Jump to content

2021 Offseason Discussion


Recommended Posts

I'm more interested in signing Carl Lawson or Romeo Okwara than most of these aging stars. 

Personally, if I signed Watt I'd want to cut his snaps in half, playing him primarily on passing downs, on the inside. 

Same with Von Miller, but on the outside.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

I'm more interested in signing Carl Lawson or Romeo Okwara than most of these aging stars. 

Personally, if I signed Watt I'd want to cut his snaps in half, playing him primarily on passing downs, on the inside. 

Same with Von Miller, but on the outside.

Why? Watt can be just as deadly stopping the run. Watt last year was the most doubled and tripled team edge rusher in the league. Garrett was top5 in that. Guess what, one of those have to give. 
 

watt is still too good to just limit him. He had more tackles and TFL than Garrett last year and I believe one less QB hit

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

I'm more interested in signing Carl Lawson or Romeo Okwara than most of these aging stars. 

Personally, if I signed Watt I'd want to cut his snaps in half, playing him primarily on passing downs, on the inside. 

Same with Von Miller, but on the outside.

Or go veteran on the front end, then go high upside draft pick who could develop into a starter later or even be good enough to contribute as a specialty player early. That goes for DT as well as DE

 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Why? Watt can be just as deadly stopping the run. Watt last year was the most doubled and tripled team edge rusher in the league. Garrett was top5 in that. Guess what, one of those have to give. 
 

watt is still too good to just limit him. He had more tackles and TFL than Garrett last year and I believe one less QB hit

I agree that he is good, but are we all going to turn a blind eye to the fact that his body has had tremendous wear and tear and is due for a hard decline soon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Thoughts on this hypothetical.

I think the Browns are in position to do it with where they are at on a rookie QB contract.

That seems like a fair price for Gilmore who is 31 years old next season. Not sure how many CBs have played extremely well past 31 years old unless you think he is Charles Woodson type of aging gracefully.

An added benefit would be that he would be great to push young guys like Ward, Delpit and Greedy to be their best (hopefully) and teach them a few things to maximize them.

Edited by AkronsWitness
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think the Browns are in position to do it with where they are at on a rookie QB contract.

That seems like a fair price for Gilmore who is 31 years old next season. Not sure how many CBs have played extremely well past 31 years old unless you think he is Charles Woodson type of aging gracefully.

An added benefit would be that he would be great to push young guys like Ward, Delpit and Greedy to be their best (hopefully) and teach them a few things to maximize them.

Yep it’s pretty much a 2-3 year move. Which just so happens to line up with our window. I’d do it but we can’t afford Gilmore plus watt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yep it’s pretty much a 2-3 year move. Which just so happens to line up with our window. I’d do it but we can’t afford Gilmore plus watt. 

Yup and I feel much better about finding a good #2/#3 CB in the draft or cheaper in FA I would much rather spend out 1 major move this offseason on DE. I really dont even care if its Watt, Miller, Barrett or Williams just give me one of those 4 and I will be happy

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Thoughts on this hypothetical.

Think I would rather use the 3rd on Larrimore.

He should not cost as much.

Watt and Larrimore would be a nice splash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yep it’s pretty much a 2-3 year move. Which just so happens to line up with our window. I’d do it but we can’t afford Gilmore plus watt. 

Well he is only signed through this year at 7.5 million. So it would likely be a 1 year move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yep it’s pretty much a 2-3 year move. Which just so happens to line up with our window. I’d do it but we can’t afford Gilmore plus watt. 

Just my preference, but I’d prefer more youth and athleticism in the trenches. The secondary is already going to be pretty young.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I agree that he is good, but are we all going to turn a blind eye to the fact that his body has had tremendous wear and tear and is due for a hard decline soon?

We can also say Watt will see a decrease in wear and tear because one he will be seeing a lot less double and triple teams. He also could see less snaps. Him and Garrett. Garrett and Watt could see more rest during the game because we know their will be at least one legit DE on the field. Could allow them to see more pitch counters in the 1st 2nd and 3rd QTR and unless them both in the 4th. 

Im just not going to handicap Watt into just being a3rd down specialist. 

11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm surprised there isn't any talk of Geno Atkins or Kawaan Short

Short has only played 5 games in 2 years. He is going to be 32 I believe. You wanna talk about a dude who ate up a lot of wear and tear

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...