Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

After the game on Saturday McVay said “Goff’s our quarterback, right now.” Not exactly a glowing endorsement. Now a new report says Goff’s and McVay’s relationship with needs “marriage counseling.”

It seemed after his thumb injury there was almost an eagerness from him for Wolford to play. Like he had an excuse not to play him and would’ve been the starter the rest of the season had he not got injured. 

So with the off-season now upon us what do y’all think we do? Bring in someone who can push him, ride it out with him, even make the blockbuster trade for Watson though that’s unlikely.

Not even interested. I hope they bring in a viable backup somebody for Goff to work with. But if this coach and front office move on from him it'll be three straight offensive players in a row with big contracts they've dumped and screwed with our cap space. That's not something they can keep doing and be successful. 

• Like 1

I trust McVay with each move he makes. If Goff is on the roster then fine, if he somehow gets dumped like TG and Cooks then fine too. McVay has shown he can replace players fairly quickly. 

Goff wasn’t good the last two seasons so it’s tough to say he should remain the unquestioned starter. At the very least, I do expect McVay to bring in competition to either push Goff to be better or to weed him out. That all depends on how Goff responds  

honestly I’m more concerned about his staff getting picked off to other teams like the Chargers 

I'm glad this is being addressed by McVay. I expect a vet (@jrry mentions Minshew who I like) or possibly an 2nd/3rd round QB prospect for McVay to groom. Honestly, I think he's waited too long to draft someone at the position. At the very least as someone to flip for a better pick later on.

Goff will be given a chance to win the job, but it won't be handed to him. Out of all the QB's remaining in the divisional round, Goff stood out as the blacksheep. We need to upgrade play at the position. McVay is too good, the defense is too talented to play QB-Roulette with the play we get from Goff week in and week out. I was completely ostracized on this board going into Week 17 supporting Wolford and now McVay has made his thoughts pretty clear: we need an upgrade from Goff's play.

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Out of all the QB's remaining in the divisional round, Goff stood out as the blacksheep. 

Because people like to rip him. But he was at worst the 4th best QB that played. Him and Mayfield have arguments for both. If the Bills or Bucs who won played against an opponent that scored and held the ball like GB they would have gotten bounced. 

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I was completely ostracized on this board going into Week 17 supporting Wolford and now McVay has made his thoughts pretty clear: we need an upgrade from Goff's play.

Because you were basing it off a 1 game sample when the offense scored 9 points. It would be like Goff defenders saying he played great in the wild card game. 

• Like 1

Just now, LeotheLion said:

Because people like to rip him. But he was at worst the 4th best QB that played. Him and Mayfield have arguments for both. If the Bills or Bucs who won played against an opponent that scored and held the ball like GB they would have gotten bounced. 

His play this weekend put him into the 4th spot. Brees was outright trash. Lamar was injured. Brady didn't look great, but Godwin dropping that throw hurt his numbers. So I'll give you that. But on paper, Goff was the blacksheep from a talent and resume perspective.

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Because you were basing it off a 1 game sample when the offense scored 9 points. It would be like Goff defenders saying he played great in the wild card game. 

I was on board before Wolford played a snap. I jumped off Goff after the Jet game. His turnovers cost this team wins. And yes, I was the first to admit he played admirably vs Seattle in Round 1 and also played very well Round 2. Give credit where credit is due.

But if you're look at this team long term and the goal is winning a SuperBowl, we need to see if we can upgrade. We just watched what our offense could look like with top tier talent behind the helm on Saturday. No, I don't expect is to find an MVP caliber player in the offseason at QB, but I expect McVay to find someone who get the most out of his offense. Goff has regressed. It's time to weigh our options. 

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Goff was the blacksheep from a talent and resume perspective.

Unless we are weighing a Heisman or commercials very heavily, Mayfield doesn't have anywhere close to the resume of Goff. 

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

But if you're look at this team long term and the goal is winning a SuperBowl, we need to see if we can upgrade. We just watched what our offense could look like with top tier talent behind the helm on Saturday. No, I don't expect is to find an MVP caliber player in the offseason at QB, but I expect McVay to find someone who get the most out of his offense. Goff has regressed. It's time to weigh our options. 

I agree with this but since the goal was to win the SB, I'll always contend that it was illogical to want to roll with Wolford or a healthy Goff. Goff was too compromised in Seattle so Wolford was the correct play but my recollection was you were indifferent if Goff was healthy or not. Not to stir up old arguments but I think saying the goal to win the SB and that Wolford should start over Goff contradicts each other. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Unless we are weighing a Heisman or commercials very heavily, Mayfield doesn't have anywhere close to the resume of Goff. 

Doesn't have the resume. Played better this season and down the stretch.

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I agree with this but since the goal was to win the SB, I'll always contend that it was illogical to want to roll with Wolford or a healthy Goff. Goff was too compromised in Seattle so Wolford was the correct play but my recollection was you were indifferent if Goff was healthy or not. Not to stir up old arguments but I think saying the goal to win the SB and that Wolford should start over Goff contradicts each other. 

Wolford was a potential upgrade THIS SEASON given his ability to make plays with his legs. We also saw him go through progressions better and take more deep shots in his solo start. I wanted Wolford even if Goff was healthy. I thought he added a different dynamic to the offense and Goff was too turnover prone this late in the season.

Looking at next year, I don't want Wolford or Goff. I want a FA or acquisition (Jameis, Mariota, maybe Minshew) or preferrably a QB taken in the 2nd or 3rd. My dream is Trey Lance, but we would have to move into the early 2nd to get him. Likely package one of our 3rds and our 2nd to do it. I would do that. 

Edited by BStanRamFan

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Looking at next year, I don't want Wolford or Goff. I want a FA or acquisition (Jameis, Mariota, maybe Minshew) or preferrably a QB taken in the 2nd or 3rd. My dream is Trey Lance, but we would have to move into the early 2nd to get him. Likely package one of our 3rds and our 2nd to do it. I would do that. 

I think Lance is going to be a first rounder. The lack of season could help him slide but I don't see it.

I don't see Jamesis. He's likely too much money. Mariota may be in play but I think people are forgetting how bad he was in Tennessee and how much things changed when Tannehill took over. 

• Like 1

Goff should be the guy moving forward. I think Goff gets slandered compared to other QBs. McVay needs to look himself in the mirror because we have this gem at back in Akers yet for stretches of the season he was calling games where Goff was throwing the ball 45+ times. We know QBs that throw high volume of passes like that usually don’t win. It’s not just Goff it’s Brees, Big Ben, Brady, you name it. So I love McVay but just like we say Goff is still relatively young for the QB position well McVay is like a baby in terms of coaching for his age. We have to ask this question, how would Andy Reid handle Goff? After all under Reid Nick Foles and Mick Vick had their best seasons at the QB position. So did Alex Smith. Reason is Reid has so much experience as a head coach and he grew. He experienced the highs and lows.

McVay can also look at Pete Carroll. The Seahawks was on the verge of winning back to back Superbowl on the defense and the running game. The second Carroll decided Wilson was going to throw the ball from the 1yd line and it for intercepted the Seahawks have never been back to the NFCCG let alone the Superbowl. It’s not because Wilson forgot how to play. It’s because the identity of the Seahawks was gone and it starts with the coach. So we can all look at Goff and say he need to play better and it’s true but McVay need to put the offense in more better positions to succeed. He is young and is continuing to figure it out as well as Goff but before we say move on from Goff, I’d like to see if Goff and this offense can get back to what it was doing best and that’s run the ball with Akers then playaction pass off it to keep the defense on its heel and let Goff deal. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I think Lance is going to be a first rounder. The lack of season could help him slide but I don't see it.

I don't see Jamesis. He's likely too much money. Mariota may be in play but I think people are forgetting how bad he was in Tennessee and how much things changed when Tannehill took over. 

Oh no he was not good in Tennessee, I acknowledge that. I just have faith in McVay to sprinkle some magic on him. Same way the Titans turned around Tannehill from Gase, I'm sure McVay could do with Mariota.

Edited by BStanRamFan

14 minutes ago, S-jax39 said:

How did yall feel about playcalling this year?

I thought it was fine early on, horrible midseason, and got a lot better the past few weeks. Mcvay's biggest problem is and has always been getting away from the run. Establishing that is what this offense needs to open up the pass, and with the defense we had, there was no excuse to have your QB throwing 30 times in the first half. 

If Goff isn't our QB next year, we better have found a realistic way of trading for Watson without killing the rest of the team. Those are the only two options I'd be happy with. Im not sure what's going on with Mcvay and Goff, but they better get their act together and stop all this passive aggressive BS in the media. Mcvay needs to coach better, Goff needs to play better, and we need to spend the offseason strengthening the rest of the offense around him. 

• Like 1

Mcvay was very frustrated with Wolford injury during the Seattle game and i think the thumb injury was just a pretext to bench Goff. 

He was eager to see what he could have done with him and to compare at the end of the season how to move forward. 

We saw that the playcalling was more open with Wolford than Goff and that's not a coincidence. 

Now Goff will still be a starter next year but i think Mcvay won't hesitate to bench him if he's still strugling with the turnover. 

For the offseason, if we could land a FA for a good bargain, why not. But i don't want to spend a draft pick for a backup QB. We have other needs to fill. 

I'm happy with Wolford as backup.