The Carson Wentz Thread | Welcome to Wentzylvania [Race to MVP]

Phire

• 2 months later...

Wentz was outstanding at situational football. Two of his touchdowns came in the red zone. One was a touch throw to Trey Burton on a fade route. You have to love the fact Wentz saw the pre-snap matchup and realized his number three tight end should be the primary target on that play. You see some young quarterbacks really force the ball to star players, especially in the red zone. Wentz got the ball to the right guy, putting it where only Burton could make a play. You must score touchdowns when you get into the red zone.

Wentz was unbelievable on third down. He was 11-of-12 for 225 yards and three touchdowns. Those numbers are crazy good. Wentz threw short and deep, right and left. He threw to a variety of receivers. There was a third-and-1 play late in the first half where Wentz hit backup receiver Marcus Johnson for a gain of 6 yards and a first down. Wentz had a lot of confidence in himself and his teammates. He was going to find the open man, not force it to the biggest name.

2 hours ago, Hammertime52 said:

Carson is the GOAT, Cleveland is so stupid (nothing new about that though)

(Not posting this in the NFLG thread and getting beesixteyed)

To be Fair, I have ZERO doubt Wentz would look this good as a Brown. From a Organizational, Coaching and Surrounding Cast standpoint.

Philadelphia>>>>>>>>>>Cleveland

9 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

To be Fair, I have ZERO doubt Wentz would look this good as a Brown. From a Organizational, Coaching and Surrounding Cast standpoint.

We had this discussion in another thread earlier. I think how good Wentz would look in Cleveland is completely irrelevant to whether you take a QB when you have a chance.

1 minute ago, Phire said:

We had this discussion in another thread earlier. I think how good Wentz would look in Cleveland is completely irrelevant to whether you take a QB when you have a chance.

The problem is it is going to be a "what if we had Wentz" for the Browns until they get a real QB(if that ever happens). If the guy is there, and you think he can do it, you take him. Having a team around your QB is great, but if you never have the QB what is the point of having a team? Browns missed out and I am glad they did.

8 minutes ago, Phire said:

There’s no justifiable reason for passing up on a potential franchise qb. None. Literally none.

This. 

That statement is true for every franchise. And yet, it's somehow rings even truer with the Cleveland Browns. 

• DeShone Kizer
  • Robert Griffin III
  • Josh McCown
  • Cody Kessler
  • Johnny Manziel
  • Austin Davis
  • Brian Hoyer
  • Connor Shaw
  • Jason Campbell
  • Brandon Weeden
  • Thad Lewis
  • Colt McCoy
  • Seneca Wallace
  • Jake Delhomme
  • Brady Quinn
  • Derek Anderson
  • Ken Dorsey
  • Bruce Gradkowski
  • Charlie Frye
  • Trent Dilfer
  • Jeff Garcia
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Luke McCown
  • Tim Couch
  • Doug Pederson
  • Spergon Wynn
  • Ty Detmer

Those are the QBs in the history of the current iteration of the Cleveland Browns. Think about that for a second. Since the NFL brought back the Cleveland Browns in 1999, those are all of the QBs who have started at QB for the Browns. 

They had an opportunity to bring in Carson Wentz.

A QB who easily has more talent and potential than every single QB on that list.

And they passed on him because they thought Cody Kessler would be a better pro. 

You can't solve that level of incompetence. 

50 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

There's a reason I've taken to calling Cleveland, Football Hell

Wentz, who admitted to popping in Pederson's office at least once a day – and sometimes more – to discuss the game plan or playbook, didn't want to dub these debates as "arguments" but agreed that the dialogue between he and the coaches is part of the reason they have such a good relationship.

"I guess I wouldn't call them 'arguments' with my offensive coordinator in college. He was a real fired-up guy so we had some healthy discussions a lot," Wentz said later on Tuesday. "But it's really good – the relationship with Coach Pederson and Coach Reich has been really, really solid. We've had a lot of open dialogue. I respect the heck out of their opinions and I'm thankful they respect mine as well. It's been really beneficial for me and for the whole team."

15 hours ago, RollEagles said:

They had an opportunity to bring in Carson Wentz.

A QB who easily has more talent and potential than every single QB on that list.

And they passed on him because they thought Cody Kessler would be a better pro. 

You can't solve that level of incompetence. 

Here's the issue though. You're assuming all those guys on that list were just poor draft picks or pickups. Don't get me wrong, many were (Manziel, Quinn, etc.).  But someone like Tim Couch for instance, was touted as a great QB prospect.... and not just by the Browns.  The team overall has pretty deplorable throughout all this time as well, not just at the QB position.  So is it a case of them just not getting THE guy, or is it that they are crippling any prospective franchise QB early by having a bad system around them?

Seeing Wentz in person did make me realize the areas he needs to keep working on a little more.
You could really see the handful of times he should've pulled the trigger and for whatever reason didn't

I mean it's something he'll continue to work on...and on the whole it was great to watch him play.
But I'm excited to see how he gets even better over this year.

Archived