2020 AFC Championship - Buffalo Bills vs. Kansas City Chiefs

DigInBoys

Who will win?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Bills
    • Chiefs

40 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I like Buffalo. They are healthier, and they are playing better ball right now.

They might have less guys on the injury report, but we're still coming off of 3 weeks rest before our win against the Browns. That level of rest tends to show it's worth the more the playoffs go on.

We also got Mahomes, Watkins, and CEH coming back. It's pretty easy to figure out whats going to happen this game... Chiefs win.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

That's... that's a strong take.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Really? Because I don’t. They’ve got a QB that can compete with Mahomes throw for throw. 

BayRaider more or less covered it. Buffalo is the better team, but I think Cleveland was the scarier matchup for us in particular. I outlined what I think is the right recipe to beat us awhile back, and Cleveland checked more of the boxes. DL more capable of pressure without blitzing. Offense more capable of winning in multiple ways (Josh Allen is really the only runner that scares me on Buffalo.) Cleveland actually turns the ball over less, is better in pass pro, and our D sometimes relies on negative plays to get big stops. Where the Bills are stronger align with our strengths better. On D our LBs are the big weakness, our DBs are excellent, so I feel better about stopping Diggs and Beasley than Chubb and Hunt. Buffalo has the better back seven, but that doesn't mean it's good enough to stop Mahomes/Hill/Kelce. Our big weakness on O is the OL, but our OL dominated Buffalo the first go around, and they don't have anyone on the level of Garrett to take advantage without blitzing. Cleveland doesn't have any non-DL players with more than 1 sack. They don't really blitz, just let Garrett and Vernon and Richardson win. Matt Milano and A.J. Klein are two of Buffalo's top guys in sacks and pressures, and if they're having to blitz to get pressure, Mahomes always eats that up.

Buffalo is the better team, and there's more potential for Josh Allen to just have an unstoppable kind of game than Baker Mayfield. But I think Cleveland was better suited to take advantage of what we're bad at.

Chiefs looked great against Cleveland. Offense was sharp when Mahomes was in, defense held an explosive offense to 17 when they absolutely had to. No rust at all. Unfortunately we were missing our best player for the last 22 minutes of the game

Chiefs are so prepared for the playoffs this year, this is where the season really starts for them. If Mahomes plays I expect KC to win. If he doesn’t I expect a great effort out of our defense and a bold gameplan from Andy Reid. 

• Like 1

Heard all week how our run defense is Swiss cheese and Browns will torch us on the ground all game. Also heard the same thing the previous year.

Can't wait for all the well informed takes this week. Although it seems people are hanging their hat on Mahomes being out. 

Everyone is a doctor all of a sudden

• Like 1

I'll be cheering for the Bills both ananunderdog, and because I would rather face them than KC if The Packers get to the superbowl, but just can't see them winning here so long as Mahomes is back and fully ready.

They really, really need to reconsider just how lopsided their offense has become as the season has progressed, as it might be getting worse than even the Mike McCarthy era Packers were for much of the last few seasons. 47 passing plays vs 9 runs is just farcical and an almost guaranteed way of losing against the elite teams in the playoffs. If I recall they didn't have a single running play until very late in the 2nd quarter, barring Allen scrambling. 

1 hour ago, BigTrav said:

Heard all week how our run defense is Swiss cheese and Browns will torch us on the ground all game. Also heard the same thing the previous year.

Can't wait for all the well informed takes this week. Although it seems people are hanging their hat on Mahomes being out. 

Everyone is a doctor all of a sudden

There is NO WAY Mahomes doesn’t play this game. The concussion protocol is all smoke and mirrors. Andy Reid’s presser said it all. They’re trying to steer it in another direction already. It’s the AFC championship game and there is zero chance Mahomes doesn’t suit up. 

Also, I have the Bills winning this game. I could go into all my reasoning but I don’t feel like it right now. 

4 hours ago, DannyB said:

haha you think the browns have an explosive offense

Yeah I’m pretty familiar with good offenses.  

Browns were considered one of the hottest teams in the league (until yesterday of course). Mayfield was supposedly playing better than Mahomes down the stretch, so yes the defense played great

I have little doubt Mahomes will play.   However, I have doubts as to whether he'll be playing even close to 100 percent.

The concussion is a major story - but let's assume he plays.   If he does, then the game plan will be heavily weighted to take fewer risks with his mobility, and exposure to big hits.    The other part that's getting missed - he clearly had a foot issue come up.   If it's a foot issue, it's not going away in a week.   Normally, not a big deal, but you have a concussed QB returning, with more limited mobility?    That's a big double-whammy.

Again, I believe Mahomes plays.  And he's the best QB when healthy.  But then we factor the other parts of the game:

-BUF's greatest weakness is their run D.  But KC's run game is just struggling hard.   Losing Osemele & Schwartz, on top of Duvernay-Tardif, has really rendered KC's OL very mortal.   Mahomes' heroics has masked that.   But if you have even a limited Mahomes, you're going to see this issue come up more.

-Tyreek Hill and Kelce are still major problems.   But if there's a D that can limit them in the AFC, besides the Chargers (who always play KC tough), it's the Bills pass D.   

-The biggest difference from other games is of course....that BUF O.   Josh Allen, Diggs, his supporting cast.     KC's D is good, but it's not great.   And they may have lost Breeland, which would be a major blow to their secondary coverage - Brian Daboll is a master at repeatedly exposing the weak link (how some weeks it's the TE, other weeks it's Gabriel Davis, or Isiah McKenzie who have a big game).   You can't have a pass game weakness, Daboll will scheme a way to exploit it.

Now, the KC home field with their noise is a huge help.  And as always, it's the TO's that often tell the tale (that CLE missed TD was massive).  I don't see much of a difference - and if Mahomes was completely healthy (or as healthy as you can get in January anyways), then I'd have KC by 3.  But give me BUF by 3 here, given that Mahomes will not be 100 percent (but I do think he plays).

Either way, this should be an insta-classic game.   Really, this AFCG / NFCG could be a day for the ages IMO.

• Like 1