2021 Offseason Discussion

Kiwibrown

16 hours ago, buno67 said:

That would destroy the Steelers and Reslly Hurt KC and potentially Tenn

prolly Move on from Keenum Richardson Njoku and Hubbard 

@LETSGOBROWNIESKnows of all people how critical I was of Njoku, he was soft, mentally weak, needed to switch to defense, everything. With how he blocked and was reliable at the second half of the year, we need to find a way to keep him. That second half Njoku was closer to the guy we drafted in the first round. 

Richardson needs at least a 2 year deal with an option, he was money well spent, and his leadership is supremely underrated. We can't go into the season with two holes at DT.

14 hours ago, buno67 said:

this team already had the 5th youngest roster to start the season. The Browns dont really need youth on this team. They dont need more picks. 

I just see players who only have one years of tape will be greatly impacted by this. The guys who sat out the season to prepare might be hurt badly by that decision now

Yeah but they don't need to inherit and inflated contracts as well, I actually think if they can get good players on rookie contracts and be very specific in FA, I think this is their way of doing things #analytics 

As far as guys who sat out, that is awesome for us, just imagine getting a guy like Gregory Rousseau or Caleb Farley at pick #26 and/or Jaylen Twyman/Marvin Wilson at pick #59.

• Like 3

Couple things I vehemently disagree with.......on second thought I wont get into it, I dont want to have anyone feel like I called them out....... some of the suggested cuts in here make entirely no sense whatsoever......for instance, getting rid of David Njoku because of salary were top 10 in projected salary cap space.....and he will cost 6 million which will make him the 17th highest paid TE in the league.....just make the argument make sense.....that dose not make sense....a player who will not be paid in the top 15 at his position, being cut because of salary on a team with 10th most projected cap space in the league? That argument is fundamentally flawed. Or someone suggesting we Fire Joe Woods....who by definition wanted to run HIS D (big Nickle), which we couldn't from a personnel standpoint, he cooked up 4-3's and 5-2's and Man vs Zone concepts every week based on who was healthy and who we were playing......before we judge our DC, who broke in a DB/Secondary Coach, let him have his starting defense for ONE SINGLE GAME!!! SMH....which we did NOT, not ONCE this year.

I digress.....I think we should mostly skip the first round of Free Agency....I think our O is good.....were set at QB, RB, TE and two deep on the line (Alex Taylor (LT), Drew Forbs OG, Michael Dunn OG and Harris C) with prospects I'd love to see more of, especially with Callahan working with them. ON O, I am all for bringing back OBJ, we needed him for a game like KC...but with him and Landry, Higgins (resigned hopefully), DPJ and a surprising K. Hodge, I am not too interested in bringing in Free agent WR's.

I feel our Free Agency is all about ourselves. There is one Free agent I have my eye on, and that is S Malik Hooker from Indy......I think he signs a 1 to 2 year prove it deal, and coming to his college state where he played ball, to a team on the rise, that will play a D based heavily on the Safeties, I think is a attractive. This is the only outside guy I'd be looking at. ON our own Team on O, I would resign Higgins (3 year deal), keep OBJ and Njoku, sign Wyatt Teller (top 10 G money Floor is 9M ceiling is 15.5, see if he would take 9 or 10) and Lastly I would resign Nick Chubb to a 4 year deal making him 5th highest paid RB 12.5M. On D, I would resign BJ Goodson to a 2 year extension, I would also resign Terrance Mitchell to a 2 year deal (he was our most consistent CB all year and he made more plays than he missed), I would see if Larry O. would resign a 1 year Prove it deal. And that would be it, I would save Baker and Wards contracts for future years.

I have my first mock draft ready to rock and roll, but will post it at a later time. My Draft adds some developmental talent on Offense late in the draft, and Day1 and Day 2 completely devoted to Defense and getting Woods the personnel he needs to run the big Nickle defense he prefers to run.....my Current #1 pick and Crush is Jevon Holland S/CB from Oregon...perfect fit for the "Slot Safety" for Joe Woods big Nickle defense (I also think the top 3 DE's will be gone by 28, the kid from Miami, Kwitty Paye Mich and Boogie Basham WFU).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIESKnows of all people how critical I was of Njoku, he was soft, mentally weak, needed to switch to defense, everything. With how he blocked and was reliable at the second half of the year, we need to find a way to keep him. That second half Njoku was closer to the guy we drafted in the first round. 

Richardson needs at least a 2 year deal with an option, he was money well spent, and his leadership is supremely underrated. We can't go into the season with two holes at DT

I was very pleased with Njoku as well but with the cap being what it might be. A 3rd TE is going to be a huge, huge luxury. Hell Njoku was our 3rd best player who showed up vs KC besides Baker and Hunt(when he was used). Njoku showed a lot of growth this year but I Don’t know if we can afford to keep him.  

Richardson, it all depends on his contract. 

42 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:
15 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yeah but they don't need to inherit and inflated contracts as well, I actually think if they can get good players on rookie contracts and be very specific in FA, I think this is their way of doing things #analytics 

As far as guys who sat out, that is awesome for us, just imagine getting a guy like Gregory Rousseau or Caleb Farley at pick #26 and/or Jaylen Twyman/Marvin Wilson at pick #59.

I hope that Rousseau or Wilson fall. That would be a dream. Heck. I would trade up to the high 2nd if Wilson was still on the board. Heck he might be worth it to trade up at the back end of the 1st to get him on a 5th yr option contract 

21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I was very pleased with Njoku as well but with the cap being what it might be. A 3rd TE is going to be a huge, huge luxury. Hell Njoku was our 3rd best player who showed up vs KC besides Baker and Hunt(when he was used). Njoku showed a lot of growth this year but I Don’t know if we can afford to keep him.  

Richardson, it all depends on his contract. 

I hope that Rousseau or Wilson fall. That would be a dream. Heck. I would trade up to the high 2nd if Wilson was still on the board. Heck he might be worth it to trade up at the back end of the 1st to get him on a 5th yr option contract 

Part of my gripe about Njoku is because, I am NOT in a good place with Austin Hooper, I don't like him at all, to totally honest, he plays like how Njoku used to play, can't block to save his life and drops at least 2 passes a game.

As far as Rousseau and Wilson:

pittsburgh pirates GIF by MLB

I love those guys

I see Coach Stefanski can't wait for Baker to start season 2 of Stefanski's offense and for OBJ to be back. It seems so strange to be talking about year 2 of a Browns coach's offense. Although it's still only Day 3 of our offseason. Maybe I shouldn't count any chickens before they've hatched with Truckstop Jimmy at the helm. 😆

Rousseau was interviewed by one of thedraftnetwork guys a while back. He said he likes playing with the Browns in madden. Also he sat out this season because his mother is a nurse and he wanted to do all he could to help her out during the pandemic. Seemed like a good dude.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Part of my gripe about Njoku is because, I am NOT in a good place with Austin Hooper, I don't like him at all, to totally honest, he plays like how Njoku used to play, can't block to save his life and drops at least 2 passes a game.

Can’t block? Thought he did find just blocking and was our best blocking TE. Dude was tasked to block a lot of end man of the LOS and LB. He struggled when he got stuck blocking a DE on some passing plays but that was just poor scheming cause that should never Happen. Njoku was a better blocker this year by far compared to years past but he also had easier assignments. he wasn’t blocking better than hooper tho. 

When it came to drops, it wasn’t just Hooper. All out TEs had issues with catching this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Horseunit said:

Rousseau was interviewed by one of thedraftnetwork guys a while back. He said he likes playing with the Browns in madden. Also he sat out this season because his mother is a nurse and he wanted to do all he could to help her out during the pandemic. Seemed like a good dude.

Yup. Rousseau is my dream to fall to (or very close with a small trade-up) to our pick. I believe he would've hovered around top-10 had he played. He's one of the only ends coming out with All-Pro upside and I like to hear that he's a character guy.

26 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If you aren’t getting better then you are getting worse. Really important off-season taking this team forward.

It's a tough year to look at, as just getting back Greedy--just kidding--and Delpit is already getting better. I agree with some of the other posters who think we won't make any big signings, more value signings and some extensions. This could be the compensatory free agency period. We need to get better, but we also have big contracts coming up and a questionable cap.

invisiblol-crystal-ball-icanhascheezeurg

This off-season:

1. Sign Baker. If we don't, we're fools. QB money just keeps going up. Lock him up before we're paying him $50 mil per. His mixed bag should help with negotiations. I have a feeling he goes Super Saiyan next year and will be in the driver seat for negotiations then if we wait. He's not the type to stop grinding after he gets paid. Just tear that bandage off.

2. Unless we consider Hooper a total bust and plan on cutting/trading him cheap after 2021, we trade Njoku for a third or so, which seems possible. 17th highest paid TE in the league for TE3 and on the final year of his contract?...he gone. And we are going to need that cap space for Baker/Chubb/Teller/potentially Denzel.

3. We have to re-sign Chubb and we will. It will be a terrible look if we don't, both from fan perspective and in the locker room. His contract will be a tiny tick above Henry's and we'll all be alright with it. If our FO can make it work, we extend an extra year onto Kareem's contract; he's already earned it.

4. We extend Teller--$$$$. 

5. If Denzel is completely healthy and signs a team-friendly contract, we extend him now. Otherwise we float him through the 5th year contract.

6. Unless we sign a DE--unlikely--then our first rounder will almost certainly be DE, not LB. It's just not good analytics and we have a gaping hole at LE. That said, if Greedy is not in the long-term plans, it's gonna come down to DE & CB IMO.

7. Joe Woods isn't going anywhere.

8. OBJ isn't going anywhere. He could be traded during the season but doubtful.

9. Hollywood is here to stay...for probably two seasons.

10. Billings returns, we draft one DT, the FO sees what we have in year two of Elliot, as he was considered raw but talented, and that's really all there is to say about that.

11. Sendejo is actually not on our team anymore. He never was. There never was a Sendejo. 

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Folks be like, "not sure if we should give a top-10 contract to this guy Kakarot" 🤷‍♂️.

They'll learn.

He didn’t even have a tail, he wasn’t a real Saiyan 

Oh they will learn my friend 

• Like 1