Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

4 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

And the same front office will have royally messed up contracts for Gurley Cooks and Goff if they dump Goff. Already two strikes against them. 

Sure, but if they fix their wrongs then I don’t see it that bad. 

as long as they keep hitting in the draft like they’ve been and correct course, we should still be competitive. 

they most likely learned from their contract mistakes and won’t do that again but at least they can keep finding talent to replace their wrongs at a much more affordable price 

2 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

I don’t want Stafford here. If we bring in an older QB I want one who’s got a better resume than Stafford. Stafford has had some pretty darn good weapons at his disposal during his time in Detroit, yet there’s zero playoff wins under his belt. 

Yes he’s never had a consistent run game to help him out, and the Lions weren’t exactly tearing up opposing offenses with their defense, but Goff never had Megatron, Marvin Jones, and Golliday to throw to either. Outside of 2020, the Rams defense has been slightly above average at best...

Goff’s offensive weapons were a lot better than Stafford’s offensive coaching 

According to Jourdan Rodrigue of The Athletic, the rams have had "exploratory talks" with other teams about trading Goff and

"That means if the Rams deem a quarterback worth trading for and are able to execute such a transaction, they would be willing to eat $22.2 million in dead-cap money, plus the new quarterback’s salary. They also could trade Goff after June 1 (an extremely rare scenario, though there is league precedent) for a relatively small total of $6.8 million in dead money in 2021 (plus $15.4 million in 2022)."

If this is true.. I won’t say im crazy surprised since this FO will do anything to get anyone if they think it’ll help the team. At the same time I didn’t think it would happen because of the dead money and what not. So many things weirdly keep adding up that kind of point to Watson but I can’t see the rams being able to outbid anyone with picks. I am absolutely clueless as to what is about to happen and I’m being excited to see. Off seasons are fun with this team. 

3 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

That's true. But the issue here, and you agree, Rocky (IIRC), is that there's no point in trading Goff for somebody who is basically a lateral move.

3 hours ago, MDY10 said:

According to Jourdan Rodrigue of The Athletic, the rams have had "exploratory talks" with other teams about trading Goff and

"That means if the Rams deem a quarterback worth trading for and are able to execute such a transaction, they would be willing to eat $22.2 million in dead-cap money, plus the new quarterback’s salary. They also could trade Goff after June 1 (an extremely rare scenario, though there is league precedent) for a relatively small total of $6.8 million in dead money in 2021 (plus $15.4 million in 2022)."

If this is true.. I won’t say im crazy surprised since this FO will do anything to get anyone if they think it’ll help the team. At the same time I didn’t think it would happen because of the dead money and what not. So many things weirdly keep adding up that kind of point to Watson but I can’t see the rams being able to outbid anyone with picks. I am absolutely clueless as to what is about to happen and I’m being excited to see. Off seasons are fun with this team. 

If there is a trade, it will probably be post june 1 because i don't see how we can eat a 22M dead cap money, pay the new QB and then have a competitive team this year with all the FA we have. 

Even if Snead is a magician in term of working around the salary cap, it will be mind blowing to see how he will deal with a scenario like this and still have a competitive team.

I see people crapping on Stafford here. The thing is we have to look at Stafford being on a Lions team that had bad defenses and poor coaching. Even with all of that Stafford had the Lions competitive. There were alot of times the Lions would have double digit leads. Not just against bad teams but great teams. They had the Saints beat this year but blew it in the 4th. They had the Chiefs beat last year and Mahomes pulled his 4th Q magic. Again both instances the Lions defense couldnt make stops because it was bad. You now give Stafford great coaching and a great defense with the Rams he will thrive. If I had my choice I would go for Watson or even see if I could pry ARod from the Packers. Seeing that those are probably not realistic, I wouldnt mind Stafford seeing as though the Rams brass is hell bent on moving on from Goff. So in general when we look at Stafford we have to first look at the poor Lions organization he has had to overcome. The only time he legit had a decent to good coach in Caldwell the Lions was winning 9-11 games and either making the playoffs are in strong playoff contentions towards the end of the season. So Im not going to crap on Stafford knowing the Rams team have everything plus some for Stafford to step onto and thrive. 

7 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

So it balances out... one guy has had hall of fame caliber weapons, while the other has great coaching. 

We know what Goff can do with a consistent supporting cast ( see 2017-18 ) and we know he can keep us competitive in the toughest division in football, but can Stafford handle playing in this division? How many good years does he have left in him? 

I think Stafford is a good player, but as I’ve stated before, if we’re gonna move on from a young QB entering his prime, it should be for someone with a better resume than Stafford. Some Rams fans just want to get rid of Goff just for the heck of it. 

22 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I see people crapping on Stafford here. The thing is we have to look at Stafford being on a Lions team that had bad defenses and poor coaching. Even with all of that Stafford had the Lions competitive. There were alot of times the Lions would have double digit leads. Not just against bad teams but great teams. They had the Saints beat this year but blew it in the 4th. They had the Chiefs beat last year and Mahomes pulled his 4th Q magic. Again both instances the Lions defense couldnt make stops because it was bad. You now give Stafford great coaching and a great defense with the Rams he will thrive. If I had my choice I would go for Watson or even see if I could pry ARod from the Packers. Seeing that those are probably not realistic, I wouldnt mind Stafford seeing as though the Rams brass is hell bent on moving on from Goff. So in general when we look at Stafford we have to first look at the poor Lions organization he has had to overcome. The only time he legit had a decent to good coach in Caldwell the Lions was winning 9-11 games and either making the playoffs are in strong playoff contentions towards the end of the season. So Im not going to crap on Stafford knowing the Rams team have everything plus some for Stafford to step onto and thrive. 

No one is crapping on Stafford. I'm actually a pretty big fan ever since he came in that game at the end injured and threw that TD pass.

The issue is that 33 year old Stafford is not a huge upgrade (or even an upgrade at all to some) over 26 year old Goff. To lose 8M more in cap we don't have and possibly even draft picks on top of it is ridiculous. We make that move and you can kiss addressing any of our other major holes this year goodbye. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

No one is crapping on Stafford. I'm actually a pretty big fan ever since he came in that game at the end injured and threw that TD pass.

The issue is that 33 year old Stafford is not a huge upgrade (or even an upgrade at all to some) over 26 year old Goff. To lose 8M more in cap we don't have and possibly even draft picks on top of it is ridiculous. We make that move and you can kiss addressing any of our other major holes this year goodbye. 

It’s that one track mindset that Goff is the only problem we’ve had on the team. I doubt it will matter much who’s behind center, unless we start improving in the trenches, and get weapons that can stretch the field, we’re gonna witness the same tragedy over and over.

No deep threat so defenses will just sit on the short/intermediate routes. TEs aren’t doing crap so no one will fear them. Our best offensive lineman is almost 40 coming off of an injury, while the others are plain average at best or playing out of position.

And that’s just the offense...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

It’s that one track mindset that Goff is the only problem we’ve had on the team. I doubt it will matter much who’s behind center, unless we start improving in the trenches, and get weapons that can stretch the field, we’re gonna witness the same tragedy over and over.

No deep threat so defenses will just sit on the short/intermediate routes. TEs aren’t doing crap so no one will fear them. Our best offensive lineman is almost 40 coming off of an injury, while the others are plain average at best or playing out of position.

And that’s just the offense...

Agreed, and I don't see how it's possible for us to address those issues losing even more money that we don't have an sending away our draft picks. 

26 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

They were down 35-14 to the Saints at one point. They got completely rolled. A terrible Stafford pick flipped the game. 

You right. Im thinking that the Lions did make it a game in the 4th Q 35-29. Stafford has the Lions for the most part competitive despite bad defense and extremely poor coaching. The Lions as an organization has really never gotten it right even when they had Barry Sanders on the roster they surrounded him with nothing just wasting away. Its hard to overcome a bad organization. So I think Stafford with the Rams he will thrive. Possibly to same level as Goff you just hope he make those few plays that Goff wasnt making according the fans on here and obviously the coaching. Im perfectly fine with Goff over Stafford but obviously McVay wants someone who can execute his offense better and if he thinks its Stafford then Im going to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

27 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I dont think age should be a factor for a team that wants to win now. The Bucs let go a young Winston for the oldest QB in the NFL in Brady. They are in the Superbowl now. In the NBA the Nets traded away a 22yr old Allen and a 26yr old LeVert and pretty much every pick they have for the next 7 or 8 years for a 31yr old Harden because they think they have a shot to win now. So the Rams have a shot to win now age isnt the issue. I get if you think Stafford isnt much of an upgrade or maybe even a downgrade but if in McVay mind he is a savvy vet who will do the things that obviously he constantly see Goff not doing then thats a big upgrade. The reason why the Bucs got Brady was because he doesnt turn the ball over like Winston and is more in the clutch. Plus he knows how to make his teammates better especially in key situations. Like for example the end of the half against the Packers which probably was the turning point of the game. Now if Stafford can do those things consistently than Goff while still providing good production then hey its worth it because the Rams go from being a one and done or two and done playoff team to a legit NFCCG caliber team with a great chance to the Superbowl.

Plus there is something to be said when you have a ton of teams wanting Stafford including the Niners and Colts. Both well ran organizations with offensive minded coaches who know what they are doing when it comes to offenses and QBs. So we think if the Colts or Niners get Stafford they will be well positioned in Superbowl position I think McVay is thinking the same and the Rams get Stafford he gets to keep him away from the Niners. So its a win-win from that aspect as well. 

5 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

McVay wants someone who can execute his offense better and if he thinks its Stafford then Im going to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

I'm done giving him the benefit of the doubt. That doesn't mean I'm off of Mcvay. He's completely turned our franchise around and I want him here for a long time, but he's lost the rights to the "In Mcvay we trust" assumption.

You don't sign Gurley, Cooks, and Goff to major extensions just to trade them away. I understand that's on Snead too, but there is no chance he would make those moves without Mcvay's blessing and Mcvay even demanded that Goff's extension come before he signed his own. Now two years later, Mcvay wants to move on and expend more cap we don't have and draft picks that we need? This isn't Madden. He needs to earn back the rights to that assumption. 

• Like 1