DET hires Dan Campbell as HC, Aaron Glenn as DC, Anthony Lynn as OC

Broncofan

Aaron Glenn is a product of Bill Parcells coaching as a player and as a young ascending coach. And Parcells was a master at pushing his buttons
excerpted from article at The Athletic (paywall)

https://theathletic.com/2229281/2020/12/01/saints-aaron-glenn-nfl-coaching-candidate/?

"Then there was the dollhouse.

Every year, Parcells put a dollhouse in Aaron Glenn’s locker. And every week, Parcells wrote the name of the receiver Glenn would be covering on the house. If Glenn held the player to a prescribed number of yards, Parcells crossed out the name. If Glenn failed to meet his goal, Parcells put a doll representing the receiver in the house.

Parcells: “How many guys are you going to let live in that house and take over your house?”

Glenn: “Coach, no one’s taking over my house.”

Parcells: “Well, you have to show me that.”

Glenn acknowledges Parcells achieved his goal. He played with an edge.

“I’ll tell you what, man, I looked forward to seeing him cross those names out every week,” he says. “That was like the highlight of that day. After a game, that’s all I wanted was seeing him cross that name out and knowing that I didn’t let a guy build a room in my house.”

• Like 7

more here...

"Sean Payton, who was the Cowboys’ offensive coordinator under Parcells, saw the coaching potential in Glenn as well. In the 2005 season opener, the Cowboys had a four-point lead over the Chargers late. Drew Brees went into two-minute mode and drove the Chargers to the Dallas 7 with 30 seconds left. Glenn leveraged wide receiver Eric Parker on an inside breaking route and stole Brees’ pass to him in the end zone, preserving the victory.

“It was only because of his film study that he understood where he needed to be on a play like that,” Payton says. “He’s extremely intelligent. That’s why he played so long in this league. He understood splits. He understood concepts. He studied film. He was definitely one of the leaders in that room, and he helped younger players understand you’re not defending every route. You’re defending the splits and then the routes that come from those splits.”

and here:

"By that time, Glenn was one of Parcells’ “made guys,” a select group that includes Payton, Mike Zimmer, Romeo Crennel, Todd Bowles, Al Groh, Jeff Ireland and Brian Gaine.

Glenn: “I’d like to get into coaching. Would you help me?”

Parcells: “I’ll help you, but you’re not going to coach yet. First, I want you to scout.”

Glenn: “But I don’t want to scout. I want to coach.”

Parcells: “Well, that’s how we’re going to do this. I think you have a chance to be a head coach with your personality. But in order to be a head coach, you have to understand the personnel part of football.”

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Aaron Glenn is a product of Bill Parcells coaching as a player and as a young ascending coach. And Parcells was a master at pushing his buttons

https://theathletic.com/2229281/2020/12/01/saints-aaron-glenn-nfl-coaching-candidate/?

Every year, Parcells put a dollhouse in Aaron Glenn’s locker. And every week, Parcells wrote the name of the receiver Glenn would be covering on the house. If Glenn held the player to a prescribed number of yards, Parcells crossed out the name. If Glenn failed to meet his goal, Parcells put a doll representing the receiver in the house.

Parcells: “How many guys are you going to let live in that house and take over your house?”

“I’ll tell you what, man, I looked forward to seeing him cross those names out every week,” he says. “That was like the highlight of that day. After a game, that’s all I wanted was seeing him cross that name out and knowing that I didn’t let a guy build a room in my house.”

Just when you thought you heard all of the nutty Parcells stories. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

What an awesome story!  I loved the Tuna.  If Glenn is half as good as the Tuna was, Detroit will be in good shape.   I'd give you a football for that one but I've used up my daily allotment. 

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

No one cares about Dan Campbell, apparently.

Alrighty...title changed.

He was another one Saints fans weren’t really scared to lose.

I wish them both the best, but I see these as underwhelming hires.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

No one cares about Dan Campbell, apparently.

Alrighty...title changed.

Maybe, or that it's not official yet (therefore Glenn isn't either). But it seems like done deals, so no harm.

I'm not wildly in favor of Campbell either, and Glenn is an equal crapshoot imo. These stories with Parcells sound nice, but a lot of guys have good stories.