How to fix our Defense

Dawgpoun8017

lets not kid ourselves at the beginning of the year had anyone told us that we would have had the year we had with new coaching, new systems, and covid all mixed together, I would have as well as many of you would have said sign me up.  Our offense looks to be in the realm of becoming a real force to be reckoned with, Baker showed signs that he is a franchise QB we have a two headed monster at RB and our O-line imo is the best in football, we have 3 serviceable Tight ends whom none are world beaters but they all do a little bit of everything and play their part in the offense, and we have good receivers on this team, Landry may not be the physical number specimen as some in this league but he is a great receiver in this league, Higgins stepped up big this year after not getting run early when OBJ got hurt, and speaking of OBJ, we will have to see where that train goes.  the big achilles heel of this team has been the defense all year, we really only have two play makers on the defense in Myles and Denzel, and I think that Harrison if he can stay healthy has the ability to be a playmaker, we have had some injuries in the secondary which didn't help us, Greedy got unlucky with the nerve issue, and Delpit with the achillies tear hurt us as that led to Sendejo having to be in the line up so much.  I personally think getting those two back hopefully fully healthy will be a boost to the defense but there are other spots that definitely need some upgrades, whether that be Free Agency or the draft..... Lets get to work

Edge- With OV getting injured like that I think he is definitely gone and we need to find someone to help Myles

Free Agency

Shaq Barrett- Good pass rusher, has really broken out with the Buccs, One I don't think they will let him go, and someone can correct me if I am wrong here, but with TB and Denver he seemed to be more of a 3-4 LB rusher as opposed to a hand in the dirt DE

USATSI_13348902.jpg

Yannick Ngakoue-  Was the prized pass rushing trade chip at the deadline, the Jags wouldn't give him the money he wanted so they traded him to Minny, who then traded him to Baltimore, now he had 8 sacks on the year, but he is going to be looking to get paid big time, he might price himself out of our range.

jaguars-fans-pushing-yannick-ngakoue-pro

Trey Hendrickson-  He has been a nice little find for the Saints, he blew up this year and with Marcus Davenport being a bust so far its possible they resign him, he may also not command a ton of money as this is his first real year of production.

gettyimages-1183277258-594x594-1.jpg

Draft(who will realistically be there when we pick, does not include who I think need to go to a 3-4)

Greg Rousseau-Miami-  I had a hard time thinking that he could fall to us being he was a top 10 prospect at the beginning of the year, I think the sitting out this year could hurt him a bit in the eyes of scouts as well as he is still very very raw, he has the frame and the athletic ability to be an impact defender all along the D-line, ultimately I think the combine will determine how long he really lasts

1163780721.jpg.jpg

Jaelan Phillips- Miami- Phillips is a bit of an enigma for me, because he is so talented was a mega recruit, but injuries kept him off the field for much of his college career before going to Miami, when getting to Miami he rushed the pass well and played the run well, alot of his deficiencies imo come from the technical aspect of the game, and the injury stigma will still probably follow him to an extent

ncaa-football-miami-at-clemson-1.jpg

Patrick Jones- Pitt- in 22 games with the panthers Jones racked up 24 TFL and 17.5 sacks, is a balanced defender when it comes to the run and the pass, has the tools but needs to sharpen his technique, a smart player when it comes to gap assignments and play processing

DH2_6879.jpg

Carlos Basham- Wake Forest- I will admit that Basham is one of my draft crushes this year, to me he just seems like an all around good DE prospect who is more athletic than his body type shows, in 31 games for the Deacs he has 33.5 TFL and 19.5 Sacks.  to me he is a good bookend to Myles because he is a power DE, contains well, and plays the run, he is not an ultra atlhetic bendy DE he is a power, technique and effort guy.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Dawgpoun8017
  • Like 2

Defensive Line

Free Agency

Leonard Williams- has played well since his trade to the Giants he has not been the pass rusher people thought when he came out but he has been stout against the run, never graded less that a 72 per PFF in the run game his whole career, he is going to be a big money free agent but could be worth it, give that tall frame at the D-line spot like Woods had with Buckner and Armstead in SF.

d8ae35c2f0f94421ac35910db89a5d3c.jpg?w=1

Dalvin Tomlinson- Williams running mate in NY, one of the better run stoppers in the NFL per PFF, unfortunately doubtful NY lets him get away letting Williams go and pairing Tomlinson with Dexter Lawrence

bog8t4fkplcihpblxhaf.jpg

Shelby Harris- an underrated member of this list, ever since taking over more playing time in Denver he has graded out as an above average player, has been in the top 3rd of the league defending the run and is a quick shifty pass rusher

shelby-harris-nfl-free-agency.jpg

Sheldon Rankins- He has the injury tag following him but when he is healthy he is a very explosive DT, he could be had possibly at a 1 year try our deal on a bargain.

usatsi_13473380_168388561_lowres.jpg

Draft

Cristian Barmore-Alabama-  your typical Alabama DT Barmore is a load to handle inside, wasnt really a full time starter for Alabama but they have so many horses they don't really need to rely on full time starters. Has a powerful upper body with powerful hands, sometimes plays with a high pad level that makes him susceptible to double teams, but shows a good swim move with a good ability to rush the passer

13701085-850x560.jpeg

Jay Tufele-USC- very athletic for his size, has a good get off on the snap, plays with high motor which allows him to be a very disruptive, force in the run and the pass game, has mean and explosive hands, 3 down D-Tackle

Jay-Tufele-768x432.jpg

Daviyon Nixon-Iowa- burst onto the scene this year after transfering from JUCO in 2019 who has shown a knack for getting after the QB from the DT spot, ideally a 3 tech , has good legnth and very violent hands, I dont think he is someone who is going to come right in and be a force, he is gonna need some smoothing but he has a very high ceiling as far as DT prospects go this year.

10054914.jpg

Edited by Dawgpoun8017
  • Like 2

Linebacker

Free Agency

Lavonte David-Tampa  David is a little up there in age in his 30's but is still playing at a high level, imo was one of first of todays modern LB, as well as Thomas Davis, has always tackled well and played the run well, but is also a very good coverage LB. tackling and coverage is what we need at LB

tmx92nipliof38zw36v1

Matt Milano-Buffalo- Milano has worked himself into one of the better coverage LB in the NFL, has lined up in the slot for the bills and very adept at covering the flat, he does have a little bit of a missed tackle issue which I am not crazy about as we had the same thing with Joe Schobert, Milano has missed 36 tackles over 2018 and 2019

7AW6ORAFZBHKVLL7DX64OJLJEE.jpg

Jayon Brown- Tennessee- since 2018 Brown has earned the 10th best coverage score among LB from PFF, much like Milano though, while he has strived in coverage he has shown to be fairly average when it comes to playing the run, fractured his elbow week 11

9d3466729e034b25ac7ba28bfa9403e6.jpg?w=1

KJ Wright- Seattle- Wright has been a model of consistency since being drafted by the Seahawks making up one of the best LB corp in the NFL with Bobby Wagner, has a well rounded game playing the run as well as coverage ranking him annually in the top 10 when it comes to LB in the NFL, like David is a bit older and could possibly be pushed out by Seattle's first round pick this past year, but on a possible two year deal would be a great addition to this team, transitioned to SLB this year playing more up towards the line

41ebcebb085fc60a13cad0cb3beceabc.jpg

Draft

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah- Notre Dame- JOK is a defensive swiss army knife for the Irish and plays everywhere, very explosive that projects to the WLB is very adept at dropping into coverage, has played CB, Slot, Safety, and LB in college.  Just seems to move at a different speed than other players on the field, has undeniable instincts to find the football and attack it, solid tackler and good blitzer can even play sub box safety, can do it all but play the MLB.

AP21003796437826-1024x683.jpg

Nick Bolton-Missouri-  I love Nick Bolton as a LB, he moves linear extremely well, tackles well, is built like a LB and carried himself as the enforcer of the Mizzou Defense, when he hit guys they felt it. Much better fit for zone coverage when it comes to the passing game, can improve on the angles he takes, and decision making when it comes to gap awareness, sometimes tries to make the splash play too much, but he is a true blue mean Mike backer who loves to hit and shows alot of leader qualities.

9949418.jpeg

Zaven Collins-Tusla- Collins has been about as solid at the LB position as there is in the college game, whether it was playing the run or falling back into coverage he has excelled at it, he has size, speed, length and power, shows to be a plus tackler, when he gets his hands on you, you generally dont get away, imo your typical Belichick LB

USATSI_15215156.jpg

Cam McGrone-Michigan-  Played the Mike in Michigan's blitz heavy defense this year, and shows all the physical traits for the position, showed good ability to pick up the back in man coverage and even at times lined up wide with tight ends, bit of a nasty streak showed no fear in mixing it up with the offensive line while blitzing.  could fall due to not having a very big sample size of games played under his belt, shows the ability to be a 3 down Mike though

5dd3607ff0636.image.jpg?resize=1200,912

Chazz Surrat-UNC- Former QB turned LB, Surratt has done a great job making the position change in 2019 his first year making the change he made the All ACC first team and runner up for ACC Defensive player of the year with 115 tackles 15 TFL, 6.5 Sacks an d 10 QB hurries.  in 2020 he showed more improvement to the coverage aspect of his game, is an exciting blend of mobility and physicality, still very new to the position Surratt still has learning to do, but he could turn into a plus 4-3 OLB

Surratt_Chazz_um_388.jpg

Edited by Dawgpoun8017
  • Like 4

26. Daviyon Nixon IDL, Iowa
58. Dayo Odeyingbo EDGE, Vanderbilt
89. Jamin Davis LB, Kentucky
91. DJ Daniel CB, Georgia 
109. David Moore IOL, Grambling 
129. Jaelon Darden WR, North Texas 
167. Jahad Woods LB, Washington State 
205. Tarron Jackson EDGE, Coastal Carolina 
249. Jamien Sherwood S, Auburn

19 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Try to fix the defensive line through free agency.

Fix the back 7 via draft picks.

This should be the mindset. 

I also like the idea of Zaven Collins at 26

the one thing I Don’t like is the talent that would Be there at 26 for the secondary. A lot of mocks have a lot of OL DL LBs going in the 20s. 

i would mind even trading up and seeing what top tier corner/DE slips

Edited by buno67

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

This should be the mindset. 

I also like the idea of Zaven Collins at 26

I am warming up to the thought of him as well, I like him and Bolton at 26 the best, idk if JOK will be there or not but right now im not sure how I feel, have to watch more of him

Cornerback- I am not quite as ready to giver up on Greedy as some others on this forum, I think his injury this year was a freak issue, Nerve injuries are tricky and not always very predictable, that being said I think the team needs to get a clean bill of health on him prior to free agency and the draft starting. I am not overly impressed with the depth of corners in the draft after the first couple guys

Free Agency- I think most of these guys are going to be short term one year two year deals

Richard Sherman-San Francisco Sherman is one of those guys that when you play against him you hate him but when he is on your team you love him, I wouldn't give him anything more than a 1 year deal, he isn't the corner he used to be but he can still play a bit, and he would be familiar with Woods system.

richard-sherman-012920-2-ftr-gettyjpg_15

Desmond King-Tennessee  King is one of the few guys that I think will get a multi year contract, but to be honest i'm not really 100% sure how to view him, his first two seasons he was one of the best slot corners in the league but then this year the Chargers shipped him off for virtually nothing, hen had a big fumble return his first game with the titans but as far as coverage wen he graded out at 50.5 in coverage in the regular season .

0b6dc4e1437a4d43a5272c43c684e45a.jpg?w=1

Mike Hilton- Pittsburgh- nothing more than a slot corner but has shown the ability to scrape his way into playing time he is good at playing man and zone a big coverage for him though is he is not a great tackler he has missed 26 tackles over the last two season.1273795563.jpg.0.jpg

Draft

Jaycee Horn-South Carolina-  I don't think that Horn is going to be here, I am just putting him here due where his ranking is.  Horn is a bigger corner at 6'1 with lanky arms and a physical nature. he is ultra competitive, and challenges the man he is covering at the point of catch.  he is a willing tackler but isnt always the best tackler

1182104435.jpeg

Eric Stokes-Georgia- Stokes is another bigger corner at 6'1 can play in man or zone but seems to be a better fit for zone since he isn't overly athletic, needs to work on his technique can get to grabby from time to time

pwrvtiukbzdy4bjn36ae

Asante Samuel Jr.- Florida State-  Not the biggest guy in the room but excels in man coverage, has quick feet, and loose hips and despite his smaller stature he is competitive in the run game and gets his job done.  Needs to work on his technique with the ball in the air such as getting his head around, imo he is a primarily man coverage corner

hi-res-739e00fd8632c7bd626413cff4127b5d_

Trill Williams- Syracuse-  He is a super athletic super physical corner who imo ultimate position will be the Nickle corner, he shows good coverage skills sticking with his man showing good short area quickness, and is constantly fighting for the ball, he was week in and week out the most competitive guy on our defense, he is an alpha dog when it comes to confidence in his abilities, I am not sure he has ever doubted himself on a football field.  He was probably the best if not right near the top as far as the best tacklers on the football team, he loves to hit.

10010927.jpg

Ifeatu Melifonwu-Syracuse- I am letting my Syracuse homerism show here, but I like this guy as a mid to late round guy who could turn into something with time.  He has played Corner for us primarly but has played some safety, .  he is the brother of Obi Melifonwu, he is long, rangy, and has no fear of being physical, is an above average tackler.  while he does not have the numbers of his teammate Cisco, he was a decently disruptive force in our secondary.

10119914.jpg

Edited by Dawgpoun8017