Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

30 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I don't see how it even an option to cut him loose right now. From that I can tell, there's 65.5M dead cap at this point. I would look to me like they'd have to give it one more year at minimum.

There's much less dead cap if it's a trade. That's the only way he's not on the team next year. 

22 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

There's much less dead cap if it's a trade. That's the only way he's not on the team next year. 

That is true. Even then, the team receiving him would be responsible for way to large of a cap hit to make it worth it. Especially given the 2021 cap situation.

I think a lot of people are getting way ahead of themselves. Rodgers isn’t going anywhere this year, and its unlikely that Watson is either. This isn’t the NBA, guys don’t force their ways out of good situations just because. Stafford is probably the only big name guy who will be on the move (I say probably because Houston is a wildcard, but when it comes down to it, its still unlikely)

• Like 1

I can get behind the Watson excitement and he'd be worth mortgaging the future for, but Rodgers would be too risky. We'd potentially be trading picks in year's where Rodgers isn't on the team. And let's not forget most people that are desperate to move on from Goff want a mobile QB. While Rodgers is more mobile than Goff, he still has some struggles without an elite OL. He'd be an upgrade but if he came here behind our current OL we wouldn't be getting MVP Rodgers.

32 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

according to schefter and silver both qbs are on their way out of houston and green bay.

How do you guys not see that QB rumors in the NFL drive more clicks that ANYTHING else in the sports world. So if Schefter says “as many as 20 QBs could be on the move” its nothing but clicks for him. And when its half of that, he can go back and say “things just didn’t line up” or “cooler heads prevailed” there is no one that is going to hold him accountable for saying that. 

Because if it is true, it will be the WILDEST NFL Offseason EVER, and by a wide margin. All while the Owners are crying poor from COVID (not saying it isn’t legitimate) and at best having a Flat cap from this year.

So lets get back to reality for a second;

• Josh Allen
  • Baker Mayfield
  • Lamar Jackson
  • Joe Burrow
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Patrick Mahomes
  • Derek Carr
  • Justin Herbert
  • Carson Wentz
  • Daniel Jones
  • Kirk Cousins
  • Tom Brady
  • Matt Ryan
  • Kyler Murray
  • Russell Wilson

That’s 15 right there, and unless Brady Retires after winning another SB, it’s mathematically impossible for it to be “over 18” new Starting QBs. Not to mention he seems to be counting Fitzpatrick as the starter and not Tua. Then if Ben wants to come back that another for sure, if the Cowboys pay Dak (as we’ve all assumed) thats another

In reality there are 7 for sure new starting QBs (NE, IND, JAX, WFT, CHI, DET, NO) Two of them are due to retirement, and honestly the Bears could end up with Mitch again, and if the Colts take another chance with Jacoby, thats not technically new either. With another handful  up in the air (NYJ, PIT, DEN, CAR) that could easily make moves, and another handful that would need the perfect situation to present itself, and still have to work some magic because of the cap implications (LAR, SF, GB, HOU, MIA) But that situation can really only happen to like one or 2 of those teams, not all.

So sure, there are 17 teams that COULD make a change at QB, but there aren’t enough QBs for that, and while some teams are stupid, not all of them are. But “its fun” so lets all pretend we turned off the settings in Madden

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I can get behind the Watson excitement and he'd be worth mortgaging the future for, but Rodgers would be too risky. We'd potentially be trading picks in year's where Rodgers isn't on the team. And let's not forget most people that are desperate to move on from Goff want a mobile QB. While Rodgers is more mobile than Goff, he still has some struggles without an elite OL. He'd be an upgrade but if he came here behind our current OL we wouldn't be getting MVP Rodgers.

Even non-MVP level Rodgers would likely get us in the NFCCG given our defense. Hes familiar with the system and clearly likes it, I just think he lost alot of respect for LaFleuer yesterday. I'd welcome Watson, Stafford, or Rodgers with open arms and trust Les Snead to not jeopardize the teams long-term future to do it. Clearly we've had sustainable success with no 1st round picks. It's truly a testament to our coaching and scouting staff that we've replenish from mid rounds and remained competitive.

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

Even non-MVP level Rodgers would likely get us in the NFCCG given our defense. Hes familiar with the system and clearly likes it, I just think he lost alot of respect for LaFleuer yesterday. I'd welcome Watson, Stafford, or Rodgers with open arms and trust Les Snead to not jeopardize the teams long-term future to do it. Clearly we've had sustainable success with no 1st round picks. It's truly a testament to our coaching and scouting staff that we've replenish from mid rounds and remained competitive.

Not if our defense gives up 32 in the divisional round like they did this year. My point is more that winning a SB requires quite a bit of luck. It's not worth it to me to mortgage the future for what I see as a 2 year chance. I'd mortgage for Watson because that is closer to 8+ years. I think the difference between prior trades and Rodgers is the outlook was always more than 2 years.

Goff: traded multiple picks for but has been our QB for multiple years. Good trade, you can debate extension but the trade was a win.

Watkins: traded a 2nd, got 1 year of fairly disappointing production but got a 3rd rounder back as a comp pick

Fowler: traded 3rd and 5th, got 1.5 years of production and get 3rd back as comp pick

Cooks: traded 1st, got 1 year of great production and then cut losses for a 2nd. Bad extension but I think good trade.

Peters: traded a 2nd, got inconsistent play and flipped for a 5th and Kenny Young. Probably in retrospect the worst trade but he had a great 2018 postseason.

Ramsey: traded 2 firsts but have elite CB play for the foreseeable future.

So while all of those trades were made with short-term goals in mind, they were also done knowing that there were comp picks coming in the future or potential to flip the asset for something else. Rodgers wouldn't give us that. We'd potentially be paying picks after he was done playing. If we had a more complete roster then I think it may make sense but I don't see our 2021 roster being better than the Packers roster this year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Not if our defense gives up 32 in the divisional round like they did this year. My point is more that winning a SB requires quite a bit of luck. It's not worth it to me to mortgage the future for what I see as a 2 year chance. I'd mortgage for Watson because that is closer to 8+ years. I think the difference between prior trades and Rodgers is the outlook was always more than 2 years.

Goff: traded multiple picks for but has been our QB for multiple years. Good trade, you can debate extension but the trade was a win.

Watkins: traded a 2nd, got 1 year of fairly disappointing production but got a 3rd rounder back as a comp pick

Fowler: traded 3rd and 5th, got 1.5 years of production and get 3rd back as comp pick

Cooks: traded 1st, got 1 year of great production and then cut losses for a 2nd. Bad extension but I think good trade.

Peters: traded a 2nd, got inconsistent play and flipped for a 5th and Kenny Young. Probably in retrospect the worst trade but he had a great 2018 postseason.

Ramsey: traded 2 firsts but have elite CB play for the foreseeable future.

So while all of those trades were made with short-term goals in mind, they were also done knowing that there were comp picks coming in the future or potential to flip the asset for something else. Rodgers wouldn't give us that. We'd potentially be paying picks after he was done playing. If we had a more complete roster then I think it may make sense but I don't see our 2021 roster being better than the Packers roster this year. 

I agree with your assessment of the trades above with long and short term goal in mind. I do think if we had a healthy Donald and apply pressure to Rodgers we would see a better result than this year where he was pressured 3x the entire game vs yesterday where TB lived in the backfield.

I think our 2020 roster has more high end talent then the 2020 Packers, where they were more evenly dispersed. 2021 will be interesting to see who we bring back vs bring in before I make the judgement, but I actually really like our roster and truly think we are just a QB away from getting over the hump. 

12 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Stop dreaming about getting a trade for a new QB, it's not gonna happen, deal with it. 

Rodgers is a diva, he likes to have the center of attention in the media but he's going nowhere. 

Imagine getting bashed for branding your name and getting it out there by people you don’t even know personally lmao Rodgers came into the league and was immediately hated by fans because Favre was there and was even hated BY Favre. Then he ends up starting and becomes a great QB. This whole “Diva” crap is so hilarious when it’s said about Rodgers. He’s one of the best and is competitive. Rumors always had it one way.. but players never argued that he’s an awesome teammate. He said things like “my down years are career years for most” and you were probably one of the softies to cry about it. But it’s true first of all.. and second of all he’s a man and he’s competing In the nfl... what’s so insane to say that? Especially after being hated his whole career?? He can’t stand up for himself? He can’t be cocky or talk crap? He’s a terrible person if he does?? Lmao now he’s involved in a show weekly because he ENJOYS IT and it makes him happy... so YOU have a problem with it lmaooo such a soft world we live in. People who have regular jobs and don’t make millions like he does will find a way to hate though. You’re also one that cries that Goff has no soul or fire inside to lead a team but bash the dude that you wish Goff would be

8 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Imagine getting bashed for branding your name and getting it out there by people you don’t even know personally lmao Rodgers came into the league and was immediately hated by fans because Favre was there and was even hated BY Favre. Then he ends up starting and becomes a great QB. This whole “Diva” crap is so hilarious when it’s said about Rodgers. He’s one of the best and is competitive. Rumors always had it one way.. but players never argued that he’s an awesome teammate. He said things like “my down years are career years for most” and you were probably one of the softies to cry about it. But it’s true first of all.. and second of all he’s a man and he’s competing In the nfl... what’s so insane to say that? Especially after being hated his whole career?? He can’t stand up for himself? He can’t be cocky or talk crap? He’s a terrible person if he does?? Lmao now he’s involved in a show weekly because he ENJOYS IT and it makes him happy... so YOU have a problem with it lmaooo such a soft world we live in. People who have regular jobs and don’t make millions like he does will find a way to hate though. You’re also one that cries that Goff has no soul or fire inside to lead a team but bash the dude that you wish Goff would be

It's well documented that Rodgers is not as a good guy as media want him to be.

He rarely took the blame on his bad performance and always pointing others people for the failure. 

Just read this article :

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Bleacher report is a joke 98% of the time. Rodgers had a great game yesterday. Rodgers had a phenomenal year. Rodgers had his team draft a dude to replace him and had an out on his contract so he’s a criminal for potentially thinking about his own future? He hasn’t been loyal enough to that organization that never went out and got him help??? You wouldn’t be annoyed if that was you? The dude got screwed so many times in championship Games. Yesterday was no different. 

EDIT:

@Flounch forgot to quote you lol not sure if I can now

Edited by MDY10

While it is true that I would never call Rodgers an angel or anything like that, and he is very smug/smarmy, I’m not sure last night was about that.

I think he was just sending a message to the FO that you have one more shot at this, and laying the ground work for the fans now, so when he does ask to move next offseason 2021 felt more like “one last ride” than being slapped in the face and leaving with a bad tase in their mouths.

He will likely be the QB for someone else other than the Packers for the 2022 season, heck it may even be us. But all of this stuff about it all happening this offseason just seems unlikely (unless he and LaFluer are so mad at each other over one game that they cant make it work)

• Like 1