Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

Seems like McVay is shouldering a lot of the blame for the offense. Interesting he spent so much time on the defense, must have been worried about a 1st time coordinator which also gives us some of the reasoning for him going with Morris. 

Edited by NVRamsFan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Seems like McVay is shouldering a lot of the blame for the offense. Interesting he spent so much time on the defense, must have been worried about a 1st time coordinator which also gives us some of the reasoning for him going with Morris. 

Shouldn’t he shoulder a lot of the blame?? Not acquiring a deep threat and better interior lineman is a pretty huge blunder on his part....

12 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Shouldn’t he shoulder a lot of the blame?? Not acquiring a deep threat and better interior lineman is a pretty huge blunder on his part....

I think the deep threat thing is over played. Manning and Brady never really bad burners... So that’s not a be all and end all argument... The plays work.. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

What does that have to do with what I just said? 

You said Goff and McVay chose to give Goff the contract, they also chose to give Gurley and Cooks the contract and they dumped both

doesnt mean they won’t dump Goff in the future even though they chose to give him a contract 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

I think the deep threat thing is over played. Manning and Brady never really bad burners... So that’s not a be all and end all argument... The plays work.. 

Brady had one of his best seasons throwing to Randy freakin Moss, and Manning was throwing to Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

Oh the same guy that wanted Goff benched for Sean freakin Mannion before we went to the Superbowl has inside intel on no one wanting Goff. Please, tell me more. 

Yeah, Dickerson has never been a Goff fan. Dude has said reckless stuff about him on multiple occasions.

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

The problem is threefold. First, our OL couldn't consistently hold up for long-developing passing plays. Second, our WRs did not have the skillsets to consistently gain quick vertical separation. Third, Manning and Brady weren't the QBs you remember until they were older than Goff. (Also, Marvin Harrison could fly.) Goff is 26 years old. Let's look at the numbers that Manning and Brady put up at 26 years old:

Manning

392/591 66.3% 4200 passing yards 7.1 YPA 27 passing TDs 19 Ints 88.8 Passer Rating

Brady

317/527 60.2% 3620 passing yards 6.9 YPA 23 passing TDs 12 Ints 85.9 Passer Rating

34 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

You said Goff and McVay chose to give Goff the contract, they also chose to give Gurley and Cooks the contract and they dumped both

doesnt mean they won’t dump Goff in the future even though they chose to give him a contract 

They're not exactly equivalent situations. First, we moved on from Cooks and Gurley due to injuries. Second, we could afford to dump both for essentially a second round pick because we had the ammunition to grab a replacement HB and a replacement WR. It's a lot harder to replace a starting QB. Now, if Deshaun Watson becomes a realistic option, do I think they'll hesitate to trade Goff? No. But we're not going to dump the dude unless we can line up somebody better.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:
10 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

10 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

That's a theme on this board to completely discredit things we don't agree with. Instead of accepting things we don't like, we pivot to making them false or not credible. It's just flat out sad.

A “source close to the situation” and “needs  marriage counseling” is TMZ jargon. It’s literally tabloid talk. You keep taking anonymous whispers as gospel, I’ll stick to the fact that Sean McVay and Les Snead CHOSE to give Goff that contract, they picked him as their guy. But let’s just keep pretending that he was forced upon them. 

Yeah, I don't believe that for a second. Wentz was going to have a market. If we want to trade Goff, he'll have a market.

Well, I can't say I'm shocked by both of your responses. 😆

Snead and McVay gave him a contract two years ago. They also gave Gurley a contract, then cut bait on him. They also gave Brandin Cooks a contract, then cut bait on him. Bad group of guys to use the "gave him a contract, he's there guy" line. They've made mistakes. They've been good at identifying those mistakes early and correcting them. I just don't think Goff is going anywhere next year though given his contract unless we attach picks to him. We don't have that luxury.

I'll put it in a nicer way that I think makes all of us walk away from this discussion a little more agreeable.

YOU guys believe this team is multiple pieces away from a SuperBowl. (right or wrong?)

I think this team is only a QB away from a Superbowl.

Fair?

Edited by BStanRamFan

8 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Jourdan Rodrique? Who's that? That's just her opinion, it's not fact!

But seriously, he's says this at the end of every season. "It's on him, he needs to be better, blah blah". It's coach speak. English is actually his second language.

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

YOU guys believe this team is multiple pieces away from a SuperBowl. (right or wrong?)

I think this team is only a QB away from a Superbowl.

Fair?

I think that depends. If you literally swapped Goff for a Watson or Mahomes caliber player then yes, we are a QB away since you are massively upgrading the most important position. But I'd also contend that Watson and Mahomes are great deep passers. They have Watkins, Hill, Hardman, Fuller, Cooks, and Stills to throw deep too. Wouldn't it make sense that if we got an upgrade at QB that we'd also want to add a deep passing threat for them? 

You like using PFF numbers. I saw they ranked Goff 21st this year amongst QBs. How high of an upgrade would we have to go on the QB rankings to win a SB? 15? 10? And what is more likely - that we get to that QB ranking due to Goff improving or we select a QB with a mid-round pick or sign a vet to a low-end contract?

15 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think that depends. If you literally swapped Goff for a Watson or Mahomes caliber player then yes, we are a QB away since you are massively upgrading the most important position. But I'd also contend that Watson and Mahomes are great deep passers. They have Watkins, Hill, Hardman, Fuller, Cooks, and Stills to throw deep too. Wouldn't it make sense that if we got an upgrade at QB that we'd also want to add a deep passing threat for them? 

You like using PFF numbers. I saw they ranked Goff 21st this year amongst QBs. How high of an upgrade would we have to go on the QB rankings to win a SB? 15? 10? And what is more likely - that we get to that QB ranking due to Goff improving or we select a QB with a mid-round pick or sign a vet to a low-end contract?

Fair points. I don't see us adding a top tier QB next season like Watson or Mahomes, but I wouldn't be a opposed to adding a speedster late (Duvernay type) or a Kenny Stills in that scenario. I'm not opposed to it now with Goff, I just think there's a reason we don't have one and it was a decision made by McVay to maximize our offense and chances of winning.

I'd say we need to add someone that can give us 10-15 level production. I think we can draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd combined with McVay/KoC to get that level of production. Or we bring in a vet that McVay can bring that level of production out of them (Can Minshew be a better version of Wolford?) 

As offenses in todays NFL are mimicking more of the college style offenses, we are seeing rookies come in with less of a learning curve and being able to contribute right away. I just have an enormous amount of faith in McVay to get better production from the QB position and after Goff's regression it makes you want to look around to see if there's an upgrade out there. If not, we still have Goff to fall back on. I'm in no way suggesting we cut him and I don't think he will be traded next season. He's on this roster in the 2021 season, but let's see if we can bring in competition.

Who were the middle of the pack QB's ( I dont have a PFF subscription so idk the final rankings)?

let's assume:

Matt Stafford, Phil Rivers, Baker Mayfield, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan

Can we find someone to match that level of production in the offseason via FA or draft? I think it's possible. I can say with confidence that the Rams have a more talented and better coached team then the 5 guys I named above (Stefanski is close to McVay). 

Edited by BStanRamFan

37 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Matt Stafford, Phil Rivers, Baker Mayfield, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan

Can we find someone to match that level of production in the offseason via FA or draft? I think it's possible. I can say with confidence that the Rams have a more talented and better coached team then the 5 guys I named above (Stefanski is close to McVay). 

Well Rivers just retired. Stafford, Mayfield, and Matt Ryan were all top 3 picks. Cousins was a FA and got more guaranteed money than any QB at signing. The likelihood of getting any of that is so slim when the teams that acquired those QBs in the first place invested major resources which we do not have. Really the only precedent of improving the QB position this offseason is getting a Dak in round 4 but that is just about the only example of the last 5 years. And Dak as a rookie wasn't the Dak of now either. Kyle Shanahan and McVay are very similar as offensive gurus. They drafted Beathard in round 3. It's not as simple as just get a cheap QB and have someone sprinkle magic dust on them and you get elite production.

37 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I wouldn't be a opposed to adding a speedster late (Duvernay type) or a Kenny Stills in that scenario. I'm not opposed to it now with Goff, I just think there's a reason we don't have one and it was a decision made by McVay to maximize our offense and chances of winning.

We just will never agree on this. The team traded a 2nd for Watkins and had the best offense in the league. Then they traded a 1st for Cooks and improved on the 2017 offense. It's unimaginable to me that you are concluding that the FO/McVay decided after 1 down year that Goff doesn't utilize deep threats.

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 2