2021 Offseason Discussion

Kiwibrown

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not to mention about 2 "average starting" NFL caliber defenders

Definitely a #2 corner who would be capable of being a #1 in a pinch 

Free agent/draft pick DT for Ogunjobi (upgrade)

I smell rookie, I don't know if they would invest much in a FA DT if they are already squeamish about Richardson's contract. Or made a trade for someone we can build on long term

Rookie draft pick for Wilson/Takitaki (major upgrade)

What about Jacob Phillips?  At what point do we see what he has? Also, we are so quick to run these guys out of town, but do any of these guys have the ability to grow and make a big jump?  Taki made a big jump from his rookie year? who's to say any of those other guys couldn't make a jump?

I don't think Berry is going to just punt these guys out of here 

...and at this point, you really only have 1-2 areas that are a "problem" in terms of being below average. Depth could still potentially be an issue, but Takitaki is a fine plug and play player in a pinch, and our DT room should at least have depth.

I think this is probably the most important aspect of our defense, if we properly upgrade our defense, we can use the draft (3rd and lower) to stock our defense with high upside guys who have a legit shot at becoming a starter at some point or would be good enough for other teams to trade for.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

Excellent point if Phillips has a jump like tiki this is a average linebackers

Group.

Let me remind people that there was

Not a lot of his supporters on this board for tiki.As a matter of fact I would go so far to say 90 percent of this board wanted him released.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Definitely a #2 corner who would be capable of being a #1 in a pinch 

If nothing else, we need a 3rd guy for an insurance policy and slot production, whether that's a hybrid LB/S or a hybrid slot CB/push FS.

I smell rookie, I don't know if they would invest much in a FA DT if they are already squeamish about Richardson's contract. Or made a trade for someone we can build on long term

Probably true. We should also be getting Billings, and assuming we keep Richardson, we will have the 2nd year kid from Missouri, Billings, and Richardson. A rookie would make sense, and you'd have him sliding into a starting role year 2 and a starter next year, unless he's clearly the #1 guy as a rookie.

What about Jacob Phillips?  At what point do we see what he has? Also, we are so quick to run these guys out of town, but do any of these guys have the ability to grow and make a big jump?  Taki made a big jump from his rookie year? who's to say any of those other guys couldn't make a jump? I don't think Berry is going to just punt these guys out of here 

Phillips was a "given" in my mind as that 3rd guy coming in and starting. I'd rather have a solid rookie or free agent as a starter/every down LB (3 down guy) to go with Phillips as a 2 down guy, and Takitaki still coming in situationally, as he's really good in coverage and decent as an outside/EDGE hybrid. I still think we need one more, because Mack Wilson ain't it. We need at least 4 viable players, one of which needs to be a 3 down guy.

Phillips/Goodson: 2 down players

Takitaki: Nickel LB, coverage, Edge hybrid, valuable rotational player

Rookie/high priced FA: 3 down starter

Mack Wilson: Goodbye/bench

I think this is probably the most important aspect of our defense, if we properly upgrade our defense, we can use the draft (3rd and lower) to stock our defense with high upside guys who have a legit shot at becoming a starter at some point or would be good enough for other teams to trade for.

In theory, we should now be approaching the point of where we don't need these guys to be immediate impact starters, but the "reloaders" like Baltimore and Pittsburgh has had for years. Right about the time they are going to lose a starter to free agency, their next 3rd round rush/LB steps in and picks up where the other guy left off. They then acquire a compensation pick for said starter, which they use on the same position, to take over for the other guy who replaced said starter. :) 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

So you want to try to win the Super Bowl with Donovan peoples jones 

And Higgins I hope you join .y fantasy league

And a dynamic 1st round pick WR that can easily fill one of the starting WR spots at a fraction of the cost.

We are going to get rid of both Odell and Jarvis within the next year. It's happening this off-season or next.

I personally hope that they keep them both for another year, but this WR class is loaded. I might consider making a move this year just because of the talent available.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

And a dynamic 1st round pick WR that can easily fill one of the starting WR spots at a fraction of the cost.

We are going to get rid of both Odell and Jarvis within the next year. It's happening this off-season or next.

I personally hope that they keep them both for another year, but this WR class is loaded. I might consider making a move this year just because of the talent available.

So yes

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

So yes

You realize there is a salary cap, right? We can’t keep everyone and improve our unacceptable defense. I’d rather dump salary at WR (not very important position) and put it into our DL and secondary.

If you want to try to win a Super Bowl with Porter Gustin rushing the passer and MJ Stewart in coverage, have fun. 

5 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

You realize there is a salary cap, right? We can’t keep everyone and improve our unacceptable defense. I’d rather dump salary at WR (not very important position) and put it into our DL and secondary.

If you want to try to win a Super Bowl with Porter Gustin rushing the passer and MJ Stewart in coverage, have fun. 

Ok

I will trade 2 number 1s plus 2 number 2 get Rousseau 

Then trade my extra 3and 4th

To draft my safety.

Then sign Mayfield, Chubb, Higgins ,

And Teller 

Then I will play your team for the next 5 years with my cast. 

3 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Ok

I will trade 2 number 1s plus 2 number 2 get Rousseau 

Then trade my extra 3and 4th

To draft my safety.

Then sign Mayfield, Chubb, Higgins ,

And Teller 

Then I will play your team for the next 5 years with my cast. 

You should trade every asset you have to get an interpreter. Jk, luv u!

Yeah, my ideal scenario is to trade up and get Rousseau. He is literally a slam dunk selection for us, if we can swing it. The more I watch his tape though, the more convinced I am he doesn’t make it outside of the top 10. If he slides past Minnesota at 14, I’m doing whatever it takes to leapfrog the bevy of teams in front of us that need pass rushers (IND, TEN, NYJ, PIT).

3 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

You should trade every asset you have to get an interpreter. Jk, luv u!

Yeah, my ideal scenario is to trade up and get Rousseau. He is literally a slam dunk selection for us, if we can swing it. The more I watch his tape though, the more convinced I am he doesn’t make it outside of the top 10. If he slides past Minnesota at 14, I’m doing whatever it takes to leapfrog the bevy of teams in front of us that need pass rushers (IND, TEN, NYJ, PIT).

I notice you did not answer the question 

What part of sign Mayfield  Chubb, 

Teller and Higgins do you not understand ? Then draft Rousseau 

Did you get thru the 1st grade

Thank you have a nice day I hope you understand that.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

I notice you did not answer the question 

What part of sign Mayfield  Chubb, 

Teller and Higgins do you not understand ? Then draft Rousseau 

Did you get thru the 1st grade

Thank you have a nice day I hope you understand that.

Probably the jibberish part.

And the part where, according to your mock, we start....MJ Stewart at cornerback? Or Tavierre Thomas?

15 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

He carries no dead cap hit with a trade no matter when it is. His only cap hit would be his injury guaranteed salary. (that is only if he is cut, if traded his salary goes with him)

Thanks for the clarification must have miss read the contract stuff.

Even with that. I don’t see a team willing to take on OBJ and his contract, coming off an ACL.  Browns aren’t that desperate to create cap space  

• Like 1