Hindsight 2020 Tannehill vs Brady Debate

Titans fan 617

I still don’t get the point of saying “what if” regarding Brady.  

Unless I’m missing something regarding how his leadership would fix our defense, this season was going to end the same way with Brady as it did with Tannehill. Short of the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 6:30 PM, deeluxx3 said:

I think that, if we are going to really compete for a SB with this group, we have to run the offense through Ryan and not Derrick. 

as great as he is, you can’t run Derrick Henry to the super bowl. Derrick should be complementing Ryan, not the other way around. 

Edit - I also thought Ryan looked good against Baltimore. I read Blake Beddingfield’s breakdown of the game, though, and he thought Ryan was one of our weaker performers. Interesting. Curious as to what the game film showed him. Believe he said Ryan was often late to throws 

I was worried we would do exactly what we did against the Ravens. If a team dares you to pass you have to be willing to pass and for whatever reason we were refusing to pass the ball on first down early in the game. Maybe we were still in scripted plays and it just worked out that way. Maybe it had to do with our OL struggling so badly to pass protect for Tanny.

I don't remember thinking Tannehill had a great game, but I do remember thinking we made it diffult for him by never throwing it on first down, getting into 2nd and long often and then predictably calling a PA pass after a run on first down, failing to pass protect without the PA fake, and really struggling to separate down field.

But Beddingfield was talking on the radio about how the Titans needed to keep Mariota as their QB of the future going into his 5th year in the league when it was clear to even some of us fans that Mariota just didn't have what it takes, so I don't really care too much about his QB evals. 

4 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I still don’t get the point of saying “what if” regarding Brady.  

Unless I’m missing something regarding how his leadership would fix our defense, this season was going to end the same way with Brady as it did with Tannehill. Short of the Super Bowl.

People want to play with Brady, clearly. Imagine if our offense had AJ Brown, CD, Antonio Brown, Gronk and Jonnu. Then Brady has the comfortability to hand it off to Henry. I  am not saying it would happen in the first year. Maybe more people come to play with us because people want to play with Brady? Maybe that pulls some defensive pieces. Maybe the defense is a bit more inspired by Tom because he has won 6 Super Bowls? I don’t know, maybe I am wrong but his winning seems infectious to the whole team. But if Tannehill never gets us one, as a fan I will think “what if” we had the goat for 2 good years at the end of his career. Just a natural sports fan instinct.

• Like 1

It's fun to think about but if you tell me this team would have done better with Brady than Tannehill I beg to differ.

Tannehill had a better season and was not the issue. Tom Brady would not fix garbage defense. Maybe you could say his presence would give people more belief but that only goes so far.

Also I really wish people would take the player and name and separate them for Brady.

Tampa Bay is not going to the Super Bowl because of Tom Brady. They are going to the Super Bowl because of the Tampa Bay defensive line and pass rush something the Titans are sorely lacking.

At what point do people stop saying oh man it's Brady and realize he threw three picks against the Packers and could have easily thrown at least one more if I remember correct. His defense luckily bailed him out. If the Packers defense didn't play the worst coverage before half, the Bucs lose and the blinders maybe come off for Brady.

Yes Brady is the best of all time but he certainly is not the best now. Of the four QBs in the conference championship he was the worst one remaining. However, his defense bailed him out. He wouldn't have had that luxury with our defense.

Edited by Titan89
  • Like 1

While I have zero fault in Tanny's play sense he took over as starter, I do feel he was "terrible" in the playoff loss to Baltimore. Now would Brady have helped maybe but Brady threw 3 interceptions in the NFC championship game so I would not call that a "clutch" performance either. 

9 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Don’t you know Brady did it all? Let’s not forget he was added to a pretty stacked team. 7-9 last year with a QB that threw 30 INTS is actually impressive. Loaded on the defense.... must be nice

YEP

With that said. I still can't believe they won the Super Bowl. lol 
It was said wherever  he went would be "Super Bowl Contenders."

Rare to see it actually work to go the FA route with major additions to get ya ring.

I do feel it will collapse as fast as it was built up. 

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Is he bringing the defense, Gronk, AB, Mike Evans and Godwin with him?  

Maybe Gronk And AB. And he would have Henry, AJ and CD, who aren’t too shabby compared to Rojo, Godwin and Evans. And who else knows would come the following year. It isn’t a stretch to think that he is a better qb than Tannehill over two and possibly the next three years. Tannehill hasn’t done anything incredible in the playoffs. Sorry, Yea I will question not going after the goat just off the fact he is better even late in his career, or if Tannehill regresses in any way. Why wouldn’t you want a better qb and leader than Tannehill? 

Just now, twotonebluenation said:

Maybe Gronk And AB. And he would have Henry, AJ and CD, who aren’t too shabby compared to Rojo, Godwin and Evans. And who else knows would come the following year. It isn’t a stretch to think that he is a better qb than Tannehill over two and possibly the next three years. Tannehill hasn’t done anything incredible in the playoffs. Sorry, Yea I will question not going after the goat just off the fact he is better even late in his career, or if Tannehill regresses in any way. Why wouldn’t you want a better qb and leader than Tannehill? 

Defense tho?

Todd Bowles one of the most respected DC's in the league coming? Or are we with Shane Bowen? lol

Again. I think Brady would have maybe got us one more win if that. 
At same time, we may have lost 3 more because there wasn't a defense could cover up his mistakes. 

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

The genuine lack of respect for Brady is laughable in this thread 

there’s no way you can frame the argument that he “definitely” wouldn’t have made a difference here.

It's not knocking Brady but QB was FAAAAAARRRR from our problem this year. lol

Brady maybe gets us some more stats and again maybe another win.

But QB wasn't the issue here.

QB was the issue in Tampa Bay.