Michael Thomas likely to have ankle surgery

tyler735

Not surprised he clearly didn't look like himself after the injury in week 1 this year. He should be good to go for next season, and knowing his mentality, he will be coming back with a vengeance next season.

Edited by tyler735

Assuming we even have MT13 on the roster next year (lol) I'll be curious to see what more 'healthy' games with a non-Brees QB looks like. These 'slant boy' comments reminding me of Dez Bryant vs. Janoris Jenkins however many years ago (kinda ironic, you'd think Jenkins would cover Thomas in practice and maybe try to lock him down the same way and maybe start some beef).

I would never say Brees held Thomas back statistically because that's ridiculous. My point is, even though he's very much a possession receiver, I firmly believe he can excel in contested throws down the field. We've seen it from him before , but that's not really how he's used in this old man Brees offense these days. Under a different QB maybe Payton would be willing send him deeper/increase his average depth of target? His efficiency isn't going to sniff what it was with Brees of course but thems the breaks when you're asked to stretch the field/seams a little bit more.

• Like 1

Thomas will be fine... No suprise that hes having surgery. This offense will shock people in 2021. I believe Winston will be the guy and I also believe the Saints will target a dynamic downfield threat high in the draft. With a QB finally able to threaten the entire field and a playmaker oppsitte Thomas, Thomas and Kamara will continue to excel.

3 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Thomas will be fine... No suprise that hes having surgery. This offense will shock people in 2021. I believe Winston will be the guy and I also believe the Saints will target a dynamic downfield threat high in the draft. With a QB finally able to threaten the entire field and a playmaker oppsitte Thomas, Thomas and Kamara will continue to excel.

Do you think 3 firsts is enough to move up and draft Devonte Smith?

7 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Raves... You know im an LSU fan right? I have the absolute highest reguard for Jamar Chase and I think hes a top 10 pick all day.

Having said that Devante Smith is my favorite WR in this draft... But I aint giving up 3 1st for him!!! Lol

I thought that was the cost that Atlanta paid to get Julio Jones so I figured it'd cost something similar.  I wouldn't trade all that for him either.  I'd probably rather hope that Waddle falls due to still recovering from his injury.  There are several 1st round caliber WRs so hopefully one of them drops into the Saints hands.  Though we might already have the dynamic deep threat on the roster, just didn't get much time at WR since Brees couldn't hit him if he wanted to...

I'd be pissed if we spent a 1st round pick on a WR. I'd likely be mad about a 2nd round pick as well at this point, unless a legit 1st round talent fell for some reason to us. Think we can find a guy to stretch the field in the middle rounds if we go that route. That said I like our current WR room, so I don't think it's urgent we address it, but if a guy is there in the middle rounds why not I suppose. Still think Deonte Harris has some untapped potential that I want to see next year. Looked like he was going to take over that playoff game against the Bucs before getting hurt and was a weapon in the 1st playoff game as well.

Something urgent for example would be finding a replacement for Anzalone,  so he no longer has to start at LB for us. That Kwon Alexander injury hurt us quite a bit, and who knows if he will be healthy by next season and if we will be able to bring him back on a cheap deal. I would also say finding a Cook replacement, but I think we give Trautman some time to see if he can develop into a quality TE. Liked what I've seen so far from him.

52 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I'd be pissed if we spent a 1st round pick on a WR. I'd likely be mad about a 2nd round pick as well at this point, unless a legit 1st round talent fell for some reason to us. Think we can find a guy to stretch the field in the middle rounds if we go that route. That said I like our current WR room, so I don't think it's urgent we address it, but if a guy is there in the middle rounds why not I suppose. Still think Deonte Harris has some untapped potential that I want to see next year. Looked like he was going to take over that playoff game against the Bucs before getting hurt and was a weapon in the 1st playoff game as well.

Something urgent for example would be finding a replacement for Anzalone,  so he no longer has to start at LB for us. That Kwon Alexander injury hurt us quite a bit, and who knows if he will be healthy by next season and if we will be able to bring him back on a cheap deal. I would also say finding a Cook replacement, but I think we give Trautman some time to see if he can develop into a quality TE. Liked what I've seen so far from him.

Its not the receivers... It was Brees limitations. tre'quan showed me something in his last outing as well Harris. I do feel we need a young stud opposite Thomas but agreed that can be found in mid-rounds. ILB needs to be a position the Saints start valuing more come draft time. Teams that are solid here typically are stout defensively. Devin White changed that game, he was the best player on the field when the Saints offense and Bucs. Defense were going at it. Demario Davis is a stud but hes on. The back 9 for a linebacker.

Selling Brees a little short here.  The offense has still been top 2-5 the last several years.  It was one of the most efficient in history in 2018.  We simply ran the ball more than we used to.  Old man Brees problems were mostly down the stretch, and this past year he's looked old basically from week 1 on.

You have a lot of faith in Famous Jameis if you think the offense will be better than it was in 2018.

And I hope it will be.  I'm all for sitting back and watching Jameis get to the HoF in a Saints uniform.

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I love Brees but boy the field was compressed while he was out there. I do think that he is the primary reason the Saints could advance the past two seasons. Winston might be worse in the regular season but at least there is a ceiling for the playoffs. 

Let's get beyond Brees cause hes gone... We know what Winston is capable of and we have now seen Hill up close.

To me, between Winstons age, physical skill set and experience... Im taking Winston to be the guy moving fwd. 

You would hope that Payton would structure a offense around Winstons skill set allowing him to cut down on turnovers through play desgin and play calling. Yes he threw 30 ints... He also threw over 5k yards and 30 tds. Brees was not Brees before he arrived in NOLA. I think Winston has grown up alot, changed his approach, matured and absorbed alot from Brees in 2020. I think Payton owes it to the rest of the players to start the best QB possible not the guy he has a personal affinity for because hes such a great dude.

22 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Let's get beyond Brees cause hes gone... We know what Winston is capable of and we have now seen Hill up close.

To me, between Winstons age, physical skill set and experience... Im taking Winston to be the guy moving fwd. 

You would hope that Payton would structure a offense around Winstons skill set allowing him to cut down on turnovers through play desgin and play calling. Yes he threw 30 ints... He also threw over 5k yards and 30 tds. Brees was not Brees before he arrived in NOLA. I think Winston has grown up alot, changed his approach, matured and absorbed alot from Brees in 2020. I think Payton owes it to the rest of the players to start the best QB possible not the guy he has a personal affinity for because hes such a great dude.

He was also in an offense where the coach wants the QB to throw deep even if there is double coverage and would be upset if they didn't.  If you look at his previous years they are kinda similar to Brees' years in San Diego outside of that last year in Arians offense.  Winston obviously has the talent, but I just don't know how they'll find the money to sign him to a long term deal, let alone resign him period for next year if any team offers him close to a starter contract.  Though his lack of playing time this year and Brady "looking good in Arian's offense" might keep his price low but I'm not sure.

8 minutes ago, Raves said:

He was also in an offense where the coach wants the QB to throw deep even if there is double coverage and would be upset if they didn't.  If you look at his previous years they are kinda similar to Brees' years in San Diego outside of that last year in Arians offense.  Winston obviously has the talent, but I just don't know how they'll find the money to sign him to a long term deal, let alone resign him period for next year if any team offers him close to a starter contract.  Though his lack of playing time this year and Brady "looking good in Arian's offense" might keep his price low but I'm not sure.

Oh you don't break the bank on Winston or even give him a long term deal. You offer him a 1 year prove it deal... if he balks you go into 2021 with Taysom Hill as the starter and  an eye towards the 2022 draft class.

My deal with Winston is, will be able to consistently play at the level he’s capable of and required for Payton’s offense.  There’s no doubt he’ll have some 400/4 games, but will he generally do it consistently.  Everyone has bad games, that’s not what I’m worried about, I just wonder what he’ll average out to over the course of a season.

Not comparing him to the GOAT, but truth is, Brady wasn’t goat level this year.  He crapped the bed a lot, but Tampa’s receivers were stacked which enabled them to get it done.  Jameis had some incredible receivers and still turned the ball over 40+ times.   We can’t blame it all on Arians, some of it was just Jameis making horrible decisions.

I can’t wait to see how he progresses honestly, after studying behind Brees and Payton for a solid year.  I’m more excited for this upcoming season than I’ve been on a while really.