Are teams too quick to "pay" young QBs? Small study of current QB contracts

Tk3

Also circumstances are a big factor a team that has sucked at drafting for the past 7 years like Philly should have never paid Wentz. They had to know a depleted roster could catch up to them and that cap could of been spent elsewhere.

Also Houston Watson is an amazing player but BOB screwed that organization up does that catch up to Watson's performance if he stays we'll see m

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think looking at it from purely a Super Bowl win or not is too restrictive.  Yes, that is the ultimate goal, so not getting that is an issue.   But If a team is paying 15% of their cap to the QB, that QB better be getting that team to the playoffs 75+% of the time on that type of cap hit.  Once in the playoffs, then stringing together a few wins can get you there. 

Players like

Stafford -- few playoff appearances
Ryan -- 2 years of playoffs since inking his 1st big contract in 2013
Cousins -- 1 playoff appearance 3 years with MIN

QB purgatory (top 10-20 QB) not elite enough to be able to lead a team that has to go cost conservative at other positions due to the QB contract, yet not awful enough to know you need to find a better option and able to win enough games that you are not picking high in the draft to get a QB.

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You said you'd have to consider rodgers a failure misread

My quote is above.   I never said that

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

When you sign those contracts I'd trade a highly paid ver for picks. 

If the browns sign baker, I'd consider trading bitonio or tretter for some mod rounders to replace them and save 20 million over two years.

I mean it's a lot more complicated than that it be hard to sell that to an NFL lockeroom you risk losing the team

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

trade for a boatload of picks, build a stupid good defense, and roll with a journey-man QB or a young, cheap guy to keep that window open.

Like a cheap Goff is good enough to win a SB with, but an expensive Goff is not. They should have traded him.

I hope this is the approach the Saints take... they have a good core and proved they can win games with guys like Teddy and Taysom. I’m sure Jameis could’ve won them some games too if he was given the chance Taysom got.

They aren’t “put a team on my back” good QBs, but if they and they team get hot at the perfect time they can beat anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

I hope this is the approach the Saints take... they have a good core and proved they can win games with guys like Teddy and Taysom. I’m sure Jameis could’ve won them some games too if he was given the chance Taysom got.

They aren’t “put a team on my back” good QBs, but if they and they team get hot at the perfect time they can beat anyone. 

yep, legit think you guys would be in Lambeau this Sunday if Hill was a go and he and Winston split snaps. Payton could have made that work

San Francisco has done a series of one year contracts with QBs if I recall correctly??? Therefore I don't think jimmy j deserved to be ok this list they can cut bait at anytime. Did it with Colin K too

I honestly don't get why more teams don't do this

Edited by thebestever6

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

yep, legit think you guys would be in Lambeau this Sunday if Hill was a go and he and Winston split snaps. Payton could have made that work

I agree I just don't think Payton had it in him to pull Brees I thought it was the right move . Tough to do in a guys last home game but you have to put the team first as a coach.

Just now, thebestever6 said:

I agree I just don't think Payton had it in him to pull Brees I thought it was the right move . Tough to do in a guys last home game but you have to put the team first as a coach.

was like Favre vs Giants in 2007 NFCCG with Rodgers waiting. GB would have been in the SB that year if McCarthy had put Rodgers in :(

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Jameis is a turnover machine. 

Edited by CP3MVP