Let's talk OTackles...

mwalker

I personally think we need two OTs and one interior lineman, but OT is a big one.
I can't say I know them all in and out, but there are some interesting ones.

P.Sewell - he's a top 4 pick, so no need to discuss.

Not sure there's a consensus after that, but my thoughts...

S.Cosmi, OT, Texas
Seems to be the consensus 2 or 3. Sounds like he's picked up his play this year,
after being 'full of potential' last. He's got good size and strength. I can't say I'd be upset,
but I like a couple others more, out of instinct more than anything else.

C.Darrisaw, OT, VTech
All I read says amazing athlete, incredible upside.
He might be gone before we pick as I've seen him ranked anywhere
between 15 overall and end of 1st round. He's also young,
so he looks like he could be a future star. I'm a fan.

R.Slater, OT, NW
Some see him as a huge upside, but inside. Some see him as a T.
He's apparently a mean, tough one, compared to R.Hunt from last year.
From what I read, I also think he's better inside, but he's a power player.

J.Mayfield, UM
Young. Big upside. And big with room to grow.
He's only 20, I believe, but appears to have a very bright future.
He's seems to be a real all rounder, so I think he's a possibility as well. 

A.Leatherwood, ALA
I like him. Some  also think he's a better OG than OT, but I think he's 
solid, strong and well battle tested to be a great tackle. I also like the 
experience of power play in the run game. He's not my first choice of the
bunch, but if they're not around...

Others:
L.Eichenberg, ND - Sounds like a good all rounder.
D.Radunz, ND St - Sounds good, but I don't know a lot.
T.Jenkins, OK St - I like what I read about him
J.Carman, Clem - I like him, but either as a G or RT only
D.Faalele, Minn - GINORMOUS. Incredible athlete, but I just haven't seen him much.
S.Brown, NIowa - also huge, but don't know much more
W.Little, Stan - projects to G for some. Not as mean as I want.
B.Christenson, BYU - don't know much.
T.Vrabel, BC - don't know much. Seems a bit light.
A.Jackson, Iowa - I like this guy. Might be an OG, but I like him. Strong.
A.Lucas, WSU - he used to be rated higher I think. Big size and experience.

I'd still have a hard time passing on N.Harris if he's there, but it's got to be OT
in RD 1 or 2 and likely another later. I think. I'd be ecstatic to see an all Alabama
3 RDS - with N.Harris, A.Leatherwood and L.Dickerson, but that's unlikely.
I'm not a Bama homer or fan really,  I just really like the players they have coming
out this year when matched with our needs.

Eichenberg is going to end up a steal in this draft.  And frankly, Colbert won't do this, but here's what I would do:

Trade back out of 24.  I'm thinking Miami for 36 and 50, especially if they trade for Watson without giving up either of those picks.  They'll be eager for one of the edge defenders that will likely be there.

At 36 you take Najee Harris/Travis Etienee.  At 50 you take Liam Eichenberg.  At 55 you take Josh Myers (OC OSU).  Rd 3 take Kary Vincent Jr (CB LSU).

Too bad Colbert refuses to trade down.

I see Slater as a OG in the NFL.  i like Cosmi and Leatherwood as LT.  I also like Little from Stanford.  I think he has the movement skills to be an OT in the NFL.

Brown from N. Iowa would be a good RT

Edited by jebrick

I like the trade down idea @warfelg proposed. I agree with the sentiment. We need to come away with a OT, a RB, and a Center. I like the idea of grabbing Cosmi in round 1, the better UNC back with our 2. Then trying to get Georgia's OC, Trey Hill a little later. He's a behemoth. Couple him with Dotson inside, and a slick pass protector at LT, and we've got ourselves a stew going. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

Eichenberg is going to end up a steal in this draft.  And frankly, Colbert won't do this, but here's what I would do:

Trade back out of 24.  I'm thinking Miami for 36 and 50, especially if they trade for Watson without giving up either of those picks.  They'll be eager for one of the edge defenders that will likely be there.

At 36 you take Najee Harris/Travis Etienee.  At 50 you take Liam Eichenberg.  At 55 you take Josh Myers (OC OSU).  Rd 3 take Kary Vincent Jr (CB LSU).

Too bad Colbert refuses to trade down.

Was just coming in here to say that in 5 years Liam will be known as the 2nd best tackle in this draft. He is my upgraded prime version of Alejandro 

39 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’d rather get a slightly better athlete at OT than Eichenberg. I don’t hate him, though. He’s going to be pretty good, I’d bet. Good run blocker, pretty good pass blocker. 

I'm kinda the opposite.  Give me the guy that's the tactician at the position over the athlete.  The tacticians tend to have better longer careers.

Will 100% agree on the Eichenberg love.  Long time player and at a high level.  Dude is a self made man, and will be a great player.

Quick thumbnail on the others:

• Cosmi is intriguing in that he is a huge finesse player.  More suited for zone/pass pro, not the mauler we all want.  But, fits a need in that he is more like Villy.  Will need some time to develop... not plug and play.
  • Darrisaw is super athletic and all over the place on rankings.  When I see him, I see a lunger and a guy that is not technically refined.  Maybe more RT than LT,  but an intriguing guy.
  • Slater is the prototypical swiss army knife.  Can play everywhere.  Not sure what he is best at, but for a team that needs all OL, he might fit the bill.
  • Leatherwood is GOOD.  I like him.  Maybe not a NFL LT, but is a OG/RT guy.
  • I LOVE Maybin.  If you can look past the lack of experience, he is the man.  Dude is a mauler and so dang young.  Man among boys in the Big 10, will be a super fine player.  I like that he had to grind his freshman year and didn't come in all hyped up.

Of the rest of your guys, I really like Carman as a high level player in big games and Little, but at IOL, but OT.  Falalee is HUGE (6'9", 400 huge) and is a road grader.  He would be fun just to see what we can make out of him.  Lucas is another big finesse guy that tumbled down boards with Leach leaving WSU.