Chargers hire DC Brandon Staley as HC

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

If the scuttlebutt I was hearing (from reputable sources) that Staley, if hired, would be looking to bring Mike McDaniel with him as his OC - McDaniel's/Shanny's system would fit guys like Herbert, Ekeler, and Allen extremely well.  McDaniel having never been a play-caller, to my knowledge, could be a bit of a concern, but it might make an even stronger case for retaining Pep Hamilton as QB coach, because (while he doesn't have the strongest track record of it) he does have that experience and can advise in that capacity.

If Derwin James can stay healthy, that guy is going to go OFF in Staley's scheme; I'm not sure there is a more perfect fit for Derwin than a Staley/Fangio-styled hybrid scheme.

I saw you tag me in that but everyone else responded so I let it go. Honestly, I don't think that Shanny will ever let go of that playcalling, so I think that McDaniels is free game and can be poached. I haven't gotten confirmation on that, but I think that is legitimate.  I know that Miami was interested, and potentially Seattle, but I haven't heard anything about them actually interviewing him yet, so I'm not sure what his status is. 

For those looking for the link, it was Albert Breer that floated the Staley/McDaniel tandem, here: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/13/nfl-mailbag-broncos-hire-george-paton-more-job-openings

In the non-offensive-guru column, Rams DC Brandon Staley is one to watch. Staley’s an impressive dude—and it’s hard to argue with his results this year. He also, I believe, has a strong plan for the offense. San Francisco assistants Mike LaFleur and Mike McDaniel are both well-positioned for OC opportunities during this cycle, and I think Staley and 49ers DC Robert Saleh could each take one, if both land jobs.

And FWIW, he was right on the Saleh/LaFleur tandem, thus far.

Gotta wonder about a couple of things 

1. The Chargers requested a 2nd interview with Saleh before Staley. Wonder if Saleh was their first choice and maybe they got antsy when Saleh took the Jets job and didn’t want to get left at the alter again 

2. Maybe the Chargers had extra insight about Staley, seeing they share the same stadium, same city etc etc 

3. Staley must have been impressive in the interview process.  This will be Telesco’s third HC hire, you have to figure this is his last bite of the apple, at least with LAC

20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The only reason to go in this direction, and not get a bright O mind to oversee the team in 2021, is if they planning to keep Pep Hamilton as Herbert's QB guru.

Otherwise, man, it's a head scratcher.   I don't know that you get a good OC who wants to join who's better than Daboll / Bienemy.   Waiting 2-3 more weeks doesn't seem worth it unless the FO wanted Pep Hamilton to stay.

Sure seems like this is the angle.  If Steichen is staying, no doubt Pep Hamilton is staying.

I think Daboll / Bienemy would have been even better - but I will say the biggest issue LAC needed to fix was game management, and make the D more aggressive given their talent.   I do wish Staley had more than 1 year of DC experience, though.   If you do it a 2nd year, it's far more likely you can handle the HC jump, 1-year out-of-nowhere years with great talent....I won't say he's going to fail, but there's a LOT more uncertainty.   Now, if this is still 10x better than a recycle hire - but given that LAC might have been the top spot for HC's to go to...well, I hope they made the right call - I don't know that LAC is going to be in a better spot than they are now, as far as desirability goes.

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

For those looking for the link, it was Albert Breer that floated the Staley/McDaniel tandem, here: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/13/nfl-mailbag-broncos-hire-george-paton-more-job-openings

And FWIW, he was right on the Saleh/LaFleur tandem, thus far.

The thing I can't figure out is if the niners making McD OC would prevent that. Based on the communication, it almost makes it seem like a team couldn't even block a lateral move. Then there's the whole playcalling aspect. 

The resolution changes the current Anti-Tampering Policy by establishing a system that prohibits a club from denying  1) an assistant coach the opportunity to interview with a new team for a bona fide Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, or Special Teams Coordinator position; (2) a non-high-level/non-secondary football executive from interviewing for a bona fide Assistant General Manager position. In either case, a contract could not be negotiated or signed until after the conclusion of the employer club's playing season; and 3) requires all clubs submit in writing an organizational reporting structure for the coaching staff with job descriptions for any coach who is a coordinator or co-coordinator within that structure. The resolution also requires that any dispute regarding whether the new team is offering a "bona fide" position will be submitted promptly to the Commissioner, whose determination shall be final, binding and not subject to further review.

That being said, wouldn't Scangarello make a lot of sense as well? Not currently under contract, I think that they were in Denver in the same year, and Scange wasn't awful in Denver...thought he got just a bit of a raw deal there. 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Sure seems like this is the angle.  If Steichen is staying, no doubt Pep Hamilton is staying.

I think Daboll / Bienemy would have been even better - but I will say the biggest issue LAC needed to fix was game management, and make the D more aggressive given their talent.   I do wish Staley had more than 1 year of DC experience, though.   If you do it a 2nd year, it's far more likely you can handle the HC jump, 1-year out-of-nowhere years with great talent....I won't say he's going to fail, but there's a LOT more uncertainty.   Now, if this is still 10x better than a recycle hire - but given that LAC might have been the top spot for HC's to go to...well, I hope they made the right call - I don't know that LAC is going to be in a better spot than they are now, as far as desirability goes.

I hadn't really thought about it, but yeah, keeping Steichen probably makes a certain degree of sense. I'm not sure if he was calling plays though last year. 

4 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Gotta wonder about a couple of things 

1. The Chargers requested a 2nd interview with Saleh before Staley. Wonder if Saleh was their first choice and maybe they got antsy when Saleh took the Jets job and didn’t want to get left at the alter again 

2. Maybe the Chargers had extra insight about Staley, seeing they share the same stadium, same city etc etc 

3. Staley must have been impressive in the interview process.  This will be Telesco’s third HC hire, you have to figure this is his last bite of the apple, at least with LAC

Part of that could just be timing though. When your interviewee's team is still in the playoffs, you have to conduct interviews by a certain point and then have to wait. By virtue of note being in the playoffs, Saleh was available pretty much whenever.