Browns fans: What do you think of this current regime?

everlong

I don't know about blowing the whole thing up, but I am very disappointed with both the FO, and the coaching staff.  I disagree with the points about not being "the right time" to draft a franchise QB.  The right time is when you do not have one.  I like Kizer, and am willing to give him a chance, but we may end up having to draft a QB at the top of this year's draft anyways. 

We have accumulated draft capitol over the last several years, but at what point do we start to say that the guys we are drafting are just average, or below average????

Hue does not have alot to work with, but at what point do we hold him accountable for poor time management, poor play calling, undisciplined players?

At the very least, we need a "football guy"  the right  one...to evaluate talent, and bring them here.  Sashi can stay, but not have the ultimate decision on the final 53.  Hue needs an OC to call plays.  I would give it one more year....but if the "suck" isn't looking like it will change....blow it up.

Problem with this team is... impatience. Everyone thinks they know what's best for the team. Everyone thinks we are a player away from superbowl greatness. We are not even a player away from 6-10 people. This team needs structure. This team needs a coach here longterm. They need a system in place. It takes about 2-3 seasons to get a system in place. The Browns are not ready to be a plug and play team. No new coach or QB will have this team ready to compete. So give Hue the life of his contract and Kizer til week 17. Buckle up for a bumpy ride with plenty of rookie mistake loaded, Lulzy Clowns football. It is going to be this way for the rest of this season and potentially the next one as well. If you disagree with me, how many times have the Browns cleaned house? Has it work? 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I'm all about patience. I like the FO's plan and method so far. I am worried about a few things in regards to the coaching.

The QB shenanigans, pick a guy for goodness sake.
The play calling, our ground game was working Sunday, Kevin Hogan can't succeed throwing it 40 times.
The offensive system, seems to static and rigid, I expected Hue to be a "put the players where they're good" coach and so far he seems like a "my system or the road" coach.
The defensive scheme. What the #$%^&*( #@$% is this @#$$%^&*? I get so pissed every time I see Peppers playing 35 yards deep (not an exaggeration!). Putting him there basically says, "run on us and it's 10 on 11, if we play zone just throw a corner route (the Fuller TD), and if we play man run a quick slant from the TE (Cinci did this alllll day). It's the dumbest thing I think I've ever seen scheme-wise at a professional level.

35 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I'm all about patience. I like the FO's plan and method so far. I am worried about a few things in regards to the coaching.

The QB shenanigans, pick a guy for goodness sake.
The play calling, our ground game was working Sunday, Kevin Hogan can't succeed throwing it 40 times.
The offensive system, seems to static and rigid, I expected Hue to be a "put the players where they're good" coach and so far he seems like a "my system or the road" coach.
The defensive scheme. What the #$%^&*( #@$% is this @#$$%^&*? I get so pissed every time I see Peppers playing 35 yards deep (not an exaggeration!). Putting him there basically says, "run on us and it's 10 on 11, if we play zone just throw a corner route (the Fuller TD), and if we play man run a quick slant from the TE (Cinci did this alllll day). It's the dumbest thing I think I've ever seen scheme-wise at a professional level.

I think Hue is a dinosaur who locked into one offensive philosophy years ago and can't let it go.

His play-calling is awful, almost like he always is trying to outsmart the other team rather than calling plays that might actually work.

Hogan (I think) made a comment in his presser to the effect that early in the game they were just taking what the defense was giving them. What in Sam Hill is wrong with that approach?

And what's the alternative...to force plays that the defense is taking away?

Sheesh! 

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

You say teams prioritize winning, teams can do that when they have legit/solid football foundation. Browns don’t have that. The browns were not tanking to just tanking. They are just bad because they are blowing the whole thing up and are rebuilding the entire foundation to this team. 

In years past the regimes tried to do that and they tried to cover up major issues. Tried to play the win now and rebuild mode. The only way you can play both sides and be susseful is by having a top tier QB talent.  They thought it be better to make the cosmetic fixes. Instead of fixing the proverbial wall, they decided to just buy a patch kit from Walmart (hence so many washed up vet QBs and or not top tier QB talent in the draft)!  

To me it’s hard to see the improvements of this team cause just like their opponents who from a roster stand is already better, are also improving. To me it’s not about what you see on Sundays causes that’s all really matters. 

Our concept of what entails building a successful football team is just incredibly different.  I think it should start with competing in football games, and until you're competing in football games you haven't started the process at all.  Outside of Myles Garrett, we are no closer to being competitive than we were a year ago.

Honestly I cant think on the top of my head any regime that posted back to back 2 or less win seasons and had any success after.  Actually the Browns must be in a very rare category of awful historically, but if somebody can show me a regime was successful being as awful as we are I'd want to know.

2 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Problem with this team is... impatience. Everyone thinks they know what's best for the team. Everyone thinks we are a player away from superbowl greatness. We are not even a player away from 6-10 people. This team needs structure. This team needs a coach here longterm. They need a system in place. It takes about 2-3 seasons to get a system in place. The Browns are not ready to be a plug and play team. No new coach or QB will have this team ready to compete. So give Hue the life of his contract and Kizer til week 17. Buckle up for a bumpy ride with plenty of rookie mistake loaded, Lulzy Clowns football. It is going to be this way for the rest of this season and potentially the next one as well. If you disagree with me, how many times have the Browns cleaned house? It is work? 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

51xWY1VXyfL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpgman-pointing-upwards.jpgThis.1.jpg

Respect to you Bucketheadsdad. 

Question is are you confident that the FO won't take a third lap around the same QB draft track in 2018 and miss out yet again?

Is there a sound basis for trusting their drafting and decision-making process, especially with quarterbacks? Garrett was a no-brainer so he was a gift to them.

Thanks.  

Its still depressing seeing these other young QBs having so much success. Trubisky didn't have much to work with but made two plays that won his team the game. We actually had a shot at all these guys. 

Kizer can make plays but also makes a bunch of mistakes. 

Regardless over the years I've slowly adopted a stance of team over QB or any single position. Just want minimal mistakes and a few clutch plays at the position.

Roll with Kizer and give me Saquon or Derwin and load up on defense.

23 minutes ago, HH650 said:

Question is are you confident that the FO won't take a third lap around the same QB draft track in 2018 and miss out yet again?

Is there a sound basis for trusting their drafting and decision-making process, especially with quarterbacks? Garrett was a no-brainer so he was a gift to them.

Thanks.  

I still think that we're going to find out this year whether or not Kizer is our guy.  Part of me thinks that Hue "sacrificed" the Texans game by starting Hogan.  One, it was his way of letting Kizer clear his head for a week.  It also allowed him to demonstrate to those clamoring for Hogan that he is overmatched, and is not a starting QB in the league.  That action may just put to rest wanting Hogan to remain in the starting position another week.

2 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Our concept of what entails building a successful football team is just incredibly different.  I think it should start with competing in football games, and until you're competing in football games you haven't started the process at all.  Outside of Myles Garrett, we are no closer to being competitive than we were a year ago.

Honestly I cant think on the top of my head any regime that posted back to back 2 or less win seasons and had any success after.  Actually the Browns must be in a very rare category of awful historically, but if somebody can show me a regime was successful being as awful as we are I'd want to know.

Competing in football games doesnt really mean anything. Browns were competitive in '02, it lead to only 9 wins the two following seasons after. Browns were competitive in 07, it lead to 9 wins again the two following seasons. Browns were competitive in '14, it lead to only 4 wins the two following seasons. Because they had a taste of that success, it lead to Regimes doing nothing but cosmetic fixes because they were rushing to win games. Hell doing so, left issues long after that season.

Lions and Martin Mayhew who was with the Lions from 2008 to 2015 Senior VP/General Manager, Executive VP of Football Operations/General Manager. Lions were 0-16 in '08 and 2-14 in 09'. Talk about a team that went rock bottom. They went into a rebuild mode. That rebuild mode got them their franchise QB and franchise Defender they let walk. You could say the Raiders and their current GM. 

11 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I still think that we're going to find out this year whether or not Kizer is our guy.  Part of me thinks that Hue "sacrificed" the Texans game by starting Hogan.  One, it was his way of letting Kizer clear his head for a week.  It also allowed him to demonstrate to those clamoring for Hogan that he is overmatched, and is not a starting QB in the league.  That action may just put to rest wanting Hogan to remain in the starting position another week.

I think it Hogan was a sacrificial lamb like you said. It allowed him to demonstrate to those clamoring for Hogan that he is overmatched, and is not a starting QB in the league. It also showed Kizer that he is not the reason the team is struggling, and it gave Kizer a minute to catch his breath. 

1 hour ago, HH650 said:

Thanks.  

Not my question, but I will chime in.  I am confident that the FO will take a QB next year, probably number 1 overall.  Reason being, there should be a prospect actually worthy of the pick.  The last 2 years I did not see any prospect worthy our our draft position and believe that the team agreed with me thus the trade downs.  Yes, a few of them are looking good now, but coming out there was just too much uncertainty, especially when surrounded by our bad news bears quality roster.

Add to that, our roster overall has been greatly transformed by those trade downs.  Its not yielding dividends yet, but I believe that it will.  We are not as far off as people believe.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I think it Hogan was a sacrificial lamb like you said. It allowed him to demonstrate to those clamoring for Hogan that he is overmatched, and is not a starting QB in the league. It also showed Kizer that he is not the reason the team is struggling, and it gave Kizer a minute to catch his breath. 

I suppose it's possible, it would be a sign that we need a new coach if true, but I don't buy any of it. Hogan looked the best of our QBs when he played this year and we needed a performance from our QB that could put points on the board and limit turnovers. Hogan failed, but I don't think that was the plan.

QB has been a huge reason why we are winless, a change of QB was a good decision. It didn't work out. I imagine our combined QB passer rating as a team is lower than any team in 60 years. If we convert red zone possessions into points and did not turn the ball over, we are on pace to throw 38 interceptions this season, then we compete in a lot of these games.

Archived