What is wrong with Bears and how do you Fix it?

dll2000

I just dont have much of an arguing point for a coach that has never been below .500 in his tenure.....we are clearly closer to a winner than the Jaguars or the Jets....dont even know how to have an intelligent argument about this.

Im not a homer but the Bears are not terrible. We legit are what the record says, like a fringe playoff team who picked Trubisky over Watson with an idiotic pick....everything else was cool

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 10:41 PM, Epyon said:

Bad owners

Bad GM

Bad HC

Bad DC (retired)

Bad OC

Bad Scheme

Bad drafting

Bad FAs

Bad contracts

Bad draft position

Bad accountability for people who suck

Bad accountability for people who are ok, but do stupid things like punch the same jerk CB from the saints after listening to a 15min speech about avoiding him

Bad OLs

Bad WRs

Bad QBs

Soft defensive scheme

Bad pass rush

Bad sack totals

Bad interception totals

Bad ILB pass coverage

Bad safety play

and

Good Aaron Rodgers.

That's what I've got off the top of my head.

We're picking 20th in the draft. Something(s) is being VASTLY underrated here.

3 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I just dont have much of an arguing point for a coach that has never been below .500 in his tenure.....we are clearly closer to a winner than the Jaguars or the Jets....dont even know how to have an intelligent argument about this.

Im not a homer but the Bears are not terrible. We legit are what the record says, like a fringe playoff team who picked Trubisky over Watson with an idiotic pick....everything else was cool

You can't. I've tried. 

You both are far too accepting of mediocrity.... 8-8 is a nigh inescapable hellscape purgatory where you're just good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to actually be a threat for winning it all, and never in a good enough draft position to really change things.

56 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

We're picking 20th in the draft. Something(s) is being VASTLY underrated here.

Our ability to have good morale while getting our butts kicked and exposed on a 6 game losing streak I guess? Our near complete and total lack of accountability maybe?

4 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

It's not just the Trubisky pick, that just happens to be the most egregious one.... That pick also set us back a minimum of 5 years for Biscuit, and AT LEAST 3 years of draft picks to right the ship, at which point we'll have lost the defense too... So, hurray on a wasted decade? Oh... that's before you remember that the same guy who literally picked the only one of 3 QBs who sucked last time (while the other two are super stars), is going to be the guy picking our next one too.

So yeah, we're picking 20th, but I'd still rather be the Jaguars or Jets right now. At least they where smart enough to realize they weren't competitive and make changes, and they actually have the draft capital to actually address their issues.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Epyon said:

You both are far too accepting of mediocrity.... 8-8 is a nigh inescapable hellscape purgatory where you're just good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to actually be a threat for winning it all, and never in a good enough draft position to really change things.

Our ability to have good morale while getting our butts kicked and exposed on a 6 game losing streak I guess? Our near complete and total lack of accountability maybe?

It's not just the Trubisky pick, that just happens to be the most egregious one.... That pick also set us back a minimum of 5 years for Biscuit, and AT LEAST 3 years of draft picks to right the ship, at which point we'll have lost the defense too... So, hurray on a wasted decade? Oh... that's before you remember that the same guy who literally picked the only one of 3 QBs who sucked last time (while the other two are super stars), is going to be the guy picking our next one too.

So yeah, we're picking 20th, but I'd still rather be the Jaguars or Jets right now. At least they where smart enough to realize they weren't competitive and make changes, and they actually have the draft capital to actually address their issues.

It's not accepting mediocrity at all. It's simply saying, everything you had listed there is akin to a 1-3 win team, and yet we won 8 games. Again, you are VASTLY underrating 1 or more things here.  

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The same defense has played the toughest offensive schedule in the league 2 years in a row. 

The same defense that has 2 glaring weaknesses in coverage that get exposed every game in Skrine and Trevethan, and a near inability to touch the opposing QB without a blitz, (that they also rarely do).

9 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

t's not accepting mediocrity at all. It's simply saying, everything you had listed there is akin to a 1-3 win team, and yet we won 8 games. Again, you are VASTLY underrating 1 or more things here. 

You are working under the presumption that things are going to get better, not worse in the next 3 years. You are vastly overrating the future outlook of this team as it is currently constructed. Just fixing the QB problem is going to cost us multiple years of draft capital.... that's not addressing the useless walrus at LT yet so that whoever we get for QB doesn't die or spend all game running for their life, Robinson likely leaving, and Foles likely starting the season for us.  This rollercoaster is headed down, and this past year wasn't anywhere near the bottom.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The same defense that has 2 glaring weaknesses in coverage that get exposed every game in Skrine and Trevethan, and a near inability to touch the opposing QB without a blitz, (that they also rarely do).

Scheme.  And Trevathan actually picked it in late in the year. Skrine was clearly missed. Vildor wasn't ready yet and was thrown into the fire. Then we lost Jaylon which threw another wrench. 

The defense has carried this team for 3 years now, despite playing the hardest offensive schedule in the league for two years in a row.....which doesn't usually happen 

4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

You are working under the presumption that things are going to get better, not worse in the next 3 years. You are vastly overrating the future outlook of this team as it is currently constructed. Just fixing the QB problem is going to cost us multiple years of draft capital.... that's not addressing the useless walrus at LT yet so that whoever we get for QB doesn't die or spend all game running for their life, Robinson likely leaving, and Foles likely starting the season for us.  This rollercoaster is headed down, and this past year wasn't anywhere near the bottom.

I'm not talking about 3 years from now.  Alot can change in 3 years.  I'm talking about what you said about NOW. Which is clearly vastly underrating certain aspects.

28 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm not talking about 3 years from now.  Alot can change in 3 years.  I'm talking about what you said about NOW. Which is clearly vastly underrating certain aspects.

And right now, the Bears don't have a viable future, as they are currently constructed, and they're extremely unlikely to change that with the cap space, draft capital, or the muppets making the decisions on how to spend those two things.  Your optimism for this team in the short term is entirely 100% unearned, and borderline delusional.

Edited by Epyon

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

And right now, the Bears don't have a viable future, as they are currently constructed, and they're extremely unlikely to change that with the cap space, draft capital, or the muppets making the decisions on how to spend those two things.  Your optimism for this team in the short term is entirely 100% unearned, and borderline delusional.

You described this team as if we're the Jets, Browns, or Lions. That is unearned and delusional. 

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

One can disagree.  I also agree that being .500 doesn't mean suck.   But this is not an unintelligent argument.

Perpetually in .500 range and very rarely being a contender is a problem. 

League is designed to be .500.   So being .500 is not a huge accomplishment.

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

One can disagree.  I also agree that being .500 doesn't mean suck.   But this is not an unintelligent argument.

Perpetually in .500 range and very rarely being a contender is a problem. 

League is designed to be .500.   So being .500 is not a huge accomplishment.

I think it's more that the record should be better given the competitive stage the team is in right now.

In any NFL season there are teams that are building, teams that are competing, and teams that are tearing things down. The past few seasons were supposed to be the competitive peak of this Bears roster. When you're competing, 8 wins isn't much of an accomplishment.

It's not that the Bears are bad, more like average without a straightforward way to improve. It's hard to see this team growing into a contender without significant changes.

• Like 1