Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Let's be honest, when Goff was tearing it up, the narrative from the media and opposing fans was that Goff deserved little credit because he was McVay's puppet. That leaves us with two points:

1. Goff wasn't McVay's puppet and was playing lights out football; or

2. McVay hasn't done the job as a puppeteer over the past two years.

If the answer is #1, Goff didn't just forget how to play QB. If the answer is #2, McVay needs to step his game up.

If you ask me my opinion, I think it's more nuanced than that. Goff benefitted from a scheme that was killing defenses. Defenses have made some adjustments, and Goff and McVay haven't done their best work in adjusting back. But Goff was also playing at a very high level. And Goff is capable of doing that again. I hope this franchise doesn't make a rash decision. Because I have a feeling we'll end up paying for it down the line.

And the evidence it is clearly some of both is Snead and McVay chose to extend him with more guaranteed money than anyone in history. If they felt his play was easily replicated then why would they do that? 

• Like 3

It’s bittersweet that he’s gone. But oh well. The game goes on 

Most guys had an emotional attachment to Goff but we need to move on. 

i understand some of you may be upset but if you don’t want to root for this team then don’t let the door hit you on the way out. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 12:10 PM, jrry32 said:

I'd bet against that. A team traded a first for Bradford. A team traded two first for Cutler. A team traded a first and a second for a retired Carson Palmer. A team traded the #34 pick and a future second for Alex Smith. 

Regardless, I don't really care about conclusory and speculative statements about what NFL GMs would or wouldn't do. I'll take my chances with Goff going forward. He at least still has potential. Stafford is in the twilight of his career and still has never become a top 10 QB. He's a middle of the pack guy who doesn't deliver when it matters. 

If the Rams could have gotten a 1st round pick (or a 3rd round pick, or a 6th round pick) from ANY team in the NFL for Goff,  they wouldn't have had to essentially toss in a 1st round pick for someone to take him off their hands.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 2:15 PM, fortdetroit said:

If the Rams could have gotten a 1st round pick (or a 3rd round pick, or a 6th round pick) from ANY team in the NFL for Goff,  they wouldn't have had to essentially toss in a 1st round pick for someone to take him off their hands.

And now that we know the other deals the Lions had on the table, it's quite clear that the Rams not only did not toss in an extra first for the Lions to take him, but the Lions actually valued him somewhere in the late first to second round range.

• Like 1