Christian McCaffrey's rookie campaign

TecmoSuperJoe

Just not a fan of taking jack of all trades, master of none skill position players high in the draft. Tavon Austin is a player that's sorta similar to mcCaffrey in that regard.  I just don't think the value is there most of the time.

I do think Mac is salvageable if they move him to WR full time. He's a pretty advanced route runner and he has the quickness to create separation. Running him between the tackles will not work out long term because he's just not big enough to break tackles and take the pounding.

As I've mentioned throughout the thread he has very rare route running ability and hands for a RB, and without any hyperbole could be a very good WR in the NFL. Despite Cam being wildly inaccurate look at some of these plays he's already made so far this season. It also goes beyond that stats as defenses are already focused on him and you see defenders swarm towards him often times as he goes out for a route out of the backfield. 

2 hours ago, Crickett said:

So here is the inevitable question: Why is Carolina's run blocking so terrible?  This is the same interior line they've had since 2014 and this is the worst their run game has looked. 

Actually it isn't since Ryan Kalil hasn't played at all except for the season opener I think. And Ty Larsen is not a top center like Kalil is.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'd be curious to see the percentage makeup of McCaffrey's routes and where they originated from. I though I saw him much more out of the backfield in both games I watched, but I also missed chunks of each game I watched (49ers gm wk1, last night), so I can't say. 

If this tweet is anything to go by it seems that the past couple weeks he's been utilized closer to half and half out wide as a WR and in the backfield.

13 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

If this tweet is anything to go by it seems that the past couple weeks he's been utilized closer to half and half out wide as a WR and in the backfield.

Thanks for the info.

I like the closer to 50/50 utilization to be honest. 

He isn't very explosive and his long speed isn't very good. Quick, sure. Is he some kind of "special" player. Hell no.

The fact that people thought he was better than Fournette is a joke. I can't believe people can't see that kind of talent when it slaps them in the face.

He's a good pass catcher, but I've never seen a player unbelievably overhyped like mccaffrey was predraft.

14 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He isn't very explosive and his long speed isn't very good. Quick, sure. Is he some kind of "special" player. Hell no.

The fact that people thought he was better than Fournette is a joke. I can't believe people can't see that kind of talent when it slaps them in the face.

He's a good pass catcher, but I've never seen a player unbelievably overhyped like mccaffrey was predraft.

I'm sorry I could have sworn it was just 6 games into their rookie season. If I'm not mistaken Fournette wasn't exactly setting the world on fire until his 90 yard touchdown. Prior to that carry he was averaging a whopping 3.48 yards per carry on the season, and faced such dominant defenses as the Ravens, Jets, and Titans. In other words, lets let these guys finish their rookie year and see where we are at. He may end up better, but at this point, the jury is still very much out on this.

This would essentially be like saying Joe Mixon is a colossal bust right now as he is averaging 2.8 ypc and has hardly been a factor in the receiving game after many touted him as one of the most talented RB's in the draft. 

46 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I'm sorry I could have sworn it was just 6 games into their rookie season. If I'm not mistaken Fournette wasn't exactly setting the world on fire until his 90 yard touchdown. Prior to that carry he was averaging a whopping 3.48 yards per carry on the season, and faced such dominant defenses as the Ravens, Jets, and Titans. In other words, lets let these guys finish their rookie year and see where we are at. He may end up better, but at this point, the jury is still very much out on this.

This would essentially be like saying Joe Mixon is a colossal bust right now as he is averaging 2.8 ypc and has hardly been a factor in the receiving game after many touted him as one of the most talented RB's in the draft. 

honestly when I saw Joe Mixon the first time in Cincy he reminded me of Knile Davis. Big guy, super athletic, but a NFL RB? Not really. 

Terrible blocking, lack of carries, QB not doing him any favours.  

Will be at least an above avg RB, but is looking more like he could become one of the better slot WRs at this stage - at least when Cam Newton is hitting targets (that guy is so inconsistent).

i saw the very valid point raised somewhere, it may have been here, about how the panthers are more or less sinking themselves by using cam as an RB1 because by the time that the quarterback takes so many big hits (bc cam doesn't slide all the time and also hammers it up the middle every now and then) his accuracy is going to be all ruined late in the game when he's got to start throwing too. this will in turn limit capabilities of guys like mccaffery in the receiving game while also taking running carries from them for cam

Last night was the first Panthers game I've seen this year.  But if their run blocking for the season is anywhere near as bad as it was last night, I'll withhold any judgement for now.   Kareem Hunt would still be "that 3rd round rookie" if he were in McCaffrey's position.  

5 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

Actually it isn't since Ryan Kalil hasn't played at all except for the season opener I think. And Ty Larsen is not a top center like Kalil is.

Plus Matt Kalil is the LT which is an automatic downgrade for the entire offense.

Archived