2020 AFC Championship - Buffalo Bills vs. Kansas City Chiefs

DigInBoys

Who will win?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Bills
    • Chiefs

Just now, Broncofan said:

I have little doubt Mahomes will play.   However, I have doubts as to whether he'll be playing even close to 100 percent.

The concussion is a major story - but let's assume he plays.   If he does, then the game plan will be heavily weighted to take fewer risks with his mobility, and exposure to big hits.    The other part that's getting missed - he clearly had a foot issue come up.   If it's a foot issue, it's not going away in a week.   Normally, not a big deal, but you have a concussed QB returning, with more limited mobility?    That's a big double-whammy.

Again, I believe Mahomes plays.  And he's the best QB when healthy.  But then we factor the other parts of the game:

-BUF's greatest weakness is their run D.  But KC's run game is just struggling hard.   Losing Osemele & Schwartz, on top of Duvernay-Tardif, has really rendered KC's OL very mortal.   Mahomes' heroics has masked that.   But if you have even a limited Mahomes, you're going to see this issue come up more.

-Tyreek Hill and Kelce are still major problems.   But if there's a D that can limit them in the AFC, besides the Chargers (who always play KC tough), it's the Bills pass D.   

-The biggest difference from other games is of course....that BUF O.   Josh Allen, Diggs, his supporting cast.     KC's D is good, but it's not great.   And they may have lost Breeland, which would be a major blow to their secondary coverage - Brian Daboll is a master at repeatedly exposing the weak link (how some weeks it's the TE, other weeks it's Gabriel Davis, or Isiah McKenzie who have a big game).   You can't have a pass game weakness, Daboll will scheme a way to exploit it.

Now, the KC home field with their noise is a huge help.  And as always, it's the TO's that often tell the tale (that CLE missed TD was massive).  I don't see much of a difference - and if Mahomes was completely healthy (or as healthy as you can get in January anyways), then I'd have KC by 3.  But give me BUF by 3 here, given that Mahomes will not be 100 percent (but I do think he plays).

Either way, this should be an insta-classic game.   Really, this AFCG / NFCG could be a day for the ages IMO.

You as a bronco fan should remember this very well. When pittsburgh advanced to the divisional rd, Burfict took out AB and he wasn't able to play the following week against you guys because the concussion was that bad

5 hours ago, brushmyhair said:

You as a bronco fan should remember this very well. When pittsburgh advanced to the divisional rd, Burfict took out AB and he wasn't able to play the following week against you guys because the concussion was that bad

IMO part of that was that I don't think that was AB's first concussion.   To be clear, there's no evidence that says it wasn’t his first - but again, when AB played, and where he played in college, they pretty much would not have been very vigilant, and certainly wouldn't have published on this.  

I do think it's highly unlikely Mahomes gets cleared until Fri/Sat, given the multi-stage protocol.   That's not a huge deal as far as knowing the system and what to do, but the longer it takes, the more likely even if cleared, Mahomes is going to have some issues in his return - and the most benign will be a more limited playbook, to limit his risk (and probably a little more protection, too).

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Jay Glazer has been reporting Mahomes issue was more a result of being choked out. (Which actually makes more since when you watch the play). If that is the fact Chiefs have little to worry about. 

Bring choked out for 2 secs or less doesn’t create a concussion injury that causes players to miss rest of game.    There’s a reason you need to have that hold locked in for a lot longer to get a submission in MMA.   

If you watch the replay it’s the head impact and counter-impact that creates the force.    I have zero belief Mahomes will miss the game as long as he had no prior history.   But that’s a huge reach to say he wasn’t concussed.   The physiology doesn’t support that statement.    That's some MAJOR spin with no medical basis to back it up.   Mahomes only misses the rest of the game if he's concussed, not some 2-sec-or-less choke hold. 

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, Nightime said:

Browns were considered one of the hottest teams in the league (until yesterday of course). Mayfield was supposedly playing better than Mahomes down the stretch, so yes the defense played great

Oh and yeah, everybody was soooo high on the Browns and totally thought they had the advantage at the most important position in team sports, right.

That's why the Browns were an effing 10 point dog in the divisional round of the playoffs. Ya nobody believed in Mahomes and Chiefs!

If that was a nerve injury that made Mahomes go out (he was dazed as hell and looked like some kind of cord got twisted), that's pretty scary if he just goes back out next week. Didn't peyton manning lose the ability to grip the ball from that kind of thing? 

Hopefully it's nothing, injuries bite. 

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I mean good point, was wondering if they’d try Tredavious on him. 

Not sure what we will do. I wouldn’t be agains trying Tre. Kelce is what I’m worried about more so than Hill. Hill can obviously break anything at any time but the Bills don’t give up deep balls unless it’s a Hail Mary...lol. Hill could easily house a slant or screen pass but knowing that deep ball is going to be at least limited is a good feeling. Kelce is going to absolutely eat. Could easily see 10+ catches for 125 yards.

Personally i would bracket Kelce, put Tre on Hill, with help over the top and say beat us with Hardman, Watkins, etc.