2021 Offseason Discussion

Kiwibrown

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

If he is willing to sign for the vet min. Maybe. Dude still has one more good contract. Browns have everything he wants. Just how bad so the browns want him. 

They can make enough room for him to be paid an ok contract if Ben restructures (which he said he will), Pouncey retiring and letting some guys walk in FA. I mean, it's possible he signs here for decent money but we won't give him the mega bucks, either.

12 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

They can make enough room for him to be paid an ok contract if Ben restructures (which he said he will), Pouncey retiring and letting some guys walk in FA. I mean, it's possible he signs here for decent money but we won't give him the mega bucks, either.

He isn’t worth mega bucks. So that doesn’t matter. The Steelers are going to need to do a lot of things to create enough cap space for Him. After the Pouncy retiring, they are still over by close to $15m. So they would need to at least create $25m to give him a $10m deal. They also need to fill other holes and have enough money to sign their draft picks. Even after that their secondary would still be hurting 

The whole market is going to be depressed with the lower salary cap and so many teams at or near cap. 

There is no imperative to sign our guys. I think we can get higgins for 2 million per year. 

Guys like Joesph, goodson, could be on less than last year and smith remains on the vet minimum 

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

The whole market is going to be depressed with the lower salary cap and so many teams at or near cap. 

There is no imperative to sign our guys. I think we can get higgins for 2 million per year. 

Guys like Joesph, goodson, could be on less than last year and smith remains on the vet minimum 

Higgins is going to get more than $2m a year. He deserves that. If he was a day 1 starter and there isn’t those crazy weather games with LV, Philly, and Houston, Higgins could have paced for 1100+ yards and 8+ TDs. Joseph prolly should be moved on from and Goodson should be resigned to a 2-3yr deal for around $2-2.5m a year. Smith should be moved on from as well because other LBs should be brought in or drafted. 

50 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Anyone heard any talk about scaling back tag amounts?

Why should it? Yeah the salary cap is weird but it’s a % move, so if you tag someone, you know exactly what your getting into. No way the players are going to agree to that tho. for years the players have hated the tag but the one year it might hurt the owners, they won’t agree to a change. 

For once, being tagged would be a good thing if you want max money but if you don’t want to be tagged this would be a good year for it, somewhat, because owners will only use a tag this year as a last resort I believe 

Edited by buno67

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Why should it?

Because the salaries in the slots reflect better economic times and forecasts for the NFL and are inflated relative to the current economic situation.

Pretty sure no one saw the cap coming down.

Scaling back would be the right thing to do, but I agree that the union/agents/players will want no part of it.

The flip side, though, is that the players who otherwise would be tagged will not be able to parlay that into higher compensation because the markets will not be there for them at the levels of compensation owners will be willing to offer.

Going to be interesting times.

22 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Scaling back would be the right thing to do, but I agree that the union/agents/players will want no part of it.

I hope the owners come to the players asking them to lower it and they just stick it to them and tell them to shove it. Scaling back is only the right thing in the eyes of the owners

24 minutes ago, bruceb said:

The flip side, though, is that the players who otherwise would be tagged will not be able to parlay that into higher compensation because the markets will not be there for them at the levels of compensation owners will be willing to offer.

Prolly will just see more 1-2 year deals from Bigger FAs. Guys will just want to get a deal to last them until the cap potentially recovers. Potentially could work out in favor of the browns. If the cap doesn’t bounce back. Browns might be able to extend Conklin. Before it seemed like he would price him out after the ‘22 season. 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Higgins is going to get more than $2m a year. He deserves that. If he was a day 1 starter and there isn’t those crazy weather games with LV, Philly, and Houston, Higgins could have paced for 1100+ yards and 8+ TDs. Joseph prolly should be moved on from and Goodson should be resigned to a 2-3yr deal for around $2-2.5m a year. Smith should be moved on from as well because other LBs should be brought in or drafted. 

We will see if he will. He was held out pretty good in the playoffs and has a massive fumbling issue.