What will the Browns do with ODBJ

Vladimir L

I honestly think the Browns win with ODB. He’s got the speed to beat Chiefs corners, and open up the field for the RBs/TE/other WRs. They needed his speed in the worst way, although with another injury I wonder how much speed he’s got left?

if he’s good to go they should keep him.

Edited by Chiefer

Browns went 7-4 after he got injured, 7 of your top 10 offensive total yards were games without him. 6 of your top 10 scoring games were without him. Paying him $16 mil next year coming off a serious injury 3rd time in his career having season ending injuries. If you can get a decent return (2nd rd pick) I say trade him to a wr needy team get the 15 mil off of your books to pay the guys that will be seeking new deals. 2022 season will require quite a bit of decision and cap making as Baker will be on his 5th year option, hunt, Chubb, Teller, Ward will all be seeking extensions not to mention Lamb and Higgins are a FA this year. Plus all the defensive guys like Vernon, Joseph etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’m assuming he won’t be a Brown next season and I doubt someone trades for him unless it’s a steal 

cost them 12.5 mil if they flat out cut him they will save all 15+ mil by trading him and have no cap hit if traded so they either keep or trade him as it doesnt financially make sense to flat out cut him as it will only clear 3 mil

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

cost them 12.5 mil if they flat out cut him they will save all 15+ mil by trading him and have no cap hit if traded so they either keep or trade him as it doesnt financially make sense to flat out cut him as it will only clear 3 mil

I’m saying that because of that the only trade they could make is someone essentially stealing him. Too many variables working against the Browns if they want to move on. 

32 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I honestly think the Browns win with ODB. He’s got the speed to beat Chiefs corners, and open up the field for the RBs/TE/other WRs. They needed his speed in the worst way, although with another injury I wonder how much speed he’s got left?

This is where I am.

I don't think we'd get good enough value in a trade anyway, so I'm guessing he stays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Thank you.

This was my argument after yesterday’s game. We don’t have any real man to man beaters.

Cleveland should keep him.

6 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

2022 season will require quite a bit of decision and cap making as Baker will be on his 5th year option, hunt, Chubb, Teller, Ward will all be seeking extensions not to mention Lamb and Higgins are a FA this year. Plus all the defensive guys like Vernon, Joseph etc.

Just my opinion:

1. Hunt has already been extended. I’ll be honest, Nick might be the odd man out. It’s not a good idea to pay a RB.

2. You’re right about Baker and Teller, but we have next year for them.

3. Lamb? Do you mean Kendall Lamm? He’s a 3rd string OT.

4. We need to keep Higgins. He’s the only FA we need to keep.

5. Vernon is old and just hurt his Achilles and Joseph sucks.

I believe his cap hit is north of 12 mil this year if they get rid of him. Doubt the Browns get his value in a trade at this point anyways. But after this year a cap hit with his release or trade is nothing I believe as all his guaranteed money will have been paid. All likelihood they keep him for this year, get him to return to the production level of old OBJ and keep him or rebound his stock and get good value if they move him and use what money would then be freed to resign guys like Teller, Chubb, Baker, etc. 

Sunday showed what a pass O without a talent like OBJ does vs. a strong pass D with an actual functional O.    Baker had a supreme 2H...vs. a great QB schedule.    I give him full marks, when there's a clean pocket, he thrives.  But you still need guys to get open - and that's OBJ.   Landry's great at the short game, but OBJ can win short & in the deep game.   That's what CLE lacks.

You keep OBJ.   In 3-wide, it's Landry in the slot, Higgins in the other outside position, and OBJ in the X.   2-TE with Higgins sitting out.     Don't overthink it.

17 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Browns went 7-4 after he got injured, 7 of your top 10 offensive total yards were games without him. 6 of your top 10 scoring games were without him. Paying him $16 mil next year coming off a serious injury 3rd time in his career having season ending injuries. If you can get a decent return (2nd rd pick) I say trade him to a wr needy team get the 15 mil off of your books to pay the guys that will be seeking new deals. 2022 season will require quite a bit of decision and cap making as Baker will be on his 5th year option, hunt, Chubb, Teller, Ward will all be seeking extensions not to mention Lamb and Higgins are a FA this year. Plus all the defensive guys like Vernon, Joseph etc.

Context is key - CLE faced 5 bottom 7 pass D's in JAX, CIN, LV, TEN, HOU - and got to face PIT sitting their guys, and then PIT a 2nd time with Big Ben & Pouncey handing them +5 in TO's.    They did do well against BAL's D and OK vs. PHI's middle-of-pack D (man they've fallen off a cliff this year - 16th in DVOA).    But if they want to go far in playoffs, having guys who can beat elite pass D's one on one, is essential.     If the Browns had that guy, sure, let OBJ walk.   But right now, they really don't - Landry is a zone beater, and no one else is ready to make that leap.  

CLE has already done 2 key steps to build a sustainable contender - they've got an elite RB tandem to give them a great run game, and the OL is a top 5 blocking unit.  That latter part is huge, since it hides Baker's biggest weakness (very few QB's do well vs. pressure, but Baker truly struggles there, compared to the elite tier).    Giving him weapons who can beat 1 on 1 coverage is the key to him playing well vs. elite D's (along with the other 2).  Those guys don't grow on trees.   

If CLE had that 1-on-1 playmaker, sure.  But they don't....not yet, anyways.   For the savings, it's not worth it.  They're not bringing in a 1-on-1 playmaker WR at 12.5M.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1