The Carson Wentz Thread | Welcome to Wentzylvania [Race to MVP]

Phire

I dislike when people talk "elite". It's too arbitrary. What's the definition of "elite"? Are you top 3-5 in your craft? Maybe just top 5 at the moment. The TE crop is pretty underwhelming lately outside of 4-5 guys. Ertz is probably top 3-4. Is he elite? I don't think so. Or does elite mean that you're maybe in the top 5-10% of all time? I think elite has more to do with your skill set and effectiveness than it has to do with your position in a very arbitrary list at any given moment. If you gave me an exact definition of elite than we can set the discussion. 

People (Giants' fans) call Eli ELIte. In what way is he elite? He's never cracked top 5 ever for me any given year. Maybe top 8. 

I seen McCoy on that list frome someone. He's not elite anymore. And then there's splash in the pan guys. I think you have to earn the title of elite. You have to do it for more than a year or two. I'd take every 2 year player off the list. And maybe even 3 year players. Patrick Robinson was playing out of his mind for like 12 weeks this year. Is he elite? I dunno. I know I'm definitely a tougher grade than most. 

• 3 months later...

"It definitely went in one ear and out the other early on," former Eagles offensive coordinator and new Colts coach Frank Reich said recently about what he told Wentz during the QB's rookie season in 2016, regarding instructing him to be more cautious when running. "It didn't go exactly like this, but this is just made up to protect the innocent or protect the guilty, however you say it. We would say to him, 'Hey, you just need to kind of back off on some of this tackling stuff.' "And he didn't quite say it like this, but it was essentially, 'No. I'm not backing off. This is me. This is how I play.'"

Don't think Reich meant to criticize or anything, and this isn't anything we didn't already know, but in case anyone wanted to see the source because I'm sure someone's gonna try to spin it as Reich criticizing Wentz.

Yeah @Phire that’s a very fine line to tip-toe in this case. On one hand, Carson’s escapaibility and athleticism make up a big part of the player he is. On the other hand, the aforementioned fact has already proved to be his seasonal downfall.

I also do not think Reich was criticizing there either, but the point of the story he was telling is important. I don’t see Carson as a guy who will disobey orders consistently and/or intentionally, but maybe he sees this specific tool from his arsenal as one he has the best opinion of. 

I would want him to avoid hits where possible too, but that play style is a big part of who he is as an NFL QB. With one ring notched on the organization’s belt, why not just have him play the same way and see what becomes of it. The old saying of “rather you make a mistake at full speed instead of half speed” would come into play here. 

And yes @nlesthought, keeping Nick was crucial if we expect Carson to be the old Carson moving forward. Here’s to a long, successful career for 11!

12 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I'll just say its a good thing we have Nicky Nine as the backup...

Makes sense why Howie made sure to have a decent backup even if we had to overpay. Always go the full nine yards.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived