RamPackFan 2021 Mock Draft 1.0

RamPackFan

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not going to get into the discussion about using our first pick on a QB, but I can say I’ve seen enough of Kyle Trask, and without one of the best TE prospects we’ve seen since like Vernon Davis, he’s garbage.

That might be alittle harsh, but he is an average SEC/College QB, no thanks. 

You can't very well be serious right now. Trask played three SEC games without Pitts. In those three games (Arkansas, Vandy, and LSU), his combined numbers were:

78/111

70.3%

1213 passing yards

10.9 YPA

11 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs

2 Ints

131.7 Passer Rating (NFL)

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m very serious. Go see what all the other average QBs did against those awful defenses. 

Trask owes anything he has to Dan Mullen and Kyle Pitts. He’s an average SEC QB, not NFL caliber

Okay. We'll take Arkansas:

Kyle Trask - 23/29 356 yards 12.3 YPA 6 TDs 0 Ints

Mac Jones - 24/29 208 yards 7.2 YPA 0 TDs 0 Ints

Connor Bazelak - 32/49 380 yards 7.8 YPA 0 TDs 0 Ints

T.J Finley - 27/42 271 yards 6.5 YPA 2 TDs 0 Ints

Tennessee's 3 QBs - 11/21 107 yards 5.1 YPA 0 TDs 2 Ints

Kellen Mond - 21/26 260 yards 10.0 YPA 3 TDs 0 Ints

Matt Corral - 20/38 200 yards 5.3 YPA 2 TDs 6 Ints

Bo Nix - 17/28 187 yards 6.7 YPA 1 TD 0 Ints

K.J. Costello - 43/59 313 yards 5.3 YPA 1 TD 3 Ints

UGA's 2 QBs - 28/47 266 yards 5.7 YPA 2 TDs 1 Int

So much for that silly opinion. And the alleged "average SEC QB" led the entire nation in passing TDs. If Trask is an "average SEC QB," Patrick Mahomes must be an "average AFCW QB."

You sound like the Goff haters. Trask was the guy out there reading the defenses and making the throws. Mullen runs a great scheme, but it's also a scheme built around pro style concepts. Trask absolutely dominated using those concepts because of how stellar he is at identifying the coverage pre-snap and knowing which matchup to attack. Pitts is a superstar TE, but I already demonstrated that he was still quite dominant in the three SEC games that Pitts missed while injured.

And the incredible thing is that Trask absolutely lit teams up while having no consistent running game and a right side of the OL that was very leaky in pass protection. Yes, Pitts is incredible. Yes, Toney is a major threat. Yes, he had weapons. Yes, Mullen is a great offensive mind. But that doesn't make Trask any less of a player. Trevor Lawrence isn't any less of a great QB prospect because of the talent on Clemson. Same with Justin Fields and Ohio State. Trask isn't the prospect that either of those guys are because his physical talent is mediocre. But his mental acuity, intangibles, and skills are all great.

The fact is that Florida is the only team to stay within a single score of Alabama this year. And Florida didn't do it on the backs of its god awful defense. It didn't do it on the backs of its poor rushing attack. It relied on Kyle Trask and the passing game to keep pace with Alabama, and Trask did. Go watch that game. If you've already watched it, watch it again. See how many NFL throws Trask makes in that game. There were a lot of them. Alabama wasn't giving him easy throws. The dude (and the receivers) simply delivered. (And Trask also straight up roasted Georgia's elite defense.)

Here is a play that demonstrates exactly why he's a NFL QB (starts at 2:57):

Starts left, reads the entire field and each progression, climbs the pocket to buy time when his garbage RT gets beat, and then delivers an accurate ball to his check-down option.

Edited by jrry32

If the Rams draft a QB in the 2nd round Im throwing my hands up. Its just overreaction. Its worst than the rumors of the Saints wanting to trade up for Mahomes a few years ago. While that wouldnt have been the end of the world by the Saints not drafting Mahomes they was able to improve their roster by having one of the best draft classes that Ive ever seen by a single team (Lattimore, Ramczyk, Williams, Kamara, Anzalone, Hendrickson). So like all those guys hit. Had the Saints got Mahomes he wouldve been sitting behind Brees for four seasons, the Saints defense wouldve still been bad and the OL wouldnt be as elite like it is. Like you have to remember prior to 2017 the Saints went 4 out of the previous 5 seasons (7-9) including three straight seasons of (7-9) entering that 2017 draft. So yeah drafting a QB in the 2nd round is a clear overreaction and I would look at the Rams organization sideways because the OL need to get stronger and the inside linebacker need to get stronger. Give Goff a legit deep threat. I wouldnt mind if the Rams drafted Rondale Moore from Purdue. Guy good extreme speed. He could play special teams, be a deep threat, and be killer on jet sweeps and screens. So I dont bash Rams mock draft on this forum but Im giving this mock an F++++++ because of a QB in the 2nd round because of overreaction to Goff play has dipped even though the Rams are still winning 10 games and making the playoffs and even winning in the playoffs. Yeah no. Again fix the OL, fix the ILB, and give Goff a legit deep threat and he will be fine and the team will be fine. Now I dont mind drafting a QB later in the draft. If the Rams can trade down in the 2nd or 3rd round to get extra picks and then use one of those picks to take a QB I wouldnt mind. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

No safety in round 2. Even though we likely lose JJIII, we are getting back Rapp and Burgess. Rams typically draft one year ahead of need. So Burgess was planned with JJIII departure in mind.

We need ILB, QB, Deep Threat WR, and LT depending on Whit. I'd like to see a season of Whit, Evans, Corbett, Edwards, Havenstein before I draft high on IOL again. We had a middle of the road offensive line this year with some lapses and some great games. Not worth the knee jerk early investment coming off a bad game vs. GB. 

I'd love to see us go for Clowney next FA. He needs a payday and we have a track record of pumping pass rushers numbers behind Donald. 

Fair enough. However, I don't think Rapp and Burgess are good enough to fill that need, imo. Especially Rapp. I'd love to get  an Andre Cisco or Trevon Moehrig to replace Johnson. I think having a great physical tackler who's also good coverage would help keep our defense elite. Burgess showed flashes but he's also coming off a bad ankle injury. 

I also don't see us drafting an O lineman high..just doesn't seem to fit our draft style in the past few years. I can see edge rusher, linebacker, safety and wide receiver going as priority. They're good at finding good blockers in 4-6 rounds. 

Edited by RamPackFan

11 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

If the Rams draft a QB in the 2nd round Im throwing my hands up. Its just overreaction. Its worst than the rumors of the Saints wanting to trade up for Mahomes a few years ago. While that wouldnt have been the end of the world by the Saints not drafting Mahomes they was able to improve their roster by having one of the best draft classes that Ive ever seen by a single team (Lattimore, Ramczyk, Williams, Kamara, Anzalone, Hendrickson). So like all those guys hit. Had the Saints got Mahomes he wouldve been sitting behind Brees for four seasons, the Saints defense wouldve still been bad and the OL wouldnt be as elite like it is. Like you have to remember prior to 2017 the Saints went 4 out of the previous 5 seasons (7-9) including three straight seasons of (7-9) entering that 2017 draft. So yeah drafting a QB in the 2nd round is a clear overreaction and I would look at the Rams organization sideways because the OL need to get stronger and the inside linebacker need to get stronger. Give Goff a legit deep threat. I wouldnt mind if the Rams drafted Rondale Moore from Purdue. Guy good extreme speed. He could play special teams, be a deep threat, and be killer on jet sweeps and screens. So I dont bash Rams mock draft on this forum but Im giving this mock an F++++++ because of a QB in the 2nd round because of overreaction to Goff play has dipped even though the Rams are still winning 10 games and making the playoffs and even winning in the playoffs. Yeah no. Again fix the OL, fix the ILB, and give Goff a legit deep threat and he will be fine and the team will be fine. Now I dont mind drafting a QB later in the draft. If the Rams can trade down in the 2nd or 3rd round to get extra picks and then use one of those picks to take a QB I wouldnt mind. 

Packers drafted Jordan Love (who's absolute dog trash compared to Trask) last year in first. Rodgers MVP this year. Packers most likely will be in the SB. So, not always such a bad idea or overreaction as you would say 

1 hour ago, RamPackFan said:

Packers drafted Jordan Love (who's absolute dog trash compared to Trask) last year in first. Rodgers MVP this year. Packers most likely will be in the SB. So, not always such a bad idea or overreaction as you would say 

I think it was a poor decision for the Packers to draft Love. It was unwarranted. It was definitely an overreaction because of how the Packers ended the season last year by getting thumped by the Niners. The organization probably was thinking ARod wasnt going to have what he is doing this season in him. Just because they are more than likely going to be in the Superbowl doesnt mean it was a great decision to draft Love. Just remember too the Bucs smashed the Packers in the regular season. If they smash them again, maybe not in a similar fashion but still in a good fashion, Ill continue to say the Packers couldve used that 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and/or 3rd round picks on fixing their run defense and just overall getting physical up front. 

So Im not saying if Trask is bad or not, Im just saying Goff is fine continue to draft to get him help. Goff thrived when he had a good OL and a legit deep threat a WR. They lose Saffold the OL took a step back. They lose Cooks and Goff deep ball has never been the same. 

4 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I think it was a poor decision for the Packers to draft Love. It was unwarranted. It was definitely an overreaction because of how the Packers ended the season last year by getting thumped by the Niners. The organization probably was thinking ARod wasnt going to have what he is doing this season in him. Just because they are more than likely going to be in the Superbowl doesnt mean it was a great decision to draft Love. Just remember too the Bucs smashed the Packers in the regular season. If they smash them again, maybe not in a similar fashion but still in a good fashion, Ill continue to say the Packers couldve used that 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and/or 3rd round picks on fixing their run defense and just overall getting physical up front. 

So Im not saying if Trask is bad or not, Im just saying Goff is fine continue to draft to get him help. Goff thrived when he had a good OL and a legit deep threat a WR. They lose Saffold the OL took a step back. They lose Cooks and Goff deep ball has never been the same. 

Looks like it worked. Rodgers had a fire under his a$$ that led to the best year of his career, an eventual MVP, and possibly a Superbowl ring. If drafting a QB early does this to Goff, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Looks like it worked. Rodgers had a fire under his a$$ that led to the best year of his career, an eventual MVP, and possibly a Superbowl ring. If drafting a QB early does this to Goff, I'm all for it.

I get your thinking but I dont think the drafting of Love lit a fire under ARod. It was the 2nd year in LaFleur system. He got comfortable and so did the players so they can execute and play free and fast without thinking. Plus if the narrative is a future HOF'er and vet ARod needed the drafting of Love to light a fire under him I would totally look at ARod differently. 

I feel like the only way you draft a QB high in the draft is if you plan on moving from Goff or Goff is injury prone you cant rely on him week in and week out. We know the second isnt the case so if the Rams do draft a QB high then it shows they plan on moving on from Goff as soon as they can.  Its not going to be because they want to light a fire under him. He isnt the type of person that you have to do that too imo.

14 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I get your thinking but I dont think the drafting of Love lit a fire under ARod. It was the 2nd year in LaFleur system. He got comfortable and so did the players so they can execute and play free and fast without thinking. Plus if the narrative is a future HOF'er and vet ARod needed the drafting of Love to light a fire under him I would totally look at ARod differently. 

I feel like the only way you draft a QB high in the draft is if you plan on moving from Goff or Goff is injury prone you cant rely on him week in and week out. We know the second isnt the case so if the Rams do draft a QB high then it shows they plan on moving on from Goff as soon as they can.  Its not going to be because they want to light a fire under him. He isnt the type of person that you have to do that too imo.

Honestly, I'm as big of a Goff detractor as there is on this board and I would say Wolford getting the nod vs Seattle def did something to him in a positive way. He played mistake free in that game, but nothing overly exciting in the stat sheet. But vs GB I was pleasantly surprised; he was really slinging it. I think seeing McVay losing a little faith did that to him. I'm on board with a QB in the 2nd round if it is the right one; not taking one for the sake of taking one. 

• Like 1