Raheem Morris to be new defensive coordinator

NVRamsFan

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive been reading that he should be scheme flexible. And while everyone should be these days, I’m curious which way he will lean? Will he roll with what Staley has out in place for the most part? I would hope so with Donald and the Secondary already set up for him.

But will he have more focus on finding a stand up edge rusher? Or another down lineman who can compliant Donald from there?

I have a feeling that most of our mocks, from the defensive side, will be complete shots in the dark, and we could be very shocked at our moves come draft day

My guess is that we run the same sort of front. That being:

WOLB: Lewis or a FA

UT: Donald

NT: SJD

SDE: Brockers

SOLB: Hollins

With the way they stopped the run, it only makes sense to run it back with them. Plus, that front would fit both Staley's scheme and Carroll's scheme (the defense Morris ran with Quinn). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

With the way they stopped the run, it only makes sense to run it back with them. Plus, that front would fit both Staley's scheme and Carroll's scheme (the defense Morris ran with Quinn). 

Yea I would think that’s the direction, I guess my thoughts go mostly to the LB/Edge spot. And what we would be doing there. The rest of this D (Line and Secondary) are pretty well set.

Does a healthy Kiser fit what he is looking for as one of the LBs? (Likely just 2 down) Do Reader or Kenny Young even have a roster spot any more? Are we looking for a true stand up SOLB? Or would the versatility to put their hand on the ground be important?

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

My guess is that we run the same sort of front. That being:

WOLB: Lewis or a FA

UT: Donald

NT: SJD

SDE: Brockers

SOLB: Hollins

I like SJD a lot and Hollins came out of no where; I’ve never heard of him until he started making plays for us. I think having a healthy Kiser and Howard could make a difference. I still want to bring in a pass rusher, because I don’t trust Lewis to play a full season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

I like SJD a lot and Hollins came out of no where; I’ve never heard of him until he started making plays for us. I think having a healthy Kiser and Howard could make a difference. I still want to bring in a pass rusher, because I don’t trust Lewis to play a full season.

I may have a little more faith in him than most, because I really liked him coming out of college, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Derek Rivers surprise in Fox's role next season, presuming that Fox is allowed to walk for more more money than we're willing to pay him.

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea I would think that’s the direction, I guess my thoughts go mostly to the LB/Edge spot. And what we would be doing there. The rest of this D (Line and Secondary) are pretty well set.

Does a healthy Kiser fit what he is looking for as one of the LBs? (Likely just 2 down) Do Reader or Kenny Young even have a roster spot any more? Are we looking for a true stand up SOLB? Or would the versatility to put their hand on the ground be important?

I think Hollins has the versatility to do both at SOLB. He's a great athlete. I also think we need to add a player behind Lewis. Him and Obo both have potential, but both also have a history of getting injured. We need another guy to add to that mix.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I think Hollins has the versatility to do both at SOLB. He's a great athlete. I also think we need to add a player behind Lewis. Him and Obo both have potential, but both also have a history of getting injured. We need another guy to add to that mix.

Lewis, another oft injured guy to rotate/back up Obo but is there anybody on the roster to do that for Hollins?

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

Lewis, another oft injured guy to rotate/back up Obo but is there anybody on the roster to do that for Hollins?

It'll depend on the scheme. If we're running Staley's scheme, we'd need to somebody else. If we're running Carroll's scheme, Reeder can do it. Either ways, we're going to need to add one or two SOLB/EDGE types.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It'll depend on the scheme. If we're running Staley's scheme, we'd need to somebody else. If we're running Carroll's scheme, Reeder can do it. Either ways, we're going to need to add one or two SOLB/EDGE types.

Personally, I’d like Morris to continue Staley’s work, but make a few tweaks here and there. It would suck to force the defense to learn another scheme. 

• Like 3