Alex Smith 60 minutes story

turtle28

After hearing Alex’s interview and that he’s emboldened that he can play at this level still and overcome any obstacles, I don’t think he’s going to retire. Also, they said his tibia wasn’t entirely healed when he first started practicing which suggests he could be more healthy this next upcoming season.

Kind of makes you wonder what they’ll do at QB. If Alex returns - which seems very likely - and they keep Kyle Allen because they like him, want to develop him for the future and Rivera believes if Allen hadn’t gotten hurt he could’ve done what Alex did and they keep Heinicke bc of how well he played in the 4th quarter vs the Panthers and how well he in the Playoff game it seems unlikely they’d take a QB in the draft but maybe they will.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Just from some of the quotes posted in the above posts, in other locations, it does not seem like Smith is really contemplating retirement.  But his future with the team- especially at his cap hit- is something to discuss.  

If Smith is sticking around, I see a lot of value in spending a first on a QB to make sure they are ready for Year 3.  Whether that is Wilson or Lance falling, or Trask or Jones, I’m just not sure.  

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Just from some of the quotes posted in the above posts, in other locations, it does not seem like Smith is really contemplating retirement.  But his future with the team- especially at his cap hit- is something to discuss.  

If Smith is sticking around, I see a lot of value in spending a first on a QB to make sure they are ready for Year 3.  Whether that is Wilson or Lance falling, or Trask or Jones, I’m just not sure.  

Yeah, I think Alex is coming back and I don’t think they’ll cut him. His cap hit is not huge. It’s a little high for my likening but I don’t think that’s a deal breaker.

As far as drafting a QB goes I think they love Kyle Allen and I know people hate to hear it but, Rivera & Turner believe Kyle can be the answer and could’ve done what Alex did if Kyle hadn’t gotten hurt. They’ve also been developing Kyle for 3 years now and next year would be the 4th. 

I also think they will keep Heinicke as a RFA which I think which makes this team set at least for this upcoming year at the QB position and maybe longer depending on what kind of deals Allen & Heinicke sign and how they look.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Just now, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I think Alex is coming back and I don’t think they’ll cut him. His cap hit is not huge. It’s a little high for my likening but I don’t think that’s a deal breaker.

As far as drafting a QB goes I think they love Kyle Allen and I know people hate to hear it bc Rivera & Turner believe Kyle can be the answer and could’ve done what Alex did if Kyle hadn’t gotten hurt. They’ve also been developing Kyle for 3 years now and next year would be the 4th. 

I also think they will keep Heinicke as a RFA which I think which makes this team set at least for this upcoming year at the QB position and maybe longer depending on what kind of deals Allen & Heinicke sign and how they look.

I am just not sure if Kyle Allen is the guy to stake what amounts to both of their jobs right now.  And as much as they want to put him on a pedestal, I would put money on them not being sure either.  

It’s going to be a long three months until the draft though, that much is for sure.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am just not sure if Kyle Allen is the guy to stake what amounts to both of their jobs right now.  And as much as they want to put him on a pedestal, I would put money on them not being sure either.  

It’s going to be a long three months until the draft though, that much is for sure.  

I agree with you, I wouldn’t stake my job on him or Heinicke either but, they obviously think differently than us or they’re just blowing smoke which I doubt because Rivera is usually direct.

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Alex-If we have a guy starting in Sept. that can qualify for a handicap tag-- I won't be happy .

We can’t control it. I’ve said all along it’s his choice and if he wants to play I think he’ll be the starter. 

I guess we could go with the guy who’s never won an NFL game and gets a major injury in every game he plays in though?

That sounds like the answer 

Edited by turtle28

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We can’t control it. I’ve said all along it’s his choice

But it isn't his choice to play here.  We owe him nothing.  We paid him a kingly amount.  He was treated plenty fair.  We need to do what is best for the future of our team, not the Alex Smith comeback story which resulted in him riding pine because he can't stay healthy.

• Like 1