Christian McCaffrey's rookie campaign

TecmoSuperJoe

Christian McCaffrey has had a disappointing rookie debut to me so far this season. I know it's only his first year, but it seems to be that running back is the position that you can really tell early on what kind of guy you are going to get. McCaffrey was touted as the next Marshall Faulk-like back coming out of college, but he's looking more like the next Danny Woodhead doing most of his damage in the passing game. Meanwhile Kareem Hunt and Leonard Fournette looking good as pure rushing is concerned. Does Carolina not know how to use him, is the run blocking that awful, or could this just be McCaffrey not having a good ability to hit the hole in the pros? 104 yards and 2.7 yards per carry so far this season is bad even for a rookie. But I know Carolina's other backs aren't doing well either. I haven't watched every Panthers game this season so I'm curious to those that have seen a heavy dose of every game what you believe the issue is. Thanks. 

Johnthan stewart for comparison is averaging a whopping 2.9 YPC. It's Carolina's blocking and the fact McAffrey hasn't topped more than 13 carries in a game that's leading to the pathetic YPC average. 

Still that's no excuse considering he hasn't topped more than 4.0 YPC in any single game and has Cam Newton to draw the attention away from him in the running game.

I was just about to post something about this. I expected him to go nuts whether it was running or catching but neither has really been featured a ton. Idk if its the OL or if Olsen getting hurt allows defenses to key on him more but the fact JStew is struggling shouldnt change anything. We all expected Caff to beat him like a drum eventually

I never saw why he was considered to have the ability to continue his athletic dominance in the NFL, personally. Yes, Carolina's run blocking has been awful this year as evidence by their performance last night, albeit against the best front 7 in football (..?), but I don't think he'll emerge as a feature or dominant back in any way. He can find a successful role as a 3DRB.

He's makes several key plays a game. So far that has mostly been receiving as he's gotten a couple touchdowns the past 2 games, but he's also made several key first down catches to keep drives alive. I think last night's failed 4th down attempt is a microcosm of what's held back some of the big plays this year. Cam has been wildly inaccurate, and there were 2 times last night McCaffrey was open one on a wheel route in the endzone that Cam completely threw off the mark, and the last play of the game where McCaffrey beat the defender, and had space to run, but Cam threw it in the dirt.

As for the run game, while it is a bit underwhelming. It cannot be stated enough that Jonathan Stewart is averaging 2.9 ypc, and the backs were averaging negative yards per carry last night. That goes completely on the Oline. It's still early, and if someone else in the backfield starts finding success carrying the ball not named McCaffrey then I'll start to worry about his ability to run the ball, but at this point I'm not concerned. He's still finding ways to make impacts receiving/returning 

Just now, tyler735 said:

He's makes several key plays a game. So far that has mostly been receiving as he's gotten a couple touchdowns the past 2 games, but he's also made several key first down catches to keep drives alive. I think last night's failed 4th down attempt is a microcosm of what's held back some of the big plays this year. Cam has been wildly inaccurate, and there were 2 times last night McCaffrey was open one on a wheel route in the endzone that Cam completely threw off the mark, and the last play of the game where McCaffrey beat the defender, and had space to run, but Cam threw it in the dirt.

As for the run game, while it is a bit underwhelming. It cannot be stated enough that Jonathan Stewart is averaging 2.9 ypc, and the backs were averaging negative yards per carry last night. That goes completely on the Oline. It's still early, and if someone else in the backfield starts finding success carrying the ball not named McCaffrey then I'll start to worry about his ability to run the ball, but at this point I'm not concerned. He's still finding ways to make impacts receiving/returning 

People keep saying he will find success as a 3rd down back. That seems inaccurate to me. He will find success as a WR/RB. As a rookie he's already playing WR on the outside, in the slot, and out of the backfield. He's running a variety of routes at those spots as well. That is far beyond any typical 3rd down back

Panthers fan here

He seems a very nice guy with tremendous work ethic but on the field at this point he looks like a waste of the 8th overall pick and very disapointing when you see these 3rd rounders producing so much

He remembers me a lot of Reggie Bush, beating guys with speed at the college level, but unable to translate this to the much faster NFL level and also because he will be a decent player in the league for years but a huge reach at the position he was drafted

He's done what I've expected he would do thus far, and I don't think that it is his ceiling or all that near it yet. I will point this out, Minnesota Vikings past few years have had the worst (or one of) offensive lines in the NFL, they didn't bother bringing back Matt Kalil, the Carolina Panthers did to be their starting left tackle. Having him start at your left tackle automatically makes your offensive line in the bottom half of the league if not bottom third, and I was one of the few Vikings fans who held out hope he could return to rookie season form eventually. Expect in future years to see a solid RB and a great receiving RB.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

He's pretty much Reggie Bush. Bush took awhile before he became a somewhat productive runner. Bad value pick by Carolina. The same could be said when the Saints took Bush top 5.

I was actually going to post this - he's like a (hopefully for the Panthers) healthy version of Bush. 

I didn't mind the pick. I think that they could have gone elsewhere in the first round to help the team out more, but I get his appeal. I didn't quite understand taking him and then immediately taking Samuel afterward. That seemed a little odd. 

Archived