Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

10 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm not either. And I'm certainly not a fan of moving up as high as it would take to get him. 

Frankly, I'm not a fan of any QBs or schemes that put an emphasis on QB running. I hope McVay learned something from the Seattle game of how stupid that QB power was with Wolford. It's too risky of a play to get 5 yards. The only people I feel differently for that are Lamar and Kyler who are so fast that they can actually protect themselves from contact. Obviously you want mobility when a play breaks down but designed runs are unnecessary QB hits. 

That played should have been flagged. It would of been if it was a bigger name. And it was the playoffs, you dont slide there.

Mahomes ran the same play last week. He will likely run again this week. Just keeping the defense honest and playing with your QB's full skill set.

Also, Goff had a career high 51 rush attempts this year and 4 rush TDs. Most were scheduled. He's just not overly athletic.McVay seems interested in exploring this concept more, its why he spoke so highly of Wolford.

Edited by BStanRamFan

22 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

That played should have been flagged. It would of been if it was a bigger name. And it was the playoffs, you dont slide there.

Mahomes ran the same play last week. He will likely run again this week. Just keeping the defense honest and playing with your QB's full skill set.

Also, Goff had a career high 51 rush attempts this year and 4 rush TDs. Most were scheduled. He's just not overly athletic.McVay seems interested in exploring this concept more, its why he spoke so highly of Wolford.

It should have been flagged but it's not even close to an even trade-off. We'd rather have had a healthy Wolford than the 5 yards + 15 yard penalty there. That type of hit happens all the time where a QB slides or dives late enough and a defender cannot react. 

How many of Goff's 51 designed rushing attempts though were just QB sneaks? I feel much better about those hits than when you are getting defenders running at full speed.

Mahomes last week is one of the worst examples to bring up. They literally almost got bounced by a vastly inferior team by calling a designed QB run. That Chiefs call was 3rd and 1. I think they could have picked up that first without having their already injured QB running the option.

I think McVay can stop exploring the concept unless we have a super quick QB like Kyler or Lamar. I'd also consider the idea in 3rd and shorts/redzones if you have a huge body like Cam or Allen but I still think you are putting too much risk of injury. But Wolford doesn't fall into either type and made it less than 5 quarters. He's more athletic than Goff but he is still significantly less athletic than every defender. There's normally not an easier way to lose a game than playing with your backup QB. McVay was inviting that against Seattle. FWIW, McVay said after the Seattle game he was kicking himself for calling that Wolford designed run. So I think he concurred it wasn't wise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It should have been flagged but it's not even close to an even trade-off. We'd rather have had a healthy Wolford than the 5 yards + 15 yard penalty there. That type of hit happens all the time where a QB slides or dives late enough and a defender cannot react. 

How many of Goff's 51 designed rushing attempts though were just QB sneaks? I feel much better about those hits than when you are getting defenders running at full speed.

Mahomes last week is one of the worst examples to bring up. They literally almost got bounced by a vastly inferior team by calling a designed QB run. That Chiefs call was 3rd and 1. I think they could have picked up that first without having their already injured QB running the option.

I think McVay can stop exploring the concept unless we have a super quick QB like Kyler or Lamar. I'd also consider the idea in 3rd and shorts/redzones if you have a huge body like Cam or Allen but I still think you are putting too much risk of injury. But Wolford doesn't fall into either type and made it less than 5 quarters. He's more athletic than Goff but he is still significantly less athletic than every defender. There's normally not an easier way to lose a game than playing with your backup QB. McVay was inviting that against Seattle. FWIW, McVay said after the Seattle game he was kicking himself for calling that Wolford designed run. So I think he concurred it wasn't wise.

I dont know how many were sneaks, but he was bootlegging an awful lot this season and breaking for the sidelined on short yardage situation to pick up first downs. Point is, McVay likes having some sort of mobility in his QBs. We saw it with Goffs increased rushes this year, we saw it in his comments about why he likes Wolford. So I imagine if he's drafting a QB, they will have some sort of athleticism. Doesnt have to be Kyler/Lamar level, but if we're running PA passes most downs, he wants someone to be able to take off if that's what the defense gives us.

Mahomes injury actually came more from him getting choked out then head hitting the ground. Henne took off for 14 yards a few series later. Mahomes will run again this weekend. So whether you like that example or not, the play calling will not change. Having that *option* with your QB is becoming increasingly valuable in todays NFL.

Mentioned above, this is something McVay is clearly interested in so while you might want him to stop exploring it, I don't see that happening.. He spoke very highly of Bryce Perkins last camp, Wolford received praise. Let's see  who we draft

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I dont know how many were sneaks, but he was bootlegging an awful lot this season and breaking for the sidelined on short yardage situation to pick up first downs. Point is, McVay likes having some sort of mobility in his QBs. We saw it with Goffs increased rushes this year, we saw it in his comments about why he likes Wolford. So I imagine if he's drafting a QB, they will have some sort of athleticism. Doesnt have to be Kyler/Lamar level, but if we're running PA passes most downs, he wants someone to be able to take off if that's what the defense gives us.

I'm for this too but to be clear, these aren't designed runs. Wolford didn't have the option to throw on the play he got hurt on. It was a QB power.

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Mahomes injury actually came more from him getting choked out then head hitting the ground. Henne took off for 14 yards a few series later. Mahomes will run again this weekend. So whether you like that example or not, the play calling will not change. Having that *option* with your QB is becoming increasingly valuable in todays NFL.

The Henne play wasn't a designed run, the Mahomes one was. The danger of a designed run is you already have so many people around the LOS that haven't dropped back to cover the pass. It makes it significantly harder to pick up yardage if you are still going to slide and protect yourself. Mahomes couldn't slide on that play or else he'd risk being short. It was obviously a fluke play but it very nearly cost the Chiefs the season when I'm sure they could have converted that 3rd and 1 with any other play call. Or they could have punted and been up 9 with your starting QB. That's a much better outcome than getting the first but having to play with Henne for the rest of the game.

9 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Mentioned above, this is something McVay is clearly interested in so while you might want him to stop exploring it, I don't see that happening.. He spoke very highly of Bryce Perkins last camp, Wolford received praise. Let's see  who we draft

I'm not against mobile QBs. All things being equal then obviously you prefer the guy who can create plays with their legs to run for the first or escape the pocket and throw down field. But I don't want my QB getting hurt and the more designed runs you call for the QB the more likely they will get hurt. 

30 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm not against mobile QBs. All things being equal then obviously you prefer the guy who can create plays with their legs to run for the first or escape the pocket and throw down field. But I don't want my QB getting hurt and the more designed runs you call for the QB the more likely they will get hurt. 

Then maybe we take the Bills route. Josh Allen this season ran the ball significantly less then the previous year and really improved as passer. However, come playoff time his legs became a weapon again. BEFORE Moss was injured in round 1, Josh Allen already had 7-8+ rushes and 40+ yards. Point is, save it for when it counts. Allen will likely have 7-12 rushes this weekend. It's too valubale a skillset to not utilize when it matters and sets things up in the passing game. 

11 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

I still think Watson will never happen, but Stafford is now available. Curious what a package for Stafford would look like and keep in mind our former head of scouting is now their GM. I'm assuming he scouted Goff before drafting.

Goff + 3rd for Stafford? Not sure how the money would work or what his market would look like. Have to assume Colts, Saints, and NE will show interest.

12 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Ok so this is just craziness. How is Ramsey disrespecting Goff? Watson is a top 3 QB in the NFL. He is a superstar. Even Goff knows that. Ill give you a perfect example. Im a Nets fan and there was no secret that KD wanted Harden. The Nets traded both LeVert and Allen both are young up and coming stars for an already superstar top 5 player in the NBA. Did Allen or LeVert feel disrespected? Probably but nobody made a big deal about it. Hell even Allen said he wouldve made that trade. Thats what separates the NBA from the NFL. The NFL is so sensitive. The NBA is where LeBron can say "go get me Davis" and the Lakers can trade Ingram, Ball, and other young potential talents and nobody is making a huge deal about it. Again I dont think Ramsey is disrespecting Goff. Who doesnt want Watson? Outside of the Chiefs with Mahomes every team if they could should throw their name into the mix for Watson and that includes the Jags who could get what most people think in Lawrence the best prospect since maybe Luck. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I still think Watson will never happen, but Stafford is now available. Curious what a package for Stafford would look like and keep in mind our former head of scouting is now their GM. I'm assuming he scouted Goff before drafting.

Goff + 3rd for Stafford? Not sure how the money would work or what his market would look like. Have to assume Colts, Saints, and NE will show interest.

No way Lions take Goff and a third. It would have to be Goff and at least a second plus maybe a 3rd/4th

7 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

No way Lions take Goff and a third. It would have to be Goff and at least a second plus maybe a 3rd/4th

God help us if we're stupid enough to do that. Trading Goff + anything for Stafford would be just like this franchise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

God help us if we're stupid enough to do that. Trading Goff + anything for Stafford would be just like this franchise. 

I agree. I don’t think Stafford is an upgrade over Goff. I would rather invest into OL and WR at that point 

if we move on from Goff then I would like it to be a more mobile QB

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I agree. I don’t think Stafford is an upgrade over Goff. I would rather invest into OL and WR at that point 

if we move on from Goff then I would like it to be a more mobile QB

Exactly.

Larry Warford or a 2nd round OL prospect

+

A mid-round speedster or a cheaper WR FA (Tyrell Williams, Sammy Watkins, DeSean Jackson, etc.)

And we're cooking again imo. There's no good reason to trade for a QB in the twilight of his career who is at best slightly better than Goff and could actually be a downgrade if Goff progresses going into his prime window.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

That would be a little rich for my blood, but depends what else the Lions could fetch on the market. Stafford will be saught after on a team that's a QB away. I'd see Stafford as a big upgrade over Goff so hopefully Les Snead is doing some digging. 

So we always trade for players when we need them.. this team is not afraid to pull the trigger on some big names. We all know that. But I can’t believe that we can’t pull the trigger on Watson, Rodgers, or even trade up like we did with Goff because of the Cap and still not having a first round pick this year (which I’m ok with since we got Jalen). I actually feel like if Rodgers decided to leave, which is definitely possible right now.. he would love to play 20 minutes from home with the Rams. But we literally can’t even if we wanted to. I feel like if we didn’t have Goff and his contract, Watson of Rodgers would be a Ram going into next season. This isn’t hate on Goff lol but damn.