Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

1 hour ago, RamRod said:

There was an article a few days ago about us trading for Stafford where David Carr said a trade for him would be Goff, and a second, and third round pick.

That seems fair but we wouldn't be big players in the draft though. I think we'd still have two third round compensatory picks though. One for Holmes, and one for Fowler. 

If we trade anything along with Goff for Stafford, it's a loss in my book. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills but I just can't fathom trading a 26 year old pocket passer entering a possible prime for a 33 year old pocket passer on his way down, and then adding in picks to it. I like Stafford as a player too, but I just can't understand this. 

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Awesome. Trade all of our top 100 picks for a lateral move. Would have to give Holmes credit for robbing us on that deal.

It's not even a lateral move in my eyes. Maybe for this coming year, but you're trading a possible prime of Goff with 7 extra years of play for Stafford who realistically may only have a few years left. This is almost making me sick. 

• Like 1

Also can someone confirm what the effect on the cap would be with trading away Goff and trading for Stafford? I read that it was a -8M cap hit to what we already don't have, but that's Twitter so I want to see if that's right.

One of these days I'll sit down and understand the cap/dead money situation. 

• Like 1

Just now, JonStark said:

Also can someone confirm what the effect on the cap would be with trading away Goff and trading for Stafford? I read that it was a -8M cap hit to what we already don't have, but that's Twitter so I want to see if that's right.

Yep, I broke it down in someone’s mock who made the trade. 

It all depends on when the trade happens, but I’d imagine that the Lions want to get the deal done before his Roster Bonus ($10m) hits. Now if doing it after that, and the Lions take the cap hit, is what the extra draft picks would be for...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JonStark said:

If we trade anything along with Goff for Stafford, it's a loss in my book. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills but I just can't fathom trading a 26 year old pocket passer entering a possible prime for a 33 year old pocket passer on his way down, and then adding in picks to it. I like Stafford as a player too, but I just can't understand this. 

It's not even a lateral move in my eyes. Maybe for this coming year, but you're trading a possible prime of Goff with 7 extra years of play for Stafford who realistically may only have a few years left. This is almost making me sick. 

You know I agree. But I was speaking more in the short term. EDIT: Regardless, I think this is a case of Snead helping his old lieutenant drive up the price on the 49ers.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JonStark said:

That's roughly accurate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You know I agree. But I was speaking more in the short term. EDIT: Regardless, I think this is a case of Snead helping his old lieutenant drive up the price on the 49ers.

I have no doubt they looked into the option, they are looking into all options. But I’m not sure how “viable” our offer truly would be, unless the Lions really want Goff, and it’s more important to us to get out of the Contract than it matters to them who the QB is

38 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I have no doubt they looked into the option, they are looking into all options. But I’m not sure how “viable” our offer truly would be, unless the Lions really want Goff, and it’s more important to us to get out of the Contract than it matters to them who the QB is

What kind of money is stafford making? And how long is his contract? If we can get the deal done and use stafford as a stop gap till Mcvay finds his guy. It would be worth it.

18 minutes ago, Riftty said:

What kind of money is stafford making? And how long is his contract? If we can get the deal done and use stafford as a stop gap till Mcvay finds his guy. It would be worth it.

Trading Goff and then trading for Stafford results in us losing $8 million in cap space this year. Stafford would only make $23 million the next year, but he'd be a FA after that season.

20 minutes ago, Riftty said:

He’s got 2 years left on his current deal. 

His base salary for 2021 he is making $9.5m, but there’s a $10m roster bonus  due on the 5th day of the league year, so it’s likely they want this done before that. Plus a $500k workout bonus, so it’s likely $20m cap hit to whoever gets him. That’s $7.5-8m over what we would save this year via Goff trade. 

In 2022 Stafford would be a $23m cap hit. 

I don’t want Stafford here. If we bring in an older QB I want one who’s got a better resume than Stafford. Stafford has had some pretty darn good weapons at his disposal during his time in Detroit, yet there’s zero playoff wins under his belt. 

Yes he’s never had a consistent run game to help him out, and the Lions weren’t exactly tearing up opposing offenses with their defense, but Goff never had Megatron, Marvin Jones, and Golliday to throw to either. Outside of 2020, the Rams defense has been slightly above average at best...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I won’t be ecstatic if the Rams traded Goff for Stafford but I believe in the front office and coaching so if they think it’s an upgrade then I’m rolling with them. 

they did a good job with Van Jefferson and Akers 

And the same front office will have royally messed up contracts for Gurley Cooks and Goff if they dump Goff. Already two strikes against them.