2021 Offseason Discussion

Kiwibrown

3 hours ago, FGK said:

Honestly? This is the modern NFL. I'd rather be 1st against the pass and 32nd against the run than 12th against the pass and top 5 against the run. Passing defense is like 80% of your value on defense now.

Give me average at both over last in rushing defense. The past decade of horrible run D has made me bitter lol. 

Edited by pscottdai
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

Give me average at both over last in rushing defense. The past decade of horrible run D has made me bitter lol. 

By this year's numbers:

1st against the pass - 3K total yards, 17TD/14INT (Rams)
32nd against the run - 2.5K yards, 25 TD

16th against the pass - 3.7K yards, 27TD/8INT
16th against the run - 1.8K yards, 17TD

Way closer than I expected. Yardage is even, TDs close enough to not worry about the difference, more turnovers for the top team. I'd still pick the top one. Because if we get up fast (I think our offense is gonna be top tier next year) then you can absolutely murder teams. We saw against Tennessee that no lead is totally safe if you stink against the pass.

Best way of defending the run is having a consistent, explosive offence.

Our defence just needs to force turnovers, which an explosive offence makes more likely.

I'd prioritize coverage over pass rush for our team. Especially due to already having Myles. Obviously we still need help on the DL, but it shouldn't take a lot of investment to get solid players around Garrett. The issue is the best Woods looked was when he had a dominant DL.

Edited by Don Roshi
  • Like 1

TBH, if we want to make "that next step", then we need to bolster our pass rush and defensive backfield. We've built and invested into a heavily explosive offense, so we should do what the Colts and some others did, which is to count on being ahead regularly and worry about the pass rush and defensive backs as our first priority, hoping to make the run game irrelevant against us in the 2nd half.

That means athletic LB and about 3 pass rushers who can regularly get after it, with needing to count on 5 guys as "starting caliber" defensive backs.

Will post my entire offseason in another Post, but here is my Preliminary Mock (I will adjust it after the Sr. Bowl this weekend), This draft is done with Joe Woods in mind..he wants to run the Big Nickel....lets get the man the pieces.

1rst Jevon Holland, S, Oregon
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200

2nd Rashad Weaver, DE, Pittsburgh
Height: 6-5. Weight: 270

3rd Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State
Height: 5-10. Weight: 184

3rd Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse
Height: 6-0. Weight: 203

4th Elijah Molden, CB, Washington
Height: 5-10. Weight: 190

4th Paddy Fisher, ILB, Northwestern
Height: 6-4. Weight: 244

5th Tedarrell Slaton, DT, Florida
Height: 6-5. Weight: 343

6th Elerson Smith, DE/DPR, Northern Iowa
Height: 6-7. Weight: 245

7th Mike Strachan, WR, Charleston Wv
Height: 6-5. Weight: 225

Priority UDFA (Everyone always gets one): Ja-Maine Martin, RB, North Carolina A&T
                                                                        Height: 5-10. Weight: 214

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Will post my entire offseason in another Post, but here is my Preliminary Mock (I will adjust it after the Sr. Bowl this weekend), This draft is done with Joe Woods in mind..he wants to run the Big Nickel....lets get the man the pieces.

1rst Jevon Holland, S, Oregon
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200

2nd Rashad Weaver, DE, Pittsburgh
Height: 6-5. Weight: 270

3rd Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State
Height: 5-10. Weight: 184

3rd Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse
Height: 6-0. Weight: 203

4th Elijah Molden, CB, Washington
Height: 5-10. Weight: 190

4th Paddy Fisher, ILB, Northwestern
Height: 6-4. Weight: 244

5th Tedarrell Slaton, DT, Florida
Height: 6-5. Weight: 343

6th Elerson Smith, DE/DPR, Northern Iowa
Height: 6-7. Weight: 245

7th Mike Strachan, WR, Charleston Wv
Height: 6-5. Weight: 225

Priority UDFA (Everyone always gets one): Ja-Maine Martin, RB, North Carolina A&T
                                                                        Height: 5-10. Weight: 214

I like the selections but think the order is a bit out of wack.  I think Asante Samuel Jr. goes at the end of round 1. Everything I have seen says he plays a similar style to Denzel Ward. Elijah Molden while also smaller goes round 2, he just has superb instincts for a nickel corner.  I would be perfectly fine if the FO decided on these selections. I think Andrew Berry recently said you can never have enough DB's.  Makes me think we will target that position early in the draft. Holland probably goes round 2 and Weaver and Cisco round 3.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...