Philip Rivers retiring

teude

Jacob Eason next in line? Or will they go for another stop-gap QB till he’s ready? 

Sad to see him go loved watching him and those charger teams back in the day. 

Best of luck in retirement and hope he enjoys it. 

Edited by mattyice0401

Even after LDT's decline, the Chargers offense was so much fun to watch between 2008-2010.  Rivers led the league in Y/A 3 years straight.  He made it look easy throwing downfield to Jackson and Floyd, not to mention Gates was probably at his peak around this point (10 TDs in 10 games in 2010).  Shame they couldn't get it done in the postseason.  

5 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Jacob Eason next in line? Or will they go for another stop-gap QB till he’s ready? 

Sad to see him go loved watching him and those charger teams back in the day. 

Best of luck in retirement and hope he enjoys it. 

I don't feel like they can waste this team they have on the upside of a 4th round second year QB. That team is 100% built to win now if they can just find the QB. I'd expect them to be all over Dak if he's still there, otherwise I'm not really sure what they will do. Put in a call on Wentz, though I think firing Pederson probably tells everyone where the eagles are at. Put a call in on Stafford. Tough spot given where they are drafting. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't feel like they can waste this team they have on the upside of a 4th round second year QB. That team is 100% built to win now if they can just find the QB. I'd expect them to be all over Dak if he's still there, otherwise I'm not really sure what they will do. Put in a call on Wentz, though I think firing Pederson probably tells everyone where the eagles are at. Put a call in on Stafford. Tough spot given where they are drafting. 

I mean... some would argue that would be an improvement imo. 

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

Darnold too. Or sign Fitzpatrick and trade up in the draft for Lance/Jones.

EDIT: Also Winston, if Sean Payton's love affair with Hill doesn't end.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

A great NFL QB for a lot of years, but I don't think HoF.  Was never the best in the league in his career, maybe not even top 5, and of course, no ring, which I think matters more for QB than any other position.  Iron man streak was impressive as hell, but that also let him be a compiler.

28 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

A great NFL QB for a lot of years, but I don't think HoF.  Was never the best in the league in his career, maybe not even top 5, and of course, no ring, which I think matters more for QB than any other position.  Iron man streak was impressive as hell, but that also let him be a compiler.

He's the bellwether guy. Over his career you've got:

• Brady
  • Peyton Manning
  • Rodgers
  • Brees
  • Roethlisberger
  • Eli Manning
  • Wilson

as guys with clearly better resumes who are going to get in no questions asked. He's got the volume stats to the point where right now he's got the best resume of the other QBs with long enough careers as starters in this era like:

• Rivers
  • Ryan
  • Stafford
  • Flacco
  • Dalton
  • Newton
  • Cousins

If Rivers gets in, you can start making cases for at least the next 2 guys to some degree, depending on how long Stafford plays. And long term, you have guys like Tannehill (26k yards), Carr (26k), Winston (20k), Goff (18k) who have quickly accumulated decent stat totals. If they can keep or find a starting job for a few years, they'd work their way on this list. 

I don't want to not vote for Phil Rivers because that might mean that 10 years later I may have to also vote for Ryan Tannehill, that's a stupid reason to not vote for someone. But QB stat inflation is bananas and there aren't that many HoF spots. It's difficult to know where to draw the line.

• Like 1

It's a sad day. The NFL lost one of its all-time greatest competitors. The guy did everything he could to win, even if it hurt sometimes. Normally if a RB is getting roughed up by the defense, the line comes to their rescue, but it was always Rivers getting in the DL's faces when it was his team. If a ref made a call that he didn't like, he'd let them know, but he did it without cussing, and was always respectful to them. He's the type of player that every coach dreams of from peewee up, even if he wasn't the most gifted.

He's big, goofy, and slow. Somehow he would get out in front as a lead blocker, or chase down a tackle after a turnover.

He doesn't have a big arm, but was still one of the best deep ball throwers for a long time.

He has a really weird throwing motion that everybody was worried about, yet he still became one of the most accurate QBs of all time.

He tore his ACL in the divisional round, still started the AFCC, and the first game of the next season.

He wears a bolo tie, and still has fans

He played for the Chargers, and still managed a HoF career.

That's always the type of player you want on your team. Just sad that he never got out of the team what he put in. Now he's quitting his job to go spend time with his eleventeen kids, or whatever the count is at this point, and that's way scarier than 350lb linemen sprinting at you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't want to not vote for Phil Rivers because that might mean that 10 years later I may have to also vote for Ryan Tannehill, that's a stupid reason to not vote for someone. But QB stat inflation is bananas and there aren't that many HoF spots. It's difficult to know where to draw the line.

Bad way to think about it. I could see if it was all just bulk yards, or TD's, but he's in the top in QBR, completion percentage, INT%, YPA... It's not like he just threw a lot of passes, and got the stats because somebody caught them. He put the ball where it needed to be, most of the time anyways.