Brendan Ayanbadejo                  Kristian Welch

CB:    Jimmy Smith                               Marlon Humphrey

CB:    Lardarius Webb                           Rock Ya-Sin

CB:    Cary Williams                              Brandon Stephens

CB:    Corey Graham                             Pepe Williams

CB:    Chykie Brown                             Jalyn Armour-Davis

CB:    Chris Johnson                             Kyu Blu Kelly

FS:    Ed Reed                                       Marcus Williams

SS:    Bernard Pollard                            Kyle Hamilton

S3:   James Ihedigbo                             Geno Stone

K:     Justin Tucker                                Justin Tucker

P:     Sam Koch                                      Jordan Stout

RS:   Jacoby Jones                                Devin Duvernay

LS:   Morgan Cox                                  Nick Moore

That 2012 squad was actually quite lacking in terms of depth and impact youth. Which makes that team even more notable when you consider all the titans we slayed during our run to the SB. 

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

That 2012 squad was actually quite lacking in terms of depth and impact youth. Which makes that team even more notable when you consider all the titans we slayed during our run to the SB. 

Now we just need Lamar and two WRs to play possessed in the playoffs and we'll win our 3rd ring.

It's our year.

Edited by M.10.E

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After giving it some thought. I think if we can grab an elite guard that might be the best way to improve this squad. It shouldn’t matter whether an undersized front like KC is blitzing or not to fill gaps. We should be able to dominate at the POA regularly.

Pressure along the edges isn’t ideal and can lead to strip sacks, but Stanley’s contract isn’t conducive to cut until after 6/1 and so it would just make sense to give Stanley one more season.

Beyond grabbing an elite IOL, a deep threat WR with length and size would be ideal, someone with a large catch radius and does well in scramble drills with uncovering and getting open.

Then to round out the top 3 I think CB is a position that could use talent. We did a good job with our pass rush most all season and that likely hid our corners some from being exposed.

Pass rush will certainly be a need as well and possible also the DL, however we’ve historically done a great job with adding quality veterans to our front that I feel confident we can grab more than serviceable talents. Retaining KVN likely wouldn’t cost so much and it’ll be interesting to see what Clowney is worth after this past season. If we let go of Mads because of high contract demands, then retaining both Clowney and KVN would be a great idea worth considering.

Lastly RB is a definitely need as well. With this weak RB class we can probably get RB1 with our pick in the 2nd round atm.

An elite IOL with a great RB and add in Lamar passing off some PA to Likely, Andrews, Bateman, and Flowers… that would be fantastic.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Also I’d be ecstatic if the Ravens consider adding Bill Belichick to our staff as a defensive consultant for this season.

Random, but as he didn’t get hired, that could be an interesting hire.

Hehe. After MacDonald left I secretly thought about BB as DC, before realizing the the defensive coaching staff is staff is stacked deep with talent.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Hehe. After MacDonald left I secretly thought about BB as DC, before realizing the the defensive coaching staff is staff is stacked deep with talent.

I figured he’d probably be against the idea of not being “the man” but from the sense of helping with putting together game plans… similar to Fangio, I figured that our defense balling out might reinvigorate his HC candidacy for next season. Also let people realize that he’s willing and able to “work with others.”

Dream offseason is to get Derrick Henry in FA, Zeitler and Moses return, one of Clowney/KVN returns, Bowser and Ojabo come out of the cave they've been living in, and we cut Marcus Williams to free up cap space.

Speaking of Tyus Bowser...Still literally no word on wtf is going on there.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Dream offseason is to get Derrick Henry in FA, Zeitler and Moses return, one of Clowney/KVN returns, Bowser and Ojabo come out of the cave they've been living in, and we cut Marcus Williams to free up cap space.

Speaking of Tyus Bowser...Still literally no word on wtf is going on there.

Reading between the lines it sounds like Bowser is done and is going to get an injury settlement. They didn’t say that but reading the body language and the use of past tense verbiage, it felt like Bowser’s injury was far more serious than anticipated.

Beyond that I agree with most of what you listed outside of perhaps bringing back Kevin Zeitler. He’s going to be 34 years old and his play started to decline this season IMO. I’m not sure what he will have left in the tank and I think younger guys could offer more production out of the spot.

Now from a depth standpoint, I would be down, but I think an elite IOL option in the draft, along with Cleveland, Sala, and Vorhees all competing for the starting guard spots would be where I’d like to go into next season.

So that even if we don’t have elite OT play, our IOL can dominate upfront.

• Like 1