15 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

ok, so we need to motivate Mike to adjust the Rookie pool real time  .. should create some relief ...

I'm pretty sure that amount isn't calculating in the cap.    It's just a baseline of how much your rookies would cost.    The actual amount doesn't get added until the rookie is added to the roster.

6 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Why skip on Sorensen? Just because I made a suggetsion that isn't financially feasible right now?

I want to bid on him this round.    I'm good with keeping the bid,     I think 3rd Safety is our weakest spot right now (at least from having anyone there).  Kalu is a good ST'er,  but he's not on Sorensen's level.   

I'm good with whatever  you,  onejay, and King want to do  as far as Sorensen goes.    Signing him would prevent us from doing anything in FA moving forward,      which I personally am okay with.    But it's up to all you,  I just removed it since it sounded like you wanted an OLB and jay said to hold off.

6 picks until we're up in the draft again.   Recent picks;  @onejayhawk @KC_Guy @kingseanjohn

41 RB       D-0413 Travis Etienne RB
42 ILB       D-0315 Nick Bolton OLB
43 C       D-0269 Landon Dickerson C
44 C       D-0096 Creed Humphrey C
45 WR       D-0363 Rondale Moore WR
46 ILB       D-0033 Baron Browning ILB
47 RG       D-0426 Trey Smith G
48 43DE       D-0329 Patrick Jones DE
49 C       D-0233 Josh Myers C
50 43DE       D-0215 Jayson Oweh DE
51 WR       D-0147 Elijah Moore WR
52 RT       D-0196 James Hudson T
53 34OLB       D-0222 Joe Tryon OLB
54 LT       D-0373 Samuel Cosmi T
55 34DT       D-0014 Alim McNeill DT
56 RT       D-0440 Walker Little T
57         D-0401 Teven Jenkins T

Draft Boards in the first post are updated.

LB:  Cameron McGrone,  Pete Werner
OT: Dillon Radunz, Liam Eichenberg
TE: Brevin Jordan
WR: Nico Collins, Tylan Wallace, Amon-Ra St. Brown
S:  Andre Cisco

I think I'd rank them;

Radunz
McGrone
Jordan
Werner
Eichenberg
Cisco

I don't really like any of the WR options at this point in the draft.   

Thoughts?

We are now 3rd up. I am good with Redunz, McGrone, Warner, Eichenburg as the stack. Warner not so much. 

Some Comments for round #3:

• At this point, Shaun Wade is an option. 
  • I would be OK with Yeboah instead of Jordan, even in round #2
  • If we don't take either Radunz or Eichenburg, we will not be getting a starter from this draft. Time to ease off. 
  • Quinn Meinerz is clear down at #368. Don't forget him. 
  • WR Smith-Marsette is a good one
Edited by onejayhawk

My top four:

Radunz - Not BPA imo, but a decent blend of BPA and need

McGrone - Should play some but real value is in year 2-3+

Samuel Jr. - Value pick, I think the Brandon Flowers comparison fits

Chazz Surratt - Like McGrone, real value will be in year 2-3+

With a bit more time on my hands today, a quick rundown through all positions. Where I feel more consideration is needed I'Ll go into more detail. The set/not set - ruling refers to the 2021 season, however, even a "set" ruling doesn not rule out considering an player at the position if a really good one becomes available:

QB - set. Wouldn't mind considering a late pick on a developmental prospect to become the heir to Chad Henne. But really an afterthought, nothing to plan for.

RB - set. But you never rule out a developmental prospect in the later rounds. If so I'd lok more for potentail than immediate impact.

WR - not set. Hill, Hardman, Golden - and then? I don't trust Hardman as a constant factor, and I'm not sure what Tate has left. The departure of Robinson and Watkins left two holes,of which only one was filled so far. While Robinson is still out there in FA I think there are more pressing needs to bring in a vet presence. So at minimum a #3/4 WR is needed, I'd say it should actually be the #2 unless you bet on Tate.

TE - set. Kelce and hollister provide a nice #1/#2 team.

OT - somewhat set. Niang, Leno, Remmers. Rankin may provide depth. I don't want Remmers to start. He'd be a weak spot any opponent would target in game planning. I'm fine with him as the swing guy though. Niang is an unknown with over a year off the field. Leno was a nice addition settling one spot (he played LT so far). If you're fine with betting on any combination of Niang/Remmers on the other side consider the position set for starters at least - I'm not really convinced this is the best solution.

IOL - not set. I'll combine OG and C here because there are some interdependencies. If you look at the depth chart OG might be set with Allegretti and LDT plus Durant. But what does LDT bring to the table after a year off in a full time job elsewhere? Depth oin any case is an issue here. At C there's the big hole. Kilgore is a poor man's solution who may hold down the fort. But he was unable to beat out an healthy Reiter, whom many though of as sub-par. Thus here improvement is definitely needed. Two options: moving Allegretti to C creating a hole at starting OG, or going for a starting C proper. In any case, in each and every round from now on a possible solution for this issue should be considered until the issue is fixed. It may be thrown out considering other players, but I'd rather think about a concrete solution before doing so.

DT - set. Basically the old crew returns with the addition of Tupou. I think Wharton will grow even further.

DE - set. Same as inside, the old crew return with the addition of 1st round pick Carlos Basham.

LB - not set. Gay, Hitchens, Wilson, with Whitehead and DOD behind. I don't really know what to make out that crew. Gay showed glimpses, then disappeared. He has room (and time) to grow. Hitchens came along late in the season but also disappeared for some plays. And Wilson I hardly noticed on the field (what actually may be a good thing but I don't know). I'd like someone to bring fire to the unit as DJ did in his hayday, or like Mathieu does for the DBs.

CB - somewhat set. West, Sneed, Fenton, Kirkpatrick, BoPete. It may look good at first glance but I'm not really happy with it. At least two of the starters (West and Fenton) had their ups and downs. A bit more consistency would be nice. Furthermorer West is on a RFA contract, probably departing next year.

S - set. With Sorensen back it's the old team and one of the best units I think the Chiefs have. Adding some developmental depth may be the way to go here.

ST - set. The old unit returns. Townsend may be on probation after his performance in the Superbowl. Hope it doesn't affect his psyche in any way.

Conclusion: I'd like to see a solution for all positions considered not set or somewhat set being discussed prior to making a decision on the next pick. If we throw out one or two early on because we determine the value is not there - be my guest. I'm all for a not-need oriented draft. But needs cannot be ignored and we need to balance covering a need against potentially getting a better player. This discussion should include considerations on how to cover remaining needs.

Edited by KC_Guy

JUst checked the next round of FA: OLB Malcolm Smith now down to 1080000$ (vet min) with no signing Bonus. Considering he'll push out a 800 k$ guy according to the sheet linked in the OP) and 400 k$ in available cap I think it might be possible now. He won't get any cheaper ...

I think we all agree on the main needs and our top guys reflect that.     We have a good mix of best value and need going.      I would say WR and C,   are the two we could use the most help at year one.   (Losing Pringle to 8 Mil a year killed us,   but no way is he worth that).   Luckily we have 4 picks in the next 30ish picks,   and we can do some damage here.

WR

BPA:   Amon-ra St. Brown,    Tylan Wallace,  Nico Collins
Scheme:  Josh Imatorbhebe,   Josh Palmer, Jonathan Adams Jr. , Dez Fitzpatrick, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Cornell Powell.   

This is tough,   as it's probably our most immediate need.   Though none of the top guys really fit what we're missing.   Brown/Wallace are in that Tate/Hardman skill set.  Collins is massive,  I don't really like how he fits into the offense though.     I really like the first 4 on the scheme fits,   Fitzpatrick probably the most.   I wouldn't take any of them this early though.

IOL

BPA:   Deonte Brown,  Quinn Meinerz, Trey Hill

Scheme:  Drake Jackson, Quinn Meinerz, David Moore, Ryan McCollum.

Deonte Brown is probably the only guy I'd take in this range and he's a G only.   This is the one spot,   if go to fill immediate need.   We would be reaching.    McCollum is a guy,  I think, is being slept on.    Especially from a skillset fit with the Chiefs.    I like all of the 4 guys at the bottom, but it's still too early for them imo also.

LB 

BPA:  Cameron McGrone, Chazz Surratt, Jabril Cox

Scheme:  The above 3,   Monty Rice,  Jamin Davis

I'm comfortable with Cameron McGrone in this range.    I think he's versatile enough,  could play some WLB and possibly eventually move over to MLB.   The rest I'm not sure I would take in the 2nd,   but are definitely options moving foward.   As well as a couple Ohio State guys.    I like the coverage LB's in this draft,   MLB's not so much.

OT

BPA:  Dillon Radunz,  Liam Eichenberg , Jackson Carman

Scheme:  Carson Green,  Josh Ball, Jaylon Moore,  D'ante Smith

Like Jay said,    if we want a OT to push for PT this year.   This is the round.    Radunz/Eichenberg are right in this spot.   I personally like Carman,  but can definitely see why people don't like him for KC.     Jaylon Moore/D'ante Smith would be later guys,  that are more darts.   

CB

BPA:  Asante Samuel Jr. , Kelvin Joseph,  Eric Stokes, Greg Newsome

Scheme:   The above 4,    Paulson Adebo,  Bryce Thompson

I really like the middle rounds of this CB class,   The top tier is alone and than theirs a big gap.   There are a ton in that 2nd gap though.    I think this is a position we can sit tight and take a guy when we have no one else at the top of our board.     

With another 2,  3 3rd's, and a 4th.   I think we're sitting pretty.

Personally I would take Cameron McGrone here,  and see what it would cost to trade up.   

If we can push one of those 3rd's, with using 5th or later.    We could essentially pull.

2nd:  Cameron McGrone
Trade up:  Dillon Radunz/Liam/Carman
3rd:  IOL/WR/CB
3rd: IOL/WR/CB
4th: IOL/WR/CB

We have 2 5ths, 2 6ths,  and a 7th.      Even with the trade up,  I think we'd be sitting nice.

14 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

JUst checked the next round of FA: OLB Malcolm Smith now down to 1080000$ (vet min) with no signing Bonus. Considering he'll push out a 800 k$ guy according to the sheet linked in the OP) and 400 k$ in available cap I think it might be possible now. He won't get any cheaper ...

Yeah.... so I may have messed up.        Any signing bonus is getting calculated into the Total cap,   regardless if it's below the Top 51 contracts.   So essentially all of our draft picks are going to cost towards the cap.   Not saying I agree with it,   but that's how it's set up.

Here's what we have:  

TOP 51 Cap Space $472,808

And this is what it will take for the balance of our rookies:

Signing Bonus Cap Hit    
Ovrall: 63 | 2ND Rnd. - Pick: 31 $224,128 $884,128 780000 $104,128
Ovrall: 82 | 3RD Rnd. - Pick: 19 $152,182 $812,182 780000 $32,182
Ovrall: 83 | 3RD Rnd. - Pick: 20 $150,147 $810,147 780000 $30,147
Ovrall: 94 | 3RD Rnd. - Pick: 31 $137,882 $797,882 780000 $17,882
Ovrall: 143 | 4TH Rnd. - Pick: 39 $79,519 $739,519   $79,519
Ovrall: 163 | 5TH Rnd. - Pick: 19 $49,538 $709,538   $49,538
Ovrall: 179 | 5TH Rnd. - Pick: 35 $38,244 $698,244   $38,244
Ovrall: 201 | 6TH Rnd. - Pick: 16 $27,740 $687,740   $27,740
Ovrall: 215 | 6TH Rnd. - Pick: 31 $24,073 $684,073   $24,073
Ovrall: 245 | 7TH Rnd. - Pick: 20 $14,183 $674,183   $14,183
        $417,636

So really...  we have about $55,172.     That we can go above 780k on.     Maybe slightly higher,  as with that amount of players added,   I think the Highest 51st player will jump about 5-10k.

I agree that there are no suitable WR for this pick. There is a spread of WR in the 75-100 range and we pick three times. We might get two then. 

I like Wallace for our system, but he's a project. Collins is a poor man's Kadarius Toney. Do we want that? I think Amon-Ra St Brown is overrated, literally because of his catchy name.

J

Edited by onejayhawk
42 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Yeah.... so I may have messed up.        Any signing bonus is getting calculated into the Total cap,   regardless if it's below the Top 51 contracts.   So essentially all of our draft picks are going to cost towards the cap.   Not saying I agree with it,   but that's how it's set up.

Here's what we have:  

TOP 51 Cap Space $472,808

And this is what it will take for the balance of our rookies:

Signing Bonus Cap Hit    
Ovrall: 63 | 2ND Rnd. - Pick: 31 $224,128 $884,128 780000 $104,128
Ovrall: 82 | 3RD Rnd. - Pick: 19 $152,182 $812,182 780000 $32,182
Ovrall: 83 | 3RD Rnd. - Pick: 20 $150,147 $810,147 780000 $30,147
Ovrall: 94 | 3RD Rnd. - Pick: 31 $137,882 $797,882 780000 $17,882
Ovrall: 143 | 4TH Rnd. - Pick: 39 $79,519 $739,519   $79,519
Ovrall: 163 | 5TH Rnd. - Pick: 19 $49,538 $709,538   $49,538
Ovrall: 179 | 5TH Rnd. - Pick: 35 $38,244 $698,244   $38,244
Ovrall: 201 | 6TH Rnd. - Pick: 16 $27,740 $687,740   $27,740
Ovrall: 215 | 6TH Rnd. - Pick: 31 $24,073 $684,073   $24,073
Ovrall: 245 | 7TH Rnd. - Pick: 20 $14,183 $674,183   $14,183
        $417,636

So really...  we have about $55,172.     That we can go above 780k on.     Maybe slightly higher,  as with that amount of players added,   I think the Highest 51st player will jump about 5-10k.

yeah, but the rookie pool will come off the balance - 6 M$ total

This is what the calculation of the remaining cap says:

IF(W2="<51",((W3-W4)-W5-W6)+W7-W8,((W3-W2)-W5-W6)+W7-W8)

with W8 being the rookie pool number ...

3 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

yeah, but the rookie pool will come off the balance - 6 M$ total

This is what the calculation of the remaining cap says:

IF(W2="<51",((W3-W4)-W5-W6)+W7-W8,((W3-W2)-W5-W6)+W7-W8)

with W8 being the rookie pool number ...

Talk to mike if you want, but we can’t bid if it goes negative 

Collins is 6’4 220.  I think you might be thinking of Amari Rodgers on the poor mans Toney.  
 I’m the opposite,  I don’t like Wallace that much,  maybe in the 4th round.  I love St. Brown,  but he’s more of the intermediate slot guy.   He doesn’t do much for replacing Watkins/Robinson