The Carson Wentz Thread | Welcome to Wentzylvania [Race to MVP]

Phire

What are your expectations for Wentz in his second year? I think the stage is really set for him to have a monster year.

carz.0.gif

I could watch this all day.

Last year:

• Lane Johnson was suspended for much of the year.
  • Kelce played like garbage.
  • Rotations at both guard positions and right tackle.
  • Brandon Brooks missing multiple games due to anxiety.
  • Nelson Agholor missing games due to lack of confidence.
  • Nelson Agholor played the most snaps out of our WRs.
  • Dorial. Green. Beckham.
  • Entire WR corps was literally a corpse.
  • Doug's first year.
  • Carson's first year.

This year:

• No OL suspensions or injuries, yet (knock on wood).
  • Hopefully Kelce improves.
  • Nelson Agholor won't be a focus of our offense.
  • Alshon freakin' Jeffery.
  • Torrey Smith is more exciting than Bryce Treggs. Or Agholor.
  • Philly Blount.
  • Doug's second year.
  • Carson's second year.
  • Very little turnover from last year to this year (continuity in general).

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

He could play to a Pro Bowl level. Do I think he will? No, I expect him to play possibly like a fringe top 10 guy this season.

I'd be happy with fringe top 10.

Brady
Rodgers
Ryan
Roethlisberger
Luck
Brees
Wilson
Newton
Rivers
Stafford
Carr

Would put Wentz just outside of these guys (I listed 11). QB talent seems to really fall off after this.

This offseason, however, Wentz has increasingly embraced that mantle, according to many of his coaches and teammates. The changes have been subtle. It is not in Wentz’s nature to take what has not yet been earned.

But whether it has been breaking down team huddles, or vocalizing his offensive preferences or openly displaying more of his personality, Wentz has naturally become more of a leader. And the NovaCare Complex, at least as it relates to the team, has gradually become his building and has adopted his persona.

“He’s the guy. That’s the way everybody in this building sees him,” tackle Lane Johnson said. “He’s the franchise.”

Not that Wentz would ever say that.

“That’s not his personality and I don’t think that you want a quarterback saying that,” Kelce said last month. “But I would say that clearly there is only one person on the field that has as big of an impact to affect games.

“The quarterback position is so important in the NFL, so when you get a good one and you get a young one, everything in my mind, especially offensively, is built around that person.”

The Eagles have been judicious in pushing Wentz to the fore in public. They believe they have a thoroughbred, although even a promising first season was hardly enough proof. Coach Doug Pederson had said earlier in the offseason that he wanted Wentz to return in April and accept more of a leadership role.

How good can he be? I don't really know. Last year his biggest issue was probably scoring TDs. His ints could go down a bit but 14 for a full season isn't exactly crazy bad or anything but could always throw a few less.

If he can utilize his new receiving resources and put points on the board I think he can be just fine this year. Still doubt a lot happens unless the pass rush or coverage has a crazy good year but if we can see him making strides towards being a better player overall i think the season would be a success for him. 

56 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

How good can he be? I don't really know. Last year his biggest issue was probably scoring TDs. His ints could go down a bit but 14 for a full season isn't exactly crazy bad or anything but could always throw a few less.

If he can utilize his new receiving resources and put points on the board I think he can be just fine this year. Still doubt a lot happens unless the pass rush or coverage has a crazy good year but if we can see him making strides towards being a better player overall i think the season would be a success for him. 

Agreed. He COULD be really good if the flashes he showed consistent, but I doubt that is the case. My guess would be he will be in the Dalton range this year, shouldn't lose us many games, but probably won't win us many games. I just want to see him be solid, show he has improved in some of his mechanics, and try to limit his mistakes.

The good news is that our WRs should be actually able to help him which will be really important. Another thing I think is really important is play calling,  really want to see Doug open up the playbook a bit more and let Wentz sling it around.

16 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The good news is that our WRs should be actually able to help him which will be really important. Another thing I think is really important is play calling,  really want to see Doug open up the playbook a bit more and let Wentz sling it around.

I think these things are key. He was throwing to garbage last year. Now he has Alshon Jeffery who might be the most ideal WR we've had in philly since... T.O.? Assuming he's healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Wentz lingered for pictures and conversation before heading toward a throng of fans hanging over the wall a stone's throw away. Before he could get two feet, he heard "Wentz, can you sign my leg?" Wentz turned and saw a war veteran who had lifted up his pant leg to reveal a prosthetic limb.

"Sure," Wentz obliged, bending down to put ink to metal.

"God bless you," the veteran replied.

Once he finally reached the crowd, they were at a fever pitch.

"Oh my God!"

"Carson!"

"You are the man! Thank you, sir."

Wentz inched along the wall signing everything from helmets to wallets to cellphone cases. He came across a boy wearing a North Dakota State shirt. After hearing he was from his home state, the quarterback took the protective sleeve off his throwing arm and handed it to the overjoyed boy. A moment later, one ball awaiting an autograph was accidentally dropped from the stands and fell into a nearby stairwell. Wentz hustled down to retrieve it, earning additional points from the group. While signing several items for one woman, she politely asked if he could autograph more.

Wentz pointed to the sea of people lined up the entire length of the field and respectfully replied: "I've got lots of fans to see."

The player-fan interaction in this setting always breeds excitement, but this was at a different level. Wentz has real star power in this town, and it's growing.

One thing for sure: Carson's got franchise-QB character.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I personally don't care for the whole goody two shoes thing. 

Yeah, his Tebowesque shtick is a little corny and annoying; he's also probably a bigger self-promoter which makes it worse, but he seems to have his head screwed on properly when it comes to football and making that the priority.  And I think he's just genuinely a cheeseball, so it is hard to hate on his off the field antics too much.

Archived