Michael Thomas likely to have ankle surgery

tyler735

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

My deal with Winston is, will be able to consistently play at the level he’s capable of and required for Payton’s offense.  There’s no doubt he’ll have some 400/4 games, but will he generally do it consistently.  Everyone has bad games, that’s not what I’m worried about, I just wonder what he’ll average out to over the course of a season.

Not comparing him to the GOAT, but truth is, Brady wasn’t goat level this year.  He crapped the bed a lot, but Tampa’s receivers were stacked which enabled them to get it done.  Jameis had some incredible receivers and still turned the ball over 40+ times.   We can’t blame it all on Arians, some of it was just Jameis making horrible decisions.

I can’t wait to see how he progresses honestly, after studying behind Brees and Payton for a solid year.  I’m more excited for this upcoming season than I’ve been on a while really.

The thing is Winston will have weaknesses... Most quarterbacks do. Its not like the Saints are gonna give him a massive deal to come back. They will likley offer him a 2 year deal that basically pays him 2-3 million in the 1st year and a backloaded 2nd year thats voidable.

If he accepts it then he competes with Hill for the starting gig. Even if he loses that battle in training camp, Hill can fall on his face next year and Winston gets inserted possibly. 

For the Saints... What are your options? Its Hill, Winston or a draft pick. Hill will already be on the roster so most assume its him. Winston is the best option in FA that the Saints might be able to sign, then the 28th pick or even a trade up at best get you what... Trey Lance, maybe?

2021 will be a trial run season IMO.

5 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

My deal with Winston is, will be able to consistently play at the level he’s capable of and required for Payton’s offense.  There’s no doubt he’ll have some 400/4 games, but will he generally do it consistently.  Everyone has bad games, that’s not what I’m worried about, I just wonder what he’ll average out to over the course of a season.

Not comparing him to the GOAT, but truth is, Brady wasn’t goat level this year.  He crapped the bed a lot, but Tampa’s receivers were stacked which enabled them to get it done.  Jameis had some incredible receivers and still turned the ball over 40+ times.   We can’t blame it all on Arians, some of it was just Jameis making horrible decisions.

I can’t wait to see how he progresses honestly, after studying behind Brees and Payton for a solid year.  I’m more excited for this upcoming season than I’ve been on a while really.

A few things about Winston, and why I'm convinced we're going to see a huge difference in production.

A) I actually feel sorry for Winston. He was drafted to a crap team (obvious as they were picking #1) and then had 3 different head coaches, no continuity etc...

B) The guy is slim. He shaved off over 20lbs since leaving the Buccs, and it shows. That's not child's play, and it takes commitment. I'm guessing he got a taste of Brees's workout regimen and that it was an eye opener.

I think we're seeing someone with some stability now, finally, and an organization who shows commitment to their players and coaches. This could all go a long way for Winston. And look at his tool box. Kamara, MT, Harris, Sanders, TQ Smith, and a budding O-line. We get our secondary whipped into shape, and I see us deep in the playoffs yet again next year.

The one thing I'll say RE: Winston is our QB room might be one of the tough ones in the NFL. Payton and Brees demand a lot from anyone else in the room. Everyone has heard the reason Grayson flamed out so I won't repeat it, but if Winston returns next season then it confirms the reports Payton and the team really likes what they saw in practice.

I really do think Payton will work wonders with Winston IF he buys in. Winston has always had the tools, but as we've seen recently from guys like Darnold, leadership and coaching is really important to unlock potential. I don't think he had that in TB with multiple head coaches. If Winston can put in work, especially after one season soaking in watching the habits and how to prep from Brees (which is also big for Payton too), then I think we'll see a big improvement from him.

Now this is all moot as he is a FA, but I think he'll be back on a slightly bigger 1 year deal. I really do think Payton likes him.

• Like 1