2021 Offseason Discussion

Kiwibrown

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed, I wouldn’t spend big money at S.  I do think a mid rounder who can back up both positions would be great.

Corner is fair game.  I’d bring back Mitchell at the right price as he’s played well above what he should be asked to do, and obv Ward is a stud, but the rest are just question marks or turds.

I’m good on letting Mitchell walk. He wasn’t special. Unless he came back real cheap. That secondary needs a full rehaul. We should never start mj Stewart or Robert jackson in a playoff game. You need 4-5 quality starters in the secondary now. Barry failed there. Gotta get quality. 

46 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Mitchell is a solid slot CB. He was thrust into an outside guy because Mr. Glass couldn’t play this year, and without Ward even our #1 guy. He’s a great slot/#3 guy.

I disagree. He’s not quick enough to play in the slot. His best games with us have been when he was the number 2 corner on the outside opposite ward. 

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m good on letting Mitchell walk. He wasn’t special. Unless he came back real cheap. That secondary needs a full rehaul. We should never start mj Stewart or Robert jackson in a playoff game. You need 4-5 quality starters in the secondary now. Barry failed there. Gotta get quality. 

Mitchell should be a 4th or 5th corner and paid accordingly.

I think we need to draft at least 2.

I do appreciate his veteran presence and ability to play all 16.

For starters I'd just like to get our players back; Williams, Delpit, Natson, OBJ and that Ivy tackle who sat out, showed promise I think.

Then in the draft get a burner WR.  The biggest reason we lose is because we don't stretch defenses.  Teams play us tight and get away with it because they don't fear the long pass.

After that I agree  - DEFENSE!

28 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I disagree. He’s not quick enough to play in the slot. His best games with us have been when he was the number 2 corner on the outside opposite ward. 

Agree to disagree. I think he’s capable in that role, especially vs TE. 

I think the biggest priority this off-season for Berry Will be overhauling the D-line. Larry O needs to be replaced with a true NT that can hold up at the POA against double teams. Also expect them to add a veteran pass rusher like JJ Watt or Von Miller and also draft a high upside guy early.

• Like 2

Offseason Priorities:

1. Decide if Woods is the DC going forward - While a lot of our defensive issues were talent based, the scheme was lacking at times (and that's putting it nicely). I'm assuming they will roll it back with Woods for the sake of organizational continuity, but they should at least have a conversation about it.

2. Fix the Defensive Personnel Issues - We need 1-2 more STUDS as well as 5-6 more quality depth guys. We need...
a. CB2 (I am assuming Greedy's nerve issues derail his career. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'll be pessimistic for now.)
b. LDE (This could be Vernon on a restructured deal, but with his injury and age, I doubt it.)
c. LB (We need more than one. Takitaki/Wilson/Goodson/Smith should all be backups/rotation players. Phillips MIGHT be a long term starter. We need a full position group remake. Probably 2 FAs AND A draft pick.)
d. DT (I am guessing Richardson isn't back due to contract cost. Ogunjobi, who knows? Elliot should progress year two, Vincent Taylor probably earned himself a depth spot, and Andrew Billings will be back from injury. So we need a started opposite Elliot and maybe a depth guy)
e. General Depth (Safety is looking better than I expected with Delpit and Harrison at least as long term guys. Joseph might or might not be back. Redwine is cheap depth. Need 1-2 more. CB depth is a MESS right now. I have no idea who comes back outside of Ward and M.J. Stewart as depth.)

3. Maintain Offensive Continuity - Don't lose any key offensive coaches if possible (I bet AVP gets a HC job, but not until NEXT year.) Keep the system the same for the first time in years and years. Figure out the OBJ situation. I think seeing how the offense in general grew throughout the year, I'm willing to bring him back for one more and see what happens. But I'm listening to offers. Other than that, resign whoever can be resigned at a reasonable rate (I think Njoku and Higgins will both be affordable). Fill in for any depth guys who go elsewhere for starter money.

29 minutes ago, FGK said:

3. Maintain Offensive Continuity - Don't lose any key offensive coaches if possible (I bet AVP gets a HC job, but not until NEXT year.) Keep the system the same for the first time in years and years. Figure out the OBJ situation. I think seeing how the offense in general grew throughout the year, I'm willing to bring him back for one more and see what happens. But I'm listening to offers. Other than that, resign whoever can be resigned at a reasonable rate (I think Njoku and Higgins will both be affordable). Fill in for any depth guys who go elsewhere for starter money.

This year showed how fragile our so-called NFL best OL is.

Except for the last PIT game, for whatever reason, we took a big step down when one or more of the starters were out or not 100%.

Build on strength while filling holes.

Teams with stability at HC, QB, and GM go through cycles. They will have a 5-7 year stretch where 1 side of the ball is dominant and the other is just “okay.” Then to compensate, teams will heavily invest draft capital to try and improve the weaker part of their team. Just some recent examples: New England (constantly goes through cycles), Seattle, Denver, Pittsburgh, and etc.

The offense will be the strength for 3-4 years. Then, while allocating resources to the defense, you will see a subtle shift.

S Elijah Benton (Liberty)

WR Ja'Marcus Bradley (Louisiana-Lafayette)

TE  Jordan Franks (Central Florida)

CB A.J. Green (Oklahoma State)

G Cordel Iwuagwu (Texas Christian)

QB Kyle Lauletta (Richmond)

DE Cameron Malveaux (Houston)

TE Kyle Markway (South Carolina)

K Matt McCrane (Kansas State)

LB Montrel Meander (Grambling State)

C Javon Patterson (Mississippi)

FB Johnny Stanton (UNLV)

T Alex Taylor (South Carolina State)

WR Derrick Willies (Texas Tech)

The guys we signed to the reserve/futures list.