Philip Rivers retiring

teude

Please note I'm not saying Rivers sucks. He was a very good quarterback and easily has a place in the Chargers Ring of Honor, but just simply not good enough for the Hall of Fame.

If Matt Ryan shouldn't get in despite an MVP and a Super Bowl appearance, then putting in Rivers wouldn't make any sense.

Here is my approach to the Philip Rivers HOF debate.. As of today, Rivers is the best retired QB who falls under the "bulk stats, low success" category. But that WILL change. The stat bar IS moving, and to his benefit, he is on the early side of retirees of this generation, but for me the big question is, will he EVER be the top QB not in the Hall? Meaning, is he ever going to be first in line to be the QB selection in a weak HOF class year.

Right now, Peyton and Eli are the only two other retired QBs that even have a shot. There were not even any QBs on the 2020 ballot. Peyton will be first ballot, hands down.. so he's sort of irrelevant to the conversation because he is already in the Hall at the time Rivers gets on the ballot.

So we get to 2024 and Eli gets on the ballot. He's not a 1st ballot HoF.

So we move on to 2025. Eli, Drew Brees, Rivers on the ballot. Obviously Brees gets in. The question then becomes, who is the best QB on the list? IMO, Eli has the HOF edge over Rivers. You can argue it, but whatever.

At some point in the VERY, near future, Big Ben and Brady will join that list. Brady is obviously 1st ballot, and Ben is obviously ahead of Rivers and Eli. So now, depending on how fast Ben gets in, we're still pushing towards 2030 with both Eli and Rivers on the ballot.

Then at some point Rodgers joins the ballot, and he obviously skyrockets to the top. Matt Ryan will be there shortly after, and he is unquestionably ahead of Rivers at that point. Somewhere in that point Stafford enters the mix, and now we are talking about a QB with 5+ more years of bulk stats, who will be clearly ahead of Rivers in the "bulk stats, low success" category. 

Russ then comes into play.. and I think you see my point. I don't even think every QB I mentioned gets in, but I think every QB (with the POSSIBLE exception of Eli) are going to be ahead of Rivers on the list, which is what matters. I think his only chance is that the culture develops where a QB is one of the 5 inductees EVERY year, and we exhaust the list and then we have that gap after a Russ retirement and before the class of "whichever young QBs end up being HOF guys" retire. But that's a stretch to me, because there are so many talented players at other positions who need to get in also

tl;dr - Unless QBs start being like, guaranteed as one per HoF class, I don't see the time where Rivers gets in. It's easy to say "his numbers deserve to be in the Hall", but show me the point in time over the next 10+ after he joins the ballot where he is first in line from the QB position.. I just don't see it at.

On 1/21/2021 at 12:28 AM, biggie. said:

Besides the fact that Marino played in a different era, you have to be a complete dumbass to even compare the two. One is one of the greatest pure passers of all time...the other was an above average.

This. Right on. If you're the dude comparing these two guys by numbers, you just don't know much about the game. I'm not even one to say Phil shouldn't be in - I'm kind of on the fence right now, but even if he's in, it's not the same. Marino is an inner circle level HOF'er.