What is wrong with Bears and how do you Fix it?

dll2000

Open thread on everything. 

I was going to write a giant article on it, but I am super busy at work and that would take me hours.   Instead I will let you guys group think it.   

What is their problem?  Why are they a bottom third tier org.?

How would you fix it? 

It's not one thing.   

A huge problem I have with Nagy and consequently Pace for one example is he is he super detail oriented on some things, like don't start a fight with this guy who is going to bait you, stay out of trouble, here are covid rules we need to follow to keep season on track, here is what you do on road, etc.   

BUT for 4 years now 7 different TEs have been unable to execute the base wham block on inside zone and it blows up the play a huge percentage of time.    THAT is type of detail you should be MORE focused on.   

It is your base play!   Fix it!  Practice it different!   Practice it at all.   Something.  What you are doing isn't working.  Do something different.  We just need a different TE to do it.  Okay maybe that is true when one guy can't do it.  Not 7.   Not 10.  However many have tried it.   No you aren't Fing teaching it right.   You want it just to happen.   Things don't just happen.

Adults can make walk thrus and 75% scrimmages look really good.   It's all different at full speed.  You have to work technique and fundamentals even as a pro.   If you want a team that is good at Peanut punch for example it doesn't just happen.   Maybe one guy can naturally do it in a 100.   You have to practice it and you have to practice it sometimes at 100% go.   A pro fighter will still practice his jab even though he has done it 50k times.   

If I was GM for Bears after 4 games of watching TEs miss wham blocks set to Benny Hill music I would have Nagy in my office saying what the F?   Fix it or bury it.  But it's been happening for 4 years.  4 years!  Why does Nagy notice it?  Why doesn't Pace?  Why isn't O line coach and TE coach saying what the F?  Lets work on this in practice!   Get guys that aren't yes men around you.   Probably another problem. 

If I had guy like Fangio or Pagano on staff with that many years experience I would be like critique me.   Don't be silent and just do your thing.  Speak up when you think I am on wrong track.  Convince me of your position and why I am wrong.   Help make me better.   Why is this or that not working?  I am sure as heck going to criticize them as HC if they are doing something I don't like and ask them to explain to me their thinking.             

Its a problem I have with both Nagy and Pace.  Develop your players.  Develop your young guys.   Its like we need to find guys that were coached great in college and hope they remember everything while they are here because we ain't going to make them better.

• Like 1

Another huge problem I have is accountability.

If a player doesn't know his assignments he should be benched.

If a player starts a fight when you told him specifically not to start a fight he should be cut.

If a player sucks for multiple games he should be benched no matter his contract or his name.   Even if you have no one better.  Send a message and then put him back in.  Get better.    Long should have been benched long before he was back when.   Leno should have been benched multiple times this season for embarrassing performances.   And on and on.

I 100% agree with benching Mitch against Atlanta.   Atlanta was worst defense in history of league at that time and Mitch couldn't move ball.   Just don't keep him benched if Foles also sucks.   Send your message.   You don't do it with young QBs you are developing of course, but we were past that with both Mitch and Foles.   Play good or at least competently or get off the field.   MT deserved to be benched and Foles deserved to be benched in turn.     

You think players on Belichick's teams are pulling crap like Bears players do?  They do and they are gone.   He benched his best CB in Super Bowl and lost for whatever his reason.  Whatever we heard isn't real story.   But point isn't that scenario or reasons, but rather he did it.   He sends his message.    My way or highway and I don't care if we lose biggest game of year. 

That is one part of how you build a program.  And programs are what works in football at every level from youth to HS to college and even Pros.   

Anyone can win a single season with a team stacked with best talent, but it is almost always lightening in bottle like '85 Bears and it happens once in a blue moon.  

Programs win a lot with all different people in many different years.  Not all time because its hard, but a lot.

Agreed on accountability being the number one thing that needs to be fixed in this organization and not just with the players...this starts at the very top with ownership down to the CEO, front office, coaching staff and down to the players.

Right now there is a clear lack of this and until the McCaskeys demand more and not accept just accept mediocrity as a positive then it's going to be hard for it to trickle down to the rest of the team.

The end of season press conference from last week was a perfect example of the lack of accountability ownership has for the people who work under them.

Aside from that Pace obviously has to do a better job of finding offensive talent and Nagy a better job of coaching that talent and adapting his scheme to the players he has.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed on accountability being the number one thing that needs to be fixed in this organization and not just with the players...this starts at the very top with ownership down to the CEO, front office, coaching staff and down to the players.

Right now there is a clear lack of this and until the McCaskeys demand more and not accept just accept mediocrity as a positive then it's going to be hard for it to trickle down to the rest of the team.

The end of season press conference from last week was a perfect example of the lack of accountability ownership has for the people who work under them.

Aside from that Pace obviously has to do a better job of finding offensive talent and Nagy a better job of coaching that talent and adapting his scheme to the players he has.

Right. 

Here are questions I would ask Pace were I ownership (and I would have been asking them much earlier than now, now he would just be gone were it me):

Why are you missing on QBs to date?  Why were you wrong on two of best young QBs in league?  Including the best.  Why are you wrong on veterans?  What can you do different?    What have you learned?  What WILL you do different in future were I to keep you on?

Why haven't you drafted or procured better talent at OT in your time here?   The talent there has been subpar.   

Why didn't you recognize MT wasn't answer sooner?  Like before you make a blockbuster trade for Mack that keeps or kept you from being able to reset?  What made you think MT was about to improve?   Why didn't he?  Coaching or player?  

What do you like about Nagy and won't don't you like?  How are you evaluating him and on what criteria?

Give me your opinion on his practices, his evaluation and his development of talent you are bringing in.   What can Nagy do better in your opinion? 

Why do you think young talent you are bringing in isn't getting better?      

Are you on both on same page on evaluation and development?   On draft picks?  Why or why not?  

People say they self-evaluate, but most don't.   Too much ego.   You have to force them to from above by asking hard questions.

• Like 3

This was kind of a disaster season and we still went 8-8. To me I think its simple.

Eddie Goldman is the best NT in the NFL. NT is not a high value position but he is still the best one at it and we didnt have him. A DL with Hicks, Goldman, and Nicohls looks way different.

At LB, Quinn was a bust of a signing. Turns out we dont need twin pass rushers. We would work better with an actual 3rd LINEBACKER (Mack plays DE, lets be real) who can cover a little, stop the run, etc.

Secondary we are very thin at CB, We need a Vet. I really didnt like Jaylon Johnson having a vague shoulder injury when a shoulder is what ended his college career. You just plain arent going anywhere if your #2 CB is Duke Shelley or Vildor.....thats just facts.

In short, we put money on the defense and the way to fix the Bears is to Make the Defense Great Again (Haha sorry if that was in poor taste) But yeah.....sign a vet CB, get Goldman back, I dont think we can get rid of Quinns money but really just eat it and use him as Macks relief basically while drafting/signing someone else

On offense, if you miss drafting a QB thats kind of it.....the fact is we didnt draft Watson and it was dumb and we live with that. Sign whatever QB, draft OL early and hope for the best....I actually like our skill players.

Bad owners

Bad GM

Bad HC

Bad DC (retired)

Bad OC

Bad Scheme

Bad drafting

Bad FAs

Bad contracts

Bad draft position

Bad accountability for people who suck

Bad accountability for people who are ok, but do stupid things like punch the same jerk CB from the saints after listening to a 15min speech about avoiding him

Bad OLs

Bad WRs

Bad QBs

Soft defensive scheme

Bad pass rush

Bad sack totals

Bad interception totals

Bad ILB pass coverage

Bad safety play

and

Good Aaron Rodgers.

That's what I've got off the top of my head.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Epyon said:

Bad owners

Bad GM

Bad HC

Bad DC (retired)

Bad OC

Bad Scheme

Bad drafting

Bad FAs

Bad contracts

Bad draft position

Bad accountability for people who are ok, but do stupid things like punch the same jerk CB from the saints after listening to a 15min speech about avoiding him

Bad OLs

Bad WRs

Bad QBs

Soft defensive scheme

Bad pass rush

Bad sack totals

Bad interception totals

Bad ILB pass coverage

Bad safety play

and

Good Aaron Rodgers.

This is a .500 team dude....calm down haha

8 minutes ago, Epyon said:

That is significantly closer as a team to picking #1 overall than picking #32 overall.  The goal is to be picking #32 overall.

I agree that 8-8 and a playoff birth would look different if that was a down year.

Instead, we are suppose to celebrate it.

That tells you everything you need to know.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, MonserinNC said:

At LB, Quinn was a bust of a signing. Turns out we dont need twin pass rushers.

Quinn was hurt all year. Hopefully that doesn't mean he'll have to retire early. We'll see.

Every team needs at least two good pass rushers. Mack may also be declining rapidly, so we may be in really big trouble in that regard. 

21 hours ago, Epyon said:

Bad owners

Bad GM

Bad HC

Bad DC (retired)

Bad OC

Bad Scheme

Bad drafting

Bad FAs

Bad contracts

Bad draft position

Bad OLs

Bad WRs

Bad QBs

Soft defensive scheme

Bad pass rush

Bad sack totals

Bad interception totals

Bad ILB pass coverage

Bad safety play

and

Good Aaron Rodgers.

But other than that...we're all good, right?