Martin Mayhew hired to be WFT GM, not sure of Marty Hurney’s role yet

turtle28

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Ian Rappaport reported that as I said above now he’s usually wrong about WFT news so perhaps he’s wrong, just passing it along. Maybe he’ll be assistant GM.

Read the tweet again. 

#49ers VP of Player Personnel Martin Mayhew is headed to the Washington Football Team as a high-ranking executive with a title to be determined

16 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Read the tweet again. 

#49ers VP of Player Personnel Martin Mayhew is headed to the Washington Football Team as a high-ranking executive with a title to be determined

Only WFT would hire a guy for a position we don't have, while not promoting the guy responsible for our drafting success in recent seasons.  

Like.......you can't make this **** up.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Only WFT would hire a guy for a position we don't have, while not promoting the guy responsible for our drafting success in recent seasons.  

Like.......you can't make this **** up.  

I’m hoping they know what they want him to do, they just don’t have a fancy title for it yet. Again. Hoping. Lol

10 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I’m hoping they know what they want him to do, they just don’t have a fancy title for it yet. Again. Hoping. Lol

They probably do. Maybe Mayhew is going to be the Assistant GM under Marty Hurney? I’m not sure what other title they’d make up for him outside of that.

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Done, thanks for the news! As I said in the other thread, perhaps Marty Hurney will just be a consultant and assistant in the way that AJ Smith was for Bruce Allen from 2013-15 when AJ Smith was a Senior executive/consultant.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Want to know why Mayhew was hired? He and Rivera share the same agent. 

same old skins.

He also was a Washington Redskin who was on a Super Bowl winning team. I have to believe that Snyder likes that about him.

Hey, maybe in a few years he can’t have us be like the 2019 San Francisco 49ers?

Probably not but crazier things have happened.

Edited by turtle28

Such a weird process. Like they purposely searched for guys who either failed or were mediocre. Mayhew and Hurney have a combined record as GM of 144-184. We just hired a collective that has a career 40 games under .500. With all that losing they certainly came to the right place. 

So who has authority? Is Mayhew the boss or is Hurney? Or, if we assume Rivera is the boss, who is the #2 man? Mayhew is the “GM,” but Hurney has the prior relationship. Are we really expecting Kyle Smith with his track record to be satisfied as, at best, the 5th-ranking decision maker in the organization?

The most important question: why do they have to make everything so god damn hard? This didn’t have to be complicated.

Even if you’re not comfortable with Rivera and Smith as the duo, then just hire one veteran GM who will be counted on to bring the experience and some time-tested methods/processes to the table. Why do you need two? What is Martin Mayhew bringing that Marty Hurney couldn’t provide, or vice versa? Neither of them can hold a candle to Kyle Smith in terms of talent evaluation, which seems like the most important part, so what are we getting out of this two-headed monster (that will surely drive him out of town)?

• Like 1

The Lions have been a porous franchise since their inception. Arguably their most successful run, was after their 0-16 season when Mayhew was hired. They had some talented teams and decent coaching staffs. Made the playoffs a few times and even won 11 and 10 games I believe. Washington can’t say the same.

Not to mention, a stand up organization in SF felt he was qualified enough to hold an executive-level position within their front office. They have talent up and down the roster and we all know John Lynch isn’t a personnel guru handpicking players.

I’m not trying to overhype Martin Mayhew, but totally discrediting him as a GM is lame. Be better.

Edited by A TRAIN 89
  • Like 1