Saints DL coach Ryan Nielsen promoted to Assistant HC

Dome

With Dan Campbell leaving for Detroit to try his hand at being a Head Coach, the Assistant HC position was open in New Orleans. Ryan Nielsen got the call, and this will ensure he sticks around at least one more year. I have to imagine if Dennis Allen takes the HC job in Philly that Nielsen will be one of Payton’s first choices for the open DC position.

Breer mentioned that lots of interest from the league and a few think he’s head coach potential.

personally I’m thrilled. I think he’s got atleast DC potential and I think the work he’s done with the D-line is outstanding. I hope he takes over for DA when he leaves (I don’t think he’s going to the Eagles).

One would assume that the Saints extending Onyemata this past offseason to a big deal due to his development under Nielson would lead to the Saints making retaining Trey Hendrickson one of thier top priorities this offseason now that they went out of their way to retain Nielson.

Injuries has detailed Rankins career thus far and is likley done in New Orleans unless he takes a very team friendly deal and Davenport has been heading down the same road as Rankins so cant really blame that on Nielson. He has however developed two mid round picks into stud defensive starters along an impressive defensive line so I can see why Payton would be so adimate to retain him because over the next couple seasons, player development will be huge for the cash strapped Saints.