Browns fans: What do you think of this current regime?

everlong

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

We need to stop hiring unknowns. We need football guys who have had success.

I’m fine keeping the nerds around but they shouldn’t have final say. 

I 100% agree. I just don't think hiring Manning can be described as terrible when no one knows how it would go.

1 minute ago, hornbybrown said:

I 100% agree. I just don't think hiring Manning can be described as terrible when no one knows how it would go.

But why manning? I don’t get the hype about him as a FO executive. Why not Marino, or young or favre? Hell why not Faulk or Tomlinson? If we’re going the retired player with no experience route why is Peyton the only guy people bring up?

I hate hearing this stupid argument that the Browns need football guys, they need to stop hiring inexperienced guys, and etc...

What have the Browns been doing since they have come back into the league?

• Dwight Clark, NFL legend, had some success with the 9ers FO before coming to the browns
  • Butch Davis, Football guy but lacked the inexperience. Showed too much favoritism to the guys he coached or coached against. Still might of been the best the Browns have had.
  • Savage, had plenty of experience and was from a great organization. Was a football guy. 
  • Heckart, not bad but he blew some drafts. He had Holmgren in his corner. Now that was an utter failure!
  • Lombanner, dont want to go there.
  • Farmer, was a football guy and was a touted young and upcoming GM, dude was horrific!  

Now we have sashi browns. He is unlike the others. First FO IMO willing to commit to a full rebuilding and trying to do it the right way, something Clark failed to do when he was here in 99. 

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

Exactly tons of football guys 

again I like our FO

I would like Hue to do like Macadoo and give up the playcalling to coach the team

al Saunders was a fantastic play caller I’d love to see him take the spot

I could not disagree more.  I don't want to change Saunders role at all.  He can develop these young WRs.  Look at Pryor without Saunders.  We need a very good OC, but I don't want to look in house for one.  I want to keep everyone that we have for offensive coaches right where they are, but bring in an OC that can put things together and let Hue be the HC.

I just hate how everyone is complaining about the winning and the record. Seriously why does everyone want the cosmetic fixes to this team. Because past regimes tried to please the fans first and foremost has put the browns in this position. 

I hate this wentz Watson crap they are throwing on this regime. Yes those two look like young studs but this team was smart and gain draft capital from them. Why is it smart because they knew QBs like them draft at their spot would be like burning a sack of money cause they wouldn’t develop here in Cleveland philly and Houston are in a win now mode win established offensive talent. Cleveland is the opposite but what to be in that position soon.  I think this next draft they will invest into the offensive skill players. I believe they took Kizer because he was worth the gamble because it was only a 2nd rd pick. Potentially ruining a QB drafted in the 50-60 range is a lot better than a QB taken #2 or #12 overall. 

Right now I have weird faith in haslam. I don’t want to see any one fired. I be fine if they maybe bring another person in but if they clear House it’s yet another disaster.

i would expect a new regime to do whatever to do a quick fix and it would cause the same issues all over again. You rush a build to a house and that house would be crap and full of issues. 

I've thought from the beginning that giving the Harvard Lawyer Sachi Brown ultimate football authority rather than to a real football guy was a grievous mistake, and that having our highest personnel exec from the Colts (who aside from hitting on Luck have been one of the worst personnel offices in the league lately was a mistake. There's nothing wrong with having a strong analytics department, but you also have to have someone in position of ultimate authority that isn't blinded by it, so they can make the correct calls on players/personnel, like grabbing a franchise QB when they are sitting there on the board (Wentz, Watson) rather than constantly falling in love with future picks.

11 hours ago, buno67 said:

I hate hearing this stupid argument that the Browns need football guys, they need to stop hiring inexperienced guys, and etc...

What have the Browns been doing since they have come back into the league?

• Dwight Clark, NFL legend, had some success with the 9ers FO before coming to the browns
  • Butch Davis, Football guy but lacked the inexperience. Showed too much favoritism to the guys he coached or coached against. Still might of been the best the Browns have had.
  • Savage, had plenty of experience and was from a great organization. Was a football guy. 
  • Heckart, not bad but he blew some drafts. He had Holmgren in his corner. Now that was an utter failure!
  • Lombanner, dont want to go there.
  • Farmer, was a football guy and was a touted young and upcoming GM, dude was horrific!  

Now we have sashi browns. He is unlike the others. First FO IMO willing to commit to a full rebuilding and trying to do it the right way, something Clark failed to do when he was here in 99. 

And yet the rest of the league has done just fine with football guys. Maybe we need *gasp* the right football guy. Not just scrubs from other organizations. 

If Scot McCloughan has his alcohol issues cleared up he would he a fantastic hire. 

59 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

I've thought from the beginning that giving the Harvard Lawyer Sachi Brown ultimate football authority rather than to a real football guy was a grievous mistake, and that having our highest personnel exec from the Colts (who aside from hitting on Luck have been one of the worst personnel offices in the league lately was a mistake. There's nothing wrong with having a strong analytics department, but you also have to have someone in position of ultimate authority that isn't blinded by it, so they can make the correct calls on players/personnel, like grabbing a franchise QB when they are sitting there on the board (Wentz, Watson) rather than constantly falling in love with future picks.

I didn't love that we gave the football decisions to a lawyer who didn't have much experience in football, but I have to be honest with you, I have LOVED what they have been doing.  I'm sorry that not every draft pick has panned out the way everyone was hoping for, but we are not looking for a quick fix here and we knew it was going to be a process.  The moves this front office has made I have constantly been applauding and I for one would be livid if we gave up on them so soon.  We are the Browns, unless we pay a TON of money, no free agents want to come to a perennial loser.  The best example to me was that we offered Tony Jefferson the highest amount in a contract, and he turned us down to go play for Baltimore, we have to know that we can't just fix everything by offering a player a contact and expecting him to sign it.  Alex Mack didn't want to stay, and look what the previous regime left us with as far as a contract goes.  I don't disagree that we should have handled other things a little differently, I would have offered Mitchell Schwartz the first deal and not gone back on it, I would have tagged Terrell Pryor to see if he had it for a second year before letting him walk, but this front office brought Jamie Collins, who was the best defensive player on New England, for a 3rd round pick and convinced him to stay.  This front office got a second round draft pick by giving up NO draft capital and NO players.  Knowing its a long term fix, we have been trading down to pick up more picks to try and build our team through the draft, which literally every front office argues is the way to build a franchise!  Carson Wentz has looked good, but its helps to have receivers and the best offensive line in football right now and a very good defense to keep him in games.  Watson has looked good but I didn't think he was a pro-ready QB who would look as good as he does and most people on here agreed.  Lets stop complaining that we didn't get "The Franchise Guy" after we see they became a franchise guy and be happy that we didn't draft players like Paxton Lynch who Mary Kay was screaming for when we took Coleman.

I think we will be in a position to draft a QB this year, when we have built up the offensive line around him, when we will have more weapons than we do right now (hopefully a healthy Corey Coleman, David Njoku in his second year, and a first round WR with Houstons pick, Duke Johnson, and maybe another RB in the first two rounds, maybe even a free agent).  Our defense is actually not terribly far away, our Linebackers look good, Garrett is doing a TON for our defensive line, and we are the youngest team in the NFL.  I honestly believe if you give this a few years you will start to see us become one of the more consistent teams in the NFL.  But lets not all jump off the bandwagon because we are using Peppers as a free safety and he is just NOT that, or that Coleman got hurt, Britt looks terrible, and we didn't plan for that, or because our QB's look worse than we thought they were.  They are building this team the right way, it will take a year or two of garbage, but we have had 20 years of garbage, I'm willing to go through it a few more times to finally get to winning seasons.

You guys are too enamored by the idea you can tank your way to success in the NFL.  Our problem was never that we didn't have high/enough picks, our problem has been blowing the opportunity to capitalize on our picks.  Good teams prioritize winning and still improve their team through the the draft, by never winning players never gain faith in what the coaches are trying to do and eventually the regime has to be overhauled.

Our young team has been getting worse on a week by week basis not improving.  Realistically Hue will be 2-30 his first two seasons, that will be a death sentence, no reason you can't be better than 1-15 after 2 years.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

And yet the rest of the league has done just fine with football guys. Maybe we need *gasp* the right football guy. Not just scrubs from other organizations. 

If Scot McCloughan has his alcohol issues cleared up he would he a fantastic hire. 

I’m not saying it’s the analytical aspect. It’s the not giving guys proper time the issue or allowing them to do a proper rebuild. Everyone thinks this is a sashi problem because he isn’t a “football” guy. The Problem is Sashi took it upon himself or taking on the task to clean up the mess that has been left here since 1999. 

37 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

You guys are too enamored by the idea you can tank your way to success in the NFL.  Our problem was never that we didn't have high/enough picks, our problem has been blowing the opportunity to capitalize on our picks.  Good teams prioritize winning and still improve their team through the the draft, by never winning players never gain faith in what the coaches are trying to do and eventually the regime has to be overhauled.

Our young team has been getting worse on a week by week basis not improving.  Realistically Hue will be 2-30 his first two seasons, that will be a death sentence, no reason you can't be better than 1-15 after 2 years.

You say teams prioritize winning, teams can do that when they have legit/solid football foundation. Browns don’t have that. The browns were not tanking to just tanking. They are just bad because they are blowing the whole thing up and are rebuilding the entire foundation to this team. 

In years past the regimes tried to do that and they tried to cover up major issues. Tried to play the win now and rebuild mode. The only way you can play both sides and be susseful is by having a top tier QB talent.  They thought it be better to make the cosmetic fixes. Instead of fixing the proverbial wall, they decided to just buy a patch kit from Walmart (hence so many washed up vet QBs and or not top tier QB talent in the draft)!  

To me it’s hard to see the improvements of this team cause just like their opponents who from a roster stand is already better, are also improving. To me it’s not about what you see on Sundays causes that’s all really matters. 

Archived